Post Match 2023 Broncos vs Warriors - Week 3 Finals (Post Match)

vs

-

MATCH COMPLETE

01 Jan 1970

Match Stats

Tries
Conversions
/ Field Goals /
/ 2P Field Goals /
Try Assists
% Possession %
/ Set Completion /
Time in Opposition Half
Metres Gained
Dropouts
Dummy Half Runs
/ Kicks/Kick Metres /
40/20
20/40
Offloads
1 on 1 Steals
Line Breaks
Line Break Assists
Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Rate the Match !

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• E

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, because he spent the other '50%' making a game high number of tackles.
Notice you can't seem to pass on making a comment most games about Tohu Harris 'walking' or 'on the ground' or some other position -to make point you think he's past it, not up to it?
You must spend the whole game focused on what he's doing 😆
You must also see that he does more than his fair share of everything, still is where he ought to be when the time comes, and that's why you see him doing that - he's in most plays!
All Forwards take moments to recover throughout games, but you only have critical 👀 for one doing it 😆
Tohu wasnt right though, I didn't notice he was injured but good tackles were so undominant and the broncos were getting front foot ball because of it. He wasn't the only one like you say but it's usually something you wouldn't see from him, mind you haas was unfuckingbelievably good.

Tohu wasnt right though, I didn't notice he was injured but good tackles were so undominant and the broncos were getting front foot ball because of it. He wasn't the only one like you say but it's usually something you wouldn't see from him, mind you haas was unfuckingbelievably good.

Not enough credit to Brisbane. They were fantastic positioning themselves for a low risk offload.

Not like that piece of 💩 brain fart offload by Jazz just before HT

he cannot say anything else in public, but they file a match report and I doubt he would hold back there. I would love to read some of Ricky Stuarts!!!
His reports are probably indecipherable due to all of the swearing. When he calls the refs boss on Monday mornings its probably like the old Asterix comics.

1695715016168.png

Yeah agree.

I hope next year that our fan base develops some new paradigms next year and if we get a rubbish call in a game we don’t blame the whole loss on that rubbish call. I also hope we stop discussing rubbish calls altogether lots of teams get dudded. Bad calls are part of all sports. Try my sport of choice cricket where you can get sawn off by a bad lbw call and that ends your game if you are a batsman.

Where’s Inruin so he can agree with me?

No, haven't missed the positive, like everything on here the positive comments are great and generally criticism is constructive, so no worries here mate!
It was the hyperbole that got me, "50% of the time". Its a wonder he has a career! 😆
To be fair, I know the 50% was a kind of throw-away bit...or was it 👀
[/QUOTE]

Not in the prelim. Don't sure if it was a knock, or injury or what. Extremely pronounced.

I hope next year that our fan base develops some new paradigms next year and if we get a rubbish call in a game we don’t blame the whole loss on that rubbish call. I also hope we stop discussing rubbish calls altogether lots of teams get dudded. Bad calls are part of all sports. Try my sport of choice cricket where you can get sawn off by a bad lbw call and that ends your game if you are a batsman.

Agree that those little things like the non-call on Egan's head high happen all the time - it was minimal contact so no way was the bunker ever going to put it on report and rightly so. But its fair enough that the forward pass is being talked about - it was so blatantly bizarre it even blew up in the Australian media. Think of it as an lbw which pitched from a metre outside leg stump.

he cannot say anything else in public, but they file a match report and I doubt he would hold back there. I would love to read some of Ricky Stuarts!!!
Oh I love Webby's response I'm not referring to that. Give me him a million times over compared to Stickys whinging. Webby can't directly call out the refs but talking heads can.

It's been a few days now....
After several re-watches of the game, I'm ready to give my thoughts without having emotion speak for me.
Although high up, I had a pretty square on vantage point.

I don't think I'm breaking a first news story when saying their offloads and second phase play ripped us to shreds, they were so expansive I'd find it hard to suggest that anyone could've defended against that better. In saying that, we clearly went in with a plan to not over commit too many players to tackles in fear they could find themselves with extra holes in the defensive line to penetrate as they've been great at that all year.
We simply couldn't secure the ball when making our tackles, our defense wasn't bad at all, it just didn't work against their strategy, credit to them as they clearly studied our defensive shapes well going into this one.

I do however have a problem with the length of time they were allowed to lay on us in tackles, they went seemingly unpunished for what would have been numerous set restarts or penalties awarded to us especially coming out of our end, another inconsistency of individual refereeing styles where there's no doubt in my mind under one of the other officials, we would've seen a vastly different outcome and far better territorial field position.

