General Bring in more aussies.

Rangatira

For us to be successful we need more australians at the warriors. The way they are bought up in the league over there is much tougher than here. Their minds are switched on from a very early age, and are fully prepared, when they hit the nrl.
Us islanders, and maoris, dont have that. We are too set in our ways, and the old saying that you cant teach old dogs new tricks is very true. That is why we have such a turnover. Daniel Anderson struck that problem in 2003. He tried to bring a new strategy to the team, by making us bigger and stronger, but little did he know that fitness in any sport is a major ingredient. Hence we fell flat on our face.
I want to play for the Warriors, but last week got ordered off. Dont make my CV look that good. I am gona concentrate on fitness and attitude, just like the australian.

sebastian_old

It'd be a dream to put the jersey on, how close are you to playing league at a high level?? - Regarding aussies, i think we should be putting our funds into developing the young kiwi's so we can have our own SBW.

Skinny_Ravs82

The Warriors on record have two Australians who have started with the sides as pure rookies. 1- Brent Webb, 2 Grant Rovelli.
While Webby has tured into a ace fullback, and Ravs has ever potencial to be an ace halfback I still think keeping young NZ in the side (if money allows that) is good. We need a good balance of both and while it does a little lopsided at times it's not overly bad. The Kiwis are the special ones, and the aussies are the level headers. get the righ mix at the Warriors and you have something pretty darn special.

Jesbass_old

I think that if we were to focuse on any nationality, be it Australian or New Zealand, only narrows our chances of discovering a great player. Not every New Zealander lacks what many Australians have, and not all Australians have it. I'd be looking at every nationality - in Australasia and beyond.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Rangatira said:
For us to be successful we need more australians at the warriors. The way they are bought up in the league over there is much tougher than here. Their minds are switched on from a very early age, and are fully prepared, when they hit the nrl.
Us islanders, and maoris, dont have that. We are too set in our ways, and the old saying that you cant teach old dogs new tricks is very true. That is why we have such a turnover. Daniel Anderson struck that problem in 2003. He tried to bring a new strategy to the team, by making us bigger and stronger, but little did he know that fitness in any sport is a major ingredient. Hence we fell flat on our face.I want to play for the Warriors, but last week got ordered off. Dont make my CV look that good. I am gona concentrate on fitness and attitude, just like the australian.

That's a coaches/trainers error that had nothing to do with the race of the players involved. Would've been the same at any other club regardless of the Aussie/Kiwi ratio.

It's an easy generalisation to make that Islanders don't have what it takes mentally but there are dozens of examples throughout the NRL to prove otherwise. It's up to the individual, how bad he wants it and how hard he's willing to work for it. Anything else starts sounding like an excuse. It's more important for the Warriors to recognise the players who do have the right attitude and get to them early regardless of where they're from or what race they are.

danco_old

jesbass is right, we need to win and I dont care where they come from as long as they fit in and we win.but we must develope our own young.

Sinbad_old

Make your mind up rangatira. In one post you say no more aussies then in another post you say Fein for captain.

What are you on?

A song title comes to mind......

"Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer."

Jesbass_old

Sinbad said:
Make your mind up rangatira. In one post you say no more aussies then in another post you say Fein for captain.

What are you on?

A song title comes to mind......

"Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer."

Lol...he's a friend of yours, Sinbad. I think he's just trying to stir things up. ;)