Staff Cameron George

Reaction score

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It was posted on here. I think by Mr Brownstone.
From memory Doyle had stated that Kearney was always his first choice due to witnessing first hand his work with the Kiwis but initially turned down the role. This lead to Toovey coming very close to getting the role (on NRL 360 he said they were at a point where they were starting to talk t's and c's). Kearney then had a change of heart and the job was his.

Whether it was as straightforward as that I don't know, but that's how it was reported.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

🦄
Reaction score
and didn't want SK as coach
Geoff Toovey
Is this the voices again?
Doyle added that though the Warriors had a shortlist - and had been in touch with several other options - Kearney was always the favoured option.

"He was our first pick choice," said Kearney. "We had various options in front of us, but he was an number one candidate and we are pleased he has come on board."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11708799
--
How can someone be so wrong so often. Believe it or not its ok to not say anything if you dont know the answer.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It was posted on here. I think by Mr Brownstone.
I never said that - I was surprised to read your post yesterday saying Doyle didn't want Kearney. What I do recall however was that Toovey thought he was very close to landing the job at some stage in the coach recruitment process.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I never said that - I was surprised to read your post yesterday saying Doyle didn't want Kearney. What I do recall however was that Toovey thought he was very close to landing the job at some stage in the coach recruitment process.
Somebody posted it here, I thought it was you, but somebody did. I had no inside info and had always though Doyle wanted SK.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Cameron George talks a good ‘game’ and as he is entering year two what has he done? Some would say there is a used car sales feel about some of the things he says ... Graeme Carden.

Positive:
A very good year on the field in 2018. The team made the top eight for the first time since 2011.

I’m thinking that he’s done a good job in gaining further sponsors I.e. Mazda and retaining the likes of Vodafone and Wendy’s

The media seem to like and respect him

Negative:
Didn’t handle the SJ departure very well, especially now that the team is struggling in the halves

There is a negative vibe amongst fans with SK refusing to drop players such as Kata

TBC:
Re-signed SK on a long term coaching deal

The team is performing below fans expectations in 2019 ( on par with Aussie media predictions). Many hard games to come

There is a lack of depth in the squad with the reserve grade near the bottom of the table and the top team outside of the eight

Despite a number of innovative campaigns such as slashing season ticket prices, giving away free tickets to Blues supporters, offering a money back policy after 6 (?) rounds and also opening the games after the ChCh terror attack, crowds still aren’t great, average to date around 15K?? The crowd revenue based on net net sales must be below budget too

Generally a sports team is so reliant upon their on field performances.

What do you think of Mr George thus far?

Last edited:
Reaction score
jonno

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Cameron George talks a good ‘game’ and as he is entering year two what has he done? Some would say there is a used car sales feel about some of the things he says ... Graeme Carden.

Positive:
A very good year on the field in 2018. The team made the top eight for the first time since 2011.

I’m thinking that he’s done a good job in gaining further sponsors I.e. Mazda and retaining the likes of Vodafone and Wendy’s

Negative:
Didn’t handle the SJ departure very well, especially now that the team is struggling in the halves

There is a negative vibe amongst fans with SK refusing to drop players such as Kata

TBC:

The team is performing below fans expectations in 2019 ( on par with Aussie media predictions). Many hard games to come

There is a lack of depth in the squad with the reserve grade near the bottom of the table and the top team outside of the eight

Despite a number of innovative campaigns such as slashing season ticket prices, giving away free tickets to Blues supporters, offering a money back policy after 6 (?) rounds and also opening the games after the ChCh terror attack, crowds still aren’t great, average to date around 15K?? The crowd revenue based on net net sales must be below budget too

He's failed to solve the big problems. So he's going fail eventually.

Players are still behaving like this is a shitty 9-5 job, turning up for some games, and not turning up for others. There's not enough pros. That will be the death of his career here at the Warriors.

Reaction score
BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

Positive:

Negative:

TBC:

It’s a results driven business at the end of the day. No gimmick or sweet talk will hide that goal. The team performed above expectations in 2018 so credit where credit is due. However the bar was raised this year and currently it’s treading below expectations. If he can get the financials to compensate them maybe that will help, but all his marketing strategy eg free tickets and $$$ returns assume new fans are going to watch a winning team play. If they go and watch a team get flogged by +40 I don’t see how any form of marketing helps. Better to save that coin on better things eg renovations and retaining good staff.

Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Positive:

Negative:

TBC:

I think so far he has a lot better than Mr Doyle

Reaction score

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
To be fair he has some knowledgeable people in the club, he is an administrator not a football manager and you would think they make the football calls.

Yes if he sees the wheels falling off he has to make the calls.