Going up by 4's is never ideal, even more so in such a high stakes game but they were as hard as conversions get and Pompey didn't miss by much, I feel for him as no doubt he's still holding onto that and will do for some time. Reynolds on the other hand, he iced those moments, it's easy to sit here and suggest SJ would've nailed our kicks but we will never know for sure.

I still have little to no voice after protesting about that pass, well both passes in fact. There's a deeper issue though and I'm not afraid to say it, yes, the passes were ungodly forward but the space they created to put themselves into the position to throw them.....that's on us. It did kill momentum and we rightly should've been starting a fresh set on the 50m line, who knows what would have unfolded after that point....which is hard to deal with, it well and truly could've put us in a position to be down only 6 at 24-18 after we earned the right to be in the grind in the early stages of the second 40.

I honestly feel that for the first time we felt like all hope was lost, it was an unfair knife in the back and 100% deflating, the guys would've been feeling they were still in with a chance up to this point and now that feeling was now all but gone.

The whole stadium felt a shift from that point, I've never been in a position at a game where the opposition fans were shaking their heads at disgust and actually saying sorry, they know how well and truly ripped off we were in that moment.

Leaving the stadium, aside from the odd Broncos supporter who'd had a few too many Milton mango's carrying on like a right plum, it was respectful and quite sombre. I couldn't help but feel bad for their fans in some respects, aside from them getting the win they knew that there had been a great blunder which would overshadow the fact they were the better team and rightly deserved the win, this I truly believe.

We deserved better, the whole of the NRL think we deserved better. I just hope we can put ourselves in a similar position next season, give it another crack and hopefully let the game do the talking and not the headlines in the aftermath.

Aside from the results, what a day.......our fans are something else. Next year is OFFICIALLY "Our Year".

suncorp.jpg

I disagree...strongly.

Our club has been on the wrong end of shite calls since 1995, including the first ever game against the Broncos.

For the bandwagoners, Joe Vagana scored a try and the referee, a Queenslander, I think Eddie Ward ruled he hadn't made the line. We lost the game 22-25!!!!!!:eek:. The call was shite and everybody knew it.

Eddie Ward is a decent guy, and was a good referee, but it was still a shite call and cost us not only the game but a place in the finals, eventually.

John Monie, was stoic about it, saying you win some bad calls, you lose some. He was wrong but it was fair enough to say that publicly.

I remember early on the Aussie players saying they noticed the differences in bad calls here compared with when they were playing for Aussie clubs.

The 2023 team didn't drop a lip, not once, but the SK version definitely did, and those bad calls cost us.

That forward pass made Brisbane feel better, and us feel worse, and blew the scoreline out.

So I don't care about the whys and wherefores...but the fact is we have been getting more than our share of shite calls for 28 years.

Rant over
1695781260149.png

I don't think I'm breaking a first news story when saying their offloads and second phase play ripped us to shreds, they were so expansive I'd find it hard to suggest that anyone could've defended against that better.
The Channel nine experts agree, and say that is the way to beat Penrith too.
The Eels beat Penrith by making them run around chasing the ball.
The Broncos made it look so easy, but it isn't.
Offloads are not a percentage play, and Webby quite rightly has been working on our weakness which was defence, and avoiding errors when in possession.
So no dumb offloads.
The Broncos offloads were SBW standard, and he still is the benchmark IMO.
He cannot make a super team overnight, and I would not be surprised if we see an increase in offloads in the future, but there are other things to work on first I think..
I am guessing the Panthers will be shitting themselves watching that replay, because we had a sound defence, and one week is not enough for them to plan counter measures...but we will see.

I agree we can never win the comp with a bias against us. We can’t play 30% better than the second best team to overcome the bias. It’s impossible.

There was a noticeable difference to the calls before and after our sponsors waded in early in the season.

The NRL always has played favourites. 7/8 finals games so far have gone to the higher ranked teams with a string of dubious calls against the lower team. With all top teams there should be more upsets…

While the team can’t use it as an excuse, the club must have a strategy to let the NRL know we won’t accept Australian referee's unconsciously treating us as a foreign team…

Ultimately it comes from the top and I believe higher expectations need to be expected from the refs who earn $300k+ and should have a very high level of accountability.

No doubt we'll need to sort the ref thing before we can get over the top. We placed top 4 easily this year so the losing narrative should be done with. It was very easy to predict we'd get the shaft in both the Penrith and Broncos games, there was never a doubt. Yes they are better sides but they were allowed to lay in the ruck to the extreme in both games, which as mentioned in this thread adds up to a whole lot of other advantages with the quicker play the ball. Add that on top of the howlers literally always going against us in those games and it's insurmountable.

