General Can anyone explain how Brisbane get sooooo many Friday night games?

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Is there a legitimate and unbiased reason why Brisbane have played 13 of 16 games this year on a Friday night, as well as 2 of their next 4. How can this not be an advantage? The players will be used to playing at the same time and on the same day each week. I don't understand how they can give one team such an advantage without being challenged by the other teams.

Thoughts?

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
ive read, and heard on radio sport (from the ausy correspondents), that its because they rate on tv. supposedly they get big ratings in both qld and nsw.

edit: i guess that probably indicates that queensland doesnt really care about nsw teams whereas nsw is a bit more open minded.. and brisbane play a lot of nsw teams

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
They are the team to watch imo....they play an entertaining brand of footy.....not as good as they once were but still good start to the NRL weekend with them on Fridays.

If we were more consistent I'd love to see us earn the same Favor. I like watching the Broncos play, and unless its against Manly or the cheats...I watch to see them get beaten

I'm a bit more partial to watching them now they have So many kiwis....especially like keeping an eye on Hoffman he's our best find in a long while.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
they want a qld team on friday night for ratings in qld. broncos being most liked/followed out of the 3 teams. i think it's stupid. tallis hates it because he cant take his family to an afternoon game in the sun. on the plus side, the broncos are so used to playing friday nights that they wont win the comp unless they move the grand final to friday night

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Hence need to bring in another QLD side. 4 Qld teams will ensure that at least one of the Friday nights will always feature a Qld team. I wonder where the fans of the Bombers will come from i.e. current Broncos fans? fans of other teams (the Broncs are still unliked by many in Bris)? new fans to RL?

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
they want a qld team on friday night for ratings in qld. broncos being most liked/followed out of the 3 teams. i think it's stupid. tallis hates it because he cant take his family to an afternoon game in the sun. on the plus side, the broncos are so used to playing friday nights that they wont win the comp unless they move the grand final to friday night
Thats right, channel 9 decides the free to air games, so to get the friday night ratings they believe the broncs are the team Qlders are most likely to watch, however they seem to ignore the fact that many Qld residents are imports or actually follow different teams. It seems to be one of several reasons plenty of people hope 9 lose the broadcast rights.

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It May have to do with a media group like news corp owning the broncos,money talks sport is a business and the game becomes a second thought, when big media gets evolved,I'm pretty sure that news corp will have a finger in the NRL pie,they say the draw is computerized like the lottery,obviously they don't draw the day the night and the time the same way, that happens behind closed doors in a cigar hazed dimly lite room with shady dealings and secret hand shakes,it dose suck however that Brisbane get all the friday night games though, the warriors get a high proportion of their home games on a Sunday afternoon,and there's nothing better than going too The footy,on a sunday afternoon with the family with the sun on ya back and a smile on your face if the boys get up and win.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I think that the club's are asked when they would prefer to have their home games. I remember a discussion I had with a Broncos supporter who said they prefer Friday nights because it suits a lot of their followers to go to the stadium straight after work.

I mentioned one day to a person who was involved in the Warriors why so many of their games are on Sunday afternoons in the middle of the season and he said because it was more comfortable for the fans then than at night time but they prefer night games when it's warmer as they tend to get a bigger crowd at Mt Smart.

Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
NRL & Channel 9 agreed to at least have 1 QLD Team play on friday night and because Broncos get really good numbers to the games they decide that Broncos will most likely get it.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
NRL & Channel 9 agreed to at least have 1 QLD Team play on friday night and because Broncos get really good numbers to the games they decide that Broncos will most likely get it.
Do you know if the NRL has any say in which team plays at what day once the fixtures have been released, or is it solely Channel 9 decision?

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's a tv rights thing. NRL gets no say I believe. Nine choses what they want and then fox gets a pick, so on. Something like that either way. It's why fixtures aren't released all at once (as relates to exact days)

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's a tv rights thing. NRL gets no say I believe. Nine choses what they want and then fox gets a pick, so on. Something like that either way. It's why fixtures aren't released all at once (as relates to exact days)
I see, just in case an underdog at the start of the year becomes a top4 team near the end of it, huh?

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I thiiink so. I'm not 100% sure if that's it. But I've seen it written as something like that. I'm sure one of the boys will be along tomorrow with a spot on explanation haha.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I see, just in case an underdog at the start of the year becomes a top4 team near the end of it, huh?
I think you're exactly right. The Monday night games tend to be one of the first gametimes decided, because they try to get the most highly rated match-ups on Monday night. That is one of the reasons the Warriors get very few Monday night games, which I am happy about. I hate Monday night games.

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think you're exactly right. The Monday night games tend to be one of the first gametimes decided, because they try to get the most highly rated match-ups on Monday night. That is one of the reasons the Warriors get very few Monday night games, which I am happy about. I hate Monday night games.
Oh yes totally agree with Monday night games,I hate them.i really think the players hate them,just like the song from the boom town rats,tell me why I don't like Mondays?its because they suck,so no more dreary Monday night games please
saying that though the sharks seem to relish them,hm go figure,

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I like monday games when it's not us. It's a good way to transition into the week. It must screw with the players schedules pretty badly though.

Top Bottom