By not replacing SJ is questionable but still are there other reasons?

Who actually makes the recruitment decisions? I would think the football management rather than the CEO.

Retaining SK certainly the CEO, so that would be one of his KPI's

Reaction score

East Stand

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Cameron George has done a great job at the Warriors!

-the team has improved.
-membership figures are very strong and crowd numbers have improved substantially.
-resigned RTS before the start of last year.
-standards across the board have been raised.
-Game Day experience has improved dramatically. The Entertainment area at the bottom of the hill is very well done, with plenty for different types of fans.
-ticket initiatives are great. Did a lot of this with Ellerslie Racecourse.
-merchandise remains strong if not greatly improved.
-brought in class operators in their field, Corvo, O’Sullivan
-managed to resign players the club has wanted to re-sign (RTS, Fus).
-oversaw a messy sale of the club last year with minimal fuss on the players.
-pathways seem greatly improved, Flegg team are competing well showing the people brought in are getting results.

Not too sure what most people want more out of a CEO?

Reaction score

East Stand

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
very questionable. He also let our halfback walk without a vaild replacement. We have a million free in the cap and are playing like a team with a million free in the cap
Well his first season we made the 8, an improvement on the 6 years previous. With a regular season win ratio being in the top 3 in club history. Still early this season to write of a chance of seeing improvement again. But any suggestion we havn’t improved since 2017 is out of the question.

Or you keep a halfback that doesn’t want to be here and continue to pay him a million dollars.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well his first season we made the 8, an improvement on the 6 years previous. With a regular season win ratio being in the top 3 in club history. Still early this season to write of a chance of seeing improvement again. But any suggestion we havn’t improved since 2017 is out of the question.

Or you keep a halfback that doesn’t want to be here and continue to pay him a million dollars.
Just like in politics, a lot of results are seeded prior to the present campaign.
SK started the process with basic no frills footy in 2017 with the aim to bed in a foundation of the game, completions. 2018 he added another foundation of the game in defence and with help from Corvo the team's growth
begun to show in much celebrated results.
Leading into 2019 there was turn over in supporting coaches and the rhetoric was a new emphasis on attacking footy, however the loss of SJ crippled the teams offensive ability to build on the previous seasons results. I also hazard to guess that the SJ and Luke fiascos had an influence on team members and how in their own minds management might actually value individuals, especially in light of millions being tabled for an unknown, untried player from another club.

So you reap what you sow, let's see how well the club has done at the end of the season before proclaiming virtues and success on anyone..

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Cameron George has done a great job at the Warriors!

-the team has improved.
-membership figures are very strong and crowd numbers have improved substantially.
-resigned RTS before the start of last year.
-standards across the board have been raised.
-Game Day experience has improved dramatically. The Entertainment area at the bottom of the hill is very well done, with plenty for different types of fans.
-ticket initiatives are great. Did a lot of this with Ellerslie Racecourse.
-merchandise remains strong if not greatly improved.
-brought in class operators in their field, Corvo, O’Sullivan
-managed to resign players the club has wanted to re-sign (RTS, Fus).
-oversaw a messy sale of the club last year with minimal fuss on the players.
-pathways seem greatly improved, Flegg team are competing well showing the people brought in are getting results.

Not too sure what most people want more out of a CEO?
Thanks for highlighting all this Cam😉

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
He has done better than Ian Robson, who was as bad as it gets and probably better than Doyle because he has left the football to the football department. He hasn't had the immediate impact Mick Watson had, but that was before Mick went nuts. I cannot see George going nuts.

SJ was not his fault IMO. It was an inevitability with short term consequences However it sounds like it was more of his decision than the football department which is a worry. They key will be making good use of that spare million for next season.

As for the marketing, by giving away the season tickets cheap the team will have to be an absolute disaster on the field not to get fans to renew their seats in October, which means early memberships, and if the team pulls finger maybe even a price rise.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
It’s a results driven business at the end of the day.
There is lies the rub for the office. No matter what they do if the on field results suck then so will all sales.

Personally I love what he has achieved at the club in the short time he has been there. Some of the innovative sponsorship and membership deals that have been implemented have bought a lot of new money into the club. The refund on memberships, sponsors only paying when the club win, bring on Mazda, Chemist Warehouse, OlaCabs and G-Shock and the new merchandise direction the club have taken that has resulted in the second best ever sales numbers since 1995. Membership numbers are up at just shy of 17,000.

Not sure what else he can do. From a financial standpoint the club is looking awesome. The rest of it is up to Brian Smiths department...

Reaction score
Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Guy is doing ok, this is the hardest CEO gig in the world keeping our forum happy. Expectation never met is always a disappointment.

Top Bottom