Staff Cameron George

Do you sack Cameron George

• Total voters

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
My formative years watching league was the Lowe Manly era when games were being broadcast on NZ terrestrial TV. He was the face of the NZ game, and very well-respected for what he was doing in both NZ and Aus.

I find it curious that despite him being a household name as this great coach (the only NZer to coach Origin) that he has actually had a very, very short coaching career.

Manly, North Queensland, The Kiwis and Queensland SoO adds up to just over 100 games. (under half of Brown's games, roughly the equivalent of Trent Barrett). Obviously there is a big ESL career there (same for Brown).

He also seems to have a history for heated clashes and relationship breakdowns.

I'm not denying there is a lot to respect and thank Lowe for in New Zealand rugby league history. It would nice if we could get sound-bytes from someone whose last coaching job wasn't 26 years ago. I'd rather hear from Mannering.
It's as bad as listening to blocker Roach on a Sunday afternoon!

Kiwishark

U20's Player
Oct 7, 2020
Lowe lost me when he was complaining about recruitment. Saying Lodge has been a failure is also a weird point. Besides the suspensions which have been pretty minor he's been good. We look better when he's on the field, especially with Addin Fonua-Blake on at the same time.

O'Sullivan in charge of our recruitment it does seem like there is a plan or a goal to change the squad.

He's the talking head the media often offer up. I tend to remember that he was in charge of the club when it was at its worst.
O'Sullivan is in charge of recruitment and has failed other than Walsh and Addin Fonua-Blake who was always going to be a good signing! Recruited his son in law, clears the decks to get his son game time! Both him and George need to go

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Since Cameron George is speaking presently, I would like his take on the scathing assessment from Sir Graham Lowe.

There are many valid points that he makes and I would like to see some changes around Nathan Brown.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/ru...on-miserable-note/EZMIMA226TU62XHZPH7AY7OTXA/
Thanks for the post.

Graham Lowe can be very intelligent, but that is just a whinge.

He wasn't perfect himself, especially on tour, but he is still the most successful Kiwi coach in the NRL.

Dunno how he gets on with Mohawk, probably knows him well so in that regard it is an interesting comment.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
O'Sullivan is in charge of recruitment and has failed other than Walsh and Addin Fonua-Blake who was always going to be a good signing! Recruited his son in law, clears the decks to get his son game time! Both him and George need to go
Montoya, Curran, Pompey, Aitken have been good.
Katoa and Murchie were great last year but gone side ways or backwards this year.
Sironen and Ben Murdoch-Masila have shown glimpses, hopefully learned where to use them best for next year.
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Lodge came mid season so can’t expect them to slot straight in.
More than happy with recruitment and the building of the team personally.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Montoya, Curran, Pompey, Aitken have been good.
Katoa and Murchie were great last year but gone side ways or backwards this year.
Sironen and Ben Murdoch-Masila have shown glimpses, hopefully learned where to use them best for next year.
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Lodge came mid season so can’t expect them to slot straight in.
More than happy with recruitment and the building of the team personally.
yeah but apart from all of them, Addin Fonua-Blake and Walsh our recruitment has been terrible!

Even Sean O'Sullivan on the little money he is on has been ok - good back up half. Who would have played instead of him?

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
For those that wish, I recommend that you google "The Optimist". The Optimist is a long time racing journalist Brian De Lore who has written articles about Cameron George which clearly outline his integrity / values.
Heyzeuss spare me, he doesn't hold back!!!.

I don't know the guy but "foot in the mouth" should not surprise anybody here...does it.

My guess is he has a long brown tongue, often exhibited by people a strong owner wants to use but keep in check. I was going to say cheap as well, but he seems to know how to sniff out the money. :rolleyes:

My bottom line is he seems to hang around outfits on the way down, that might be a bad omen for us.

Reactions: Defence and Akkerz

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
he is still the most successful Kiwi coach in the NRL.

That is pretty depressing considering his Manly, NQ, NZ and QLd record is less than 50%.

Is this the Warriors biggest issue? We just have no Kiwis that have proven themselves to be influential and intelligent managers at the top of the game.

Is Steven Kearney the best in the last 20 years?

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
yeah but apart from all of them, Addin Fonua-Blake and Walsh our recruitment has been terrible!

Even Sean O'Sullivan on the little money he is on has been ok - good back up half. Who would have played instead of him?
I agree. Add to that his track record (not his stand down) and I can’t understand any criticism. For a good laugh, have a look at Tony Kemps views regarding how awful our recruitment has been.

Geoff Public

Fold some clown
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
Let's start with Bruce Sharrock, is he not an agent for a number of Warriors' players?