Same as the anzac game every year.

Saying shit like gotta take the refs out of it is farcical. Yes just be 50% better than the best teams in the NRL and the refs won't matter, idiotic. We need a level playing field against the best sides, and we need a strategy to achieve it.
Why the heck don’t we have an Anzac Day game in nz? 3pm kick off nz time would be 1pm oz time. It just make sense - storm can keep their game and we set up something against the broncos, hell I’d even take dolphins….

Why the heck don’t we have an Anzac Day game in nz? 3pm kick off nz time would be 1pm oz time. It just make sense - storm can keep their game and we set up something against the broncos, hell I’d even take dolphins….
It's an absolute joke and sums up the warriors treatment. The game is on at a ridiculous time for NZ, against the most dominant team for twenty years, and played away 100% of the time. We also get shafted on calls every single time, even when the storm don't need the help.

Great post Bruce Bruce , when bad calls go against the same team(s) again and again over years it's not something to be hand waved away.

I agree we can never win the comp with a bias against us. We can’t play 30% better than the second best team to overcome the bias. It’s impossible.

There was a noticeable difference to the calls before and after our sponsors waded in early in the season.

The NRL always has played favourites. 7/8 finals games so far have gone to the higher ranked teams with a string of dubious calls against the lower team. With all top teams there should be more upsets…

While the team can’t use it as an excuse, the club must have a strategy to let the NRL know we won’t accept Australian referee's unconsciously treating us as a foreign team…

Ultimately it comes from the top and I believe higher expectations need to be expected from the refs who earn $300k+ and should have a very high level of accountability.

It is all well and good talking about playing the Ref out of the game but as you point out, that is impossible against the current top sides under these new rules.

Tonga did it. Against New Zealand first, then Australia, and various Kiwi sides have played the Ref out of the contest.

But to do that you have to have a team which we could currently never assemble because of the Salary cap (which is a rort in of itself).

Part of the solution is for the Warriors to keep winning, create a narrative that cheats the cap within its very loosely and unfairly applied 'rules'.

Start with the Roosters propaganda about players wanting to come here on unders (check, SJ stays on one year for unders).

Milk the home sickness ex Kiwi players willing to come home for less story.

Get creative with third party deals (we have to be winning to even atract sponsors, this is doable if we go top four next season as well).

Play as many crucial games at home by virtue of finishing top two (yeah ok easy in principle, but flies in the face of the reffing they have to deal with to get there).

Add these manipulations of the salary cap on top of the real solution - better development pathways.

All of these things are achievable if we hold onto the owner of the club, Head coach, Recruitment and development head.

In future we will need the best defensive side that has ever been assembled, buying big props won't achieve that.

Last edited:
It is all well and good talking about playing the Ref out of the game but as you point out, that is impossible against the current top sides under these new rules.
Back in 1984 or 1985 the French referee ruled us out of a test against Oz at Carlaw. It was disgusting and almost gave Graham Lowe a nervous breakdown.
The public were incensed as well. There was a repeat test the following weekend at Carlaw.
So Lowe took the team on a walk down Queen Street and it was almost like a ticker tape parade.
Armed with that sense of support and indignation the Kiwis went out on the weekend and demolished the Kangaroos, who didn't know had had struck them.
You can do that sometimes, but not every week.

I disagree...strongly.

Our club has been on the wrong end of shite calls since 1995, including the first ever game against the Broncos.

For the bandwagoners, Joe Vagana scored a try and the referee, a Queenslander, I think Eddie Ward ruled he hadn't made the line. We lost the game 22-25!!!!!!:eek:. The call was shite and everybody knew it.

Eddie Ward is a decent guy, and was a good referee, but it was still a shite call and cost us not only the game but a place in the finals, eventually.

John Monie, was stoic about it, saying you win some bad calls, you lose some. He was wrong but it was fair enough to say that publicly.

I remember early on the Aussie players saying they noticed the differences in bad calls here compared with when they were playing for Aussie clubs.

The 2023 team didn't drop a lip, not once, but the SK version definitely did, and those bad calls cost us.

That forward pass made Brisbane feel better, and us feel worse, and blew the scoreline out.

So I don't care about the whys and wherefores...but the fact is we have been getting more than our share of shite calls for 28 years.

Rant over
View attachment 962
Eddie might have been a decent guy and a good referee but he didn’t ref the Warriors first NRL game.

Bill Harrigan was the ref

Back