Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For all those who are dead sick of hearing me mention neoliberalism, and the minority who aren't, here's a good definition
View attachment 4812

Kinda sums up new zealand and the lot in power at the moment.
It’s like calling someone wanting equal right for all races, racist. Or left voters being communists or right voters far right. It’s dramatisation, isn’t it.

NZ doesn’t meet that definition. We are not unbridled capitalism. Health, education, etc are public. Our housing is controlled by rules and regulations, etc.

Nothing public has been privatised or deregulated by this govt, or if it is it’s very minor. The majority of core government services are public. Taxes are at record levels with lack of indexation and many new taxes. I regard it that we are returning taxes to normal and in no way are we a low tax country.

NZ is a mix of capitalism with significant public and social services. Our parties tweak rather than moving the bar significantly. For perspective the left of US politics would still be to the right of Act.

I'm waiting for the Tough on Crime parties to do something.
I am also waiting for their solution to the nation's three waters infrastructure issues on a day where all Auckland beaches have actual human shit on them, plus their proposal for the Picton wharves and ferry terminal (which will be unusable in about 18 months due to continued historic underinvestment).

I was humored to read about Queenstown’s “new” rental crisis. Certainly wasn’t an issue in 2000-2010 when I lived there. I mean living in tents, cabins at the camping ground for $500 p/w, or paying $1000/w if you dared want an actual house. So it took 5 people to fill. Then the $1000/m power bills would hit.

That was nearly 20yrs ago. Glad that’s ancient history 👀

Last edited:
Reactions: kos
I was humored to read about Queenstown’s “new” rental crisis. Certainly wasn’t an issue in 2000-2010 when I lived there. I mean living in tents, cabins at the camping ground for $500 p/w, or paying $1000/w if you dared want an actual house. So it took 5 people to fill. Then the $1000/m power bills would hit.

Like the complaints about shit in Auckland beaches and what’s National going to do about it… been like that for every as well.

The stormwater system floods with sewage in many older areas and has been since forever.

But National in there 3 weeks haven’t fixed it yet 🤷‍♂️

Like the complaints about shit in Auckland beaches and what’s National going to do about it… been like that for every as well.

The stormwater system floods with sewage in many older areas and has been since forever.

That’s true.

My issue isn’t National per se. Just the incompetence at the top. Luxon is probably quite well intentioned, just a moron.

I really don’t care whose’s sides in power. I finesse them both so.

The issue is they don't seem to have a plan. You formulate policy/plans whilst your in opposition, not wait until you are in govt.

They
The issue is they don't seem to have a plan. You formulate policy/plans whilst your in opposition, not wait until you are in govt.
They said they would be tough on crime, which made it seem like they would know exactly what to do. Just implement it for better or worse.

Problem is they not doing anything. They just want make mini mini mini fiscal plans that don't effect anyone.

They've cancelled Labour's plan to fix it and had 6 years to come up with an alternative

It’s not that there’s a “new“ rental crisis in Queenstown, its that other areas are now reaching the same level of crisis as what’s been happening in Queenstown for, as you say, decades.

And the immigration settings over the previous year means it will only get worse. New Zealand’s population has increased by the size of Hamilton but the overseas buyers ban means they can’t buy houses but have too rent for at least 12 months and get off work visa’s to the correct residency category.

Add landlords removing their houses from the rental pool and turning them into Air BnB’s which can make more money and claim the mortgage interest.

Well intended policies with very serious negative consequences.

They've cancelled Labour's plan to fix it and had 6 years to come up with an alternative.
To be fair, Auckland council has led the $1.2b central interceptor which comes online in 2025 and will make a huge different to sewage mixing with stormwater.

This was all done at a council level, the same as National has proposed. There plans are all online based around council led with higher regulations.

To be fair Labour had 6 years of planning and did bugger all to get 3 waters up and running. They couldn’t make it palatable and it had huge resistance. Dogs breakfast. Was never going to work in my opinion. With the level of hatred towards a policy it’s better to scrap it and start again.

To be fair, Auckland council has led the $1.2b central interceptor which comes online in 2025 and will make a huge different to sewage mixing with stormwater.

This was all done at a council level, the same as National has proposed. There plans are all online based around council led with higher regulations.

To be fair Labour had 6 years of planning and did bugger all to get 3 waters up and running. They couldn’t make it palatable and it had huge resistance. Dogs breakfast. Was never going to work in my opinion. With the level of hatred towards a policy it’s better to scrap it and start again.
Do you mean like the National party smoking laws

Back