He just landed a plumb job with NZ Thoroughbred Racing paying a few hundred thousand a year. When he applied for the job he was on the Board of NZ Thoroughbred Racing with The Chairman Cameron George. A robust selection process Not!
Uumm, Bruce's father Bob was in Racing administration including as Chairman of the NZ Trainers Association . His brother Alan is a trainer. Bruce is likely to have a few more contacts than Cameron George.

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016

What about Montoya, arguably our player of the year? Curran who looks massively promising at only 22? The return of Shaun Johnson? Aitken who has finally provided a bit of firepower on the edge? Hell, even Dallin Watene-Zelezniak who is the first Warriors winger with pace in donkeys years?

To say he's failed because he brought his son in as a depth signing on a cheap contract is taking the piss. We're building the nucleus of a strong squad and have addressed areas of concern that have existed for years.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Is this the Warriors biggest issue? We just have no Kiwis that proven themselves to be influential and intelligent managers at the top of the game.
That is the million dollar question.

Having said that involvement in the NRL is not a money spinner unless you are a Lebanese player agent.

The NZRFU are not over endowed with management talent either.

It is too big a business to be a sport, and too big a sport to be a business.

Heckle me if you like, but we might be fortunate to have Mohawk around.

The wealthiest league man I know is John Banks who is only worth $16 million. I don't know if Mohawk is worth much more. That isn't a lot these days. 32 Warriors fans would be able to come up with that jointly.

However I remember when Watson got given the club (yes he did) I was told that he really only had to supply backing. The NRL pays for most things.

Although I doubt facilities would come under the NRL. Brookvale Oval is a dump compared to MSS.

hacksaw

Waterboy
Jun 27, 2020
Uumm, Bruce's father Bob was in Racing administration including as Chairman of the NZ Trainers Association . His brother Alan is a trainer. Bruce is likely to have a few more contacts than Cameron George.

Perhaps if you read the article written by The Optimist it will out line the old boys network at the top of racing which Cameron George has fed from and assisted.

Reactions: bruce

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
That is pretty depressing considering his Manly, NQ, NZ and QLd record is less than 50%.

Is this the Warriors biggest issue? We just have no Kiwis that have proven themselves to be influential and intelligent managers at the top of the game.

Is Steven Kearney the best in the last 20 years?

We do, they just choose not to play for us lol

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I used to follow racing a lot when I was young. My extended family were well connected to the industry.

I gave betting away when I got married and had to pay for a house.

Decades later I got invited to Ellerslie for a meeting, to the members area. When I used to go that was for very well connected people, all wearing suits and smoking cigars.

I couldn't believe what I saw, the dress was really down market and hardly anybody was in the public areas, that was all hotels and other buildings now.

I looked at the stakes for winning, they seemed not much more than my day and definitely not inflation adjusted.

The industry is clearly on the way down, just look at Avondale.:rolleyes:

I heard that to survive trainers had to be very resourceful, say no more ;) ;)
certainly in Cameron George we do not have top drawer management, to say the least;);).

Reactions: Akkerz and RiceOwl

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I used to follow racing a lot when I was young. My extended family were well connected to the industry.

I gave betting away when I got married and had to pay for a house.

Decades later I got invited to Ellerslie for a meeting, to the members area. When I used to go that was for very well connected people, all wearing suits and smoking cigars.

I couldn't believe what I saw, the dress was really down market and hardly anybody was in the public areas, that was all hotels and other buildings now.

I looked at the stakes for winning, they seemed not much more than my day and definitely not inflation adjusted.

The industry is clearly on the way down, just look at Avondale.:rolleyes:

I heard that to survive trainers had to be very resourceful, say no more ;) ;)
certainly in Cameron George we do not have top drawer management, to say the least;);).
Last time I went to Ellerslie there was not much difference between the members and public stands. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago. A lot of trainers survive on selling horses overseas

• Love
Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
A lot of trainers survive on selling horses overseas
The top breeders do that.

Sir Patrick Hogan used to invite them out fishing with all the trimmings. If they didn't buy one of his horses they didn't get invited next year...he boasted about it!!!

What I heard about the trainers was they went to the sales at Karaka, buy something on account then spend a couple of months to syndicate it to people with stars in their eyes.

Watching the Karaka sales on TV is better than anything from Hollywood!!!

The opportunity of getting invited to the Presidents room and given a bottle of cheap plonk, and a framed photo of going past the winning post to keep for the rest of their life, really turns some people on, but whatever rocks their boat. :rolleyes:

If the thing turns out to be a dog they take it to the meetings to keep the good ones company on the float, and even skimp on feed for the poor things.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings