Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Only players I could imagine them upgrading would be Metcalf as he can negotiate another contract past November, not sure what money he’s on but personally would want to see more before throwing too much money. Berry, who can also negotiate past November and could receive a money boost if seen as the other starting centre with RTS and Ford who also can negotiate and probably came over for a fairly cheap price and could get a bump in pay if extended.
I’d assume it’s more about getting our 2-3 young forwards into the top 30

Feel like he provides a lot more value at this stage than Jazz. Plays with a lot of energy and heart and covered centre well in an emergency. With Jazz unable to cover hooker, Curran offers more across the board.

It really seems odd we're under such salary cap pressure considering our roster and having SJ at basically half price. Our spine must be one of the cheapest in the NRL, apart from RTS our back should be dirt cheap too. Even with AFB and Tohu on big money, how are we so constrained? As far as I can see we have no albatross contracts, unless we're seriously paying 800k for DWZ which is absurd.
We have too many half’s on the books. “Cheap” half’s who are still considered starting quality would be on $400+
I have a feeling that Metcalf is already getting paid more than SJ

Bunty doesn't appear to cause any issues, he is a stalwart of the club, and looks to be a good mentor for the younger boys. I don't see how him leaving would move the needle.
The mentorship is why I mentioned nsw cup and think the club would see value in him for exactly the reasons you stated but players are often told they can look around because opportunities are going to scarce and another club may have a better opportunity. I wouldn’t imagine it’s the financial though.

Bunty being asked to move on is weird, considering he was extended for 2 more years not even 9 months ago now.. I get that things can change quickly, but I figured anyone who was signed or extended under Webby and/or Cappy's watch would be safe until at least the start of next season -
Bunty hasn't been asked to move on?

1697155098954.png

Last edited:
Yeah I was just about to say with Bunty I doubt they would have said 'we don't want you', but more of a 'we have a bunch of young guns coming through who were going to prioritise, if you can get a better contract somewhere else with more game time we won't stand in your way'.

The reality is, having a 100 game player like him in the wings is a good thing, as the jnrs will be inconsistent and can't play week in/week out for a whole year. There would be very few players who would be as cheap as Bunty, willing to come here and play 2nd fiddle to the newbies, so makes sense to keep him imo.

Also, wow with Curran on nearly 500k. If we can offload him and get Saifiti or someone else for around 700k a year, we could maybe be a bit crafty and pay him 500k Nek year and then back end a hundred K for the last few years. Would change our team dramatically.

Does anyone know the exact rules regarding medical retirement and how it affects the salary cap going forward?

I'm just thinking that Tohu and Wade are the two most likely Warriors to retire and wonder how their current issues - especially Wade's head knocks and the resulting Haitch High Heys over the last few seasons - might be best handled to get the Warriors some cap relief.

Edit: Just found this comment from an article about Jake Friend's retirement: As part of the NRL rules, clubs can apply for salary cap relief if a player is medically unable to continue playing, except when in the final year of their contract.

Which was Jake's position. So on that basis and looking at the chart above, the club could ask for salary cap relief for Wade but not for Tohu.

Last edited:
Has there been any talk about whats happening with DWZ after next season.
With reports that we're paying him 400k of his 800k salary, he must be looking at 500k minimum on his next contract with how he's playing.
Do we keep him on a high wage for a winger,chase JAC on a cut price offer or promote a winger we've already got on contract?

Also, forgot to mention I just saw Twal has extended until the end of 2027 (wow) with the Tigers.
Their huge backflip suggests something's on the cards and wanted to lock him down before releasing someone else, so I'm sitting here with the popcorn waiting to see who's up for musical chairs...
I'd love for it to be Utoikamanu.
There always seems to be articles about him being disgruntled with management.
Auckland born too
Was apparently on $500k according to that guessing game the DT put out

Has there been any talk about whats happening with DWZ after next season.
With reports that we're paying him 400k of his 800k salary, he must be looking at 500k minimum on his next contract with how he's playing.
Do we keep him on a high wage for a winger,chase JAC on a cut price offer or promote a winger we've already got on contract?
His 800k contract with the Bulldogs was just until the end of 2022.
DWZ and the Warriors will have negotiated a salary they were both happy with for 23 and 24. I think if we continue our form, this will be an example of us being able to re sign players on unders (or same) as they are happy here

Also, forgot to mention I just saw Twal has extended until the end of 2027 (wow) with the Tigers.
Their huge backflip suggests something's on the cards and wanted to lock him down before releasing someone else, so I'm sitting here with the popcorn waiting to see who's up for musical chairs...
The story I heard about that was that manly was offering to pay half of keppies salary so the tigers wanted to release twal, pick up keppie on the cheap and use twals money elsewhere but weren’t able to get the deal done in time and souths swooped in on keppie scuttling the tigers cunning plan…

Back