Staff Brian Smith

Sup42

Sup42

Smith's a genius compared to the rest of us.

A man of his background is a professor of Rugby League where someone like Kearney is an undergrad.

Smith might not be popular, but he is one of three coaches with the level of experience the Warriors need to study and absorb to become 100 % professional.

Only Smith, Bennett, and Bellamy have the true depth of knowledge of how to build a team that builds a club.

Smith already knows the Warriors, his son Rohan was here.

We needed something like this twenty years ago.....oh well better late than never.....and I hope Bellamy is next to continue a realistic overhaul of our game here.

Reactions: 8 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
We needed something like this twenty years ago.....oh well better late than never.....and I hope Bellamy is next to continue a realistic overhaul of our game here.
Well we did have John Hart, there seems to be a thing with the Warriors that if you piss off the locals you get ganged on. They like their comfort zone and Smith will upset that big time. Oh to be a fly on the wall at the first few football staff meetings.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Generally Little

Generally Little

I think we have enough things in motion to at least expect a different result in 2018. There are new faces in the team. A new proven head trainer Corvo and Brian Smith with a shitload of experience to oversee the whole operation. Now we just need Kearney to prove he is not the worst coach in NRL history.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

He seems to have had a few feuds over the years with other coaches and players.

He has also had a consistent winning record as a coach over a very long period of time.

If a couple of staff members or players are upset along the way to the club winning more games then so be it.

Reactions: 6 users
#robbiemears

#robbiemears

I know Smithy personally and I think this appointment is the best thing the club have done since taking a punt on a untried Daniel Anderson all those years back. But for completely opposite reasons. As a few on here have already noted, Smithy is one of only a few Aussie coaches with the longstanding credentials to credibly do a job like this. He's innovative, he's prickly, he's passionate about rugby league and he's a player's coach, which may prove a valuable contrast to the more aloof approach of Kearney. What's more, he's been wanting to get involved at the Warriors for some time. He genuinely believes he can fix many of the crippling issues at the club.

Yes, he can get offside with players, officials, and fans. His history at the Saints, Eels and Knights would allude to that. But generally clubs get a solid 3 years or so out of him before his brusque demeanor wears thin. If that be the case at the Warriors, then hopefully that's enough time to turn this mess around.

There are other positives around his appointment, too.

** He will help attract Aussies across the ditch; something much needed at this club, which is looking worryingly bare on that front for 2018.
** He thinks outside of the square and has generally imbued his clubs with an attacking mindset. Just look at that Parra team of 2001, or some of the lethal Saints teams of the early 90s. Hopefully that approach will filter down the chain.
** He won't put up with ANY bullshit ... from anyone. Speak to him for more than 5 minutes, you'll quickly learn that for yourself. The players will get reprimanded if they don't put in, and those that continue to slack will get punted. It's that simple.
** He understands what's required to build a successful club and he will do whatever it takes to get it there.

All that said, it will be interesting to see how the dynamic between him and Kearney plays out. They seem polar opposites in terms of personalities and Smithy is very opinionated. How will they mesh for the betterment of the club?

And will Smithy adopt some of his more problematic practices from previous clubs, which allegedly caused friction with some of his star players? (incessant texting was one of them, apparently)

Time will tell. But for now, between him and Corvo, I'm already feeling more bullish about 2018 than I was only a week or so back.

Reactions: 27 users
Pozza

Pozza

Could be just the kick start we need. That Parra team from 2001 was incredible, players like Buetner and Brad Drew played out of there skin.
Jason Taylor was on fire. Its just when they got to the GF it all went to shit

Reactions: 6 users
Tim burgess

Tim burgess

I know Smithy personally and I think this appointment is the best thing the club have done since taking a punt on a untried Daniel Anderson all those years back. But for completely opposite reasons. As a few on here have already noted, Smithy is one of only a few Aussie coaches with the longstanding credentials to credibly do a job like this. He's innovative, he's prickly, he's passionate about rugby league and he's a player's coach, which may prove a valuable contrast to the more aloof approach of Kearney. What's more, he's been wanting to get involved at the Warriors for some time. He genuinely believes he can fix many of the crippling issues at the club.

Yes, he can get offside with players, officials, and fans. His history at the Saints, Eels and Knights would allude to that. But generally clubs get a solid 3 years or so out of him before his brusque demeanor wears thin. If that be the case at the Warriors, then hopefully that's enough time to turn this mess around.

** He will help attract Aussies across the ditch; something much needed at this club, which is looking worryingly bare on that front for 2018.
** He thinks outside of the square and has generally imbued his clubs with an attacking mindset. Just look at that Parra team of 2001, or some of the lethal Saints teams of the early 90s. Hopefully that approach will filter down the chain.
** He won't put up with ANY bullshit ... from anyone. Speak to him for more than 5 minutes, you'll quickly learn that for yourself. The players will get reprimanded if they don't put in, and those that continue to slack will get punted. It's that simple.
** He understands what's required to build a successful club and he will do whatever it takes to get it there.

All that said, it will be interesting to see how the dynamic between him and Kearney plays out. They seem polar opposites in terms of personalities and Smithy is very opinionated. How will they mesh for the betterment of the club?

And will Smithy adopt some of his more problematic practices from previous clubs, which allegedly caused friction with some of his star players? (incessant texting was one of them, apparently)

Time will tell. But for now, between him and Corvo, I'm already feeling more bullish about 2018 than I was only a week or so back.

At Hull, it was rumoured players breathalysed before early morning training sessions.

He is all about creating an environment and standards that enables clubs / players to succeed. Yes, players will will whinge and moan about his style. However, in most cases they forget to tell you without his input they would never have improved as a player and individuals.

Reactions: 7 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Great post Robbie. It throws up some questions.

In theory he should not be involved directly with the players, that is Kearney's job. I am assuming (without knowing) that Kearney is happy with Smith coming on board. If there is friction between the two that would be bad news for Kearney because it would indicate to me that he is being closely watched and may be a dead man walking. I guess it will all become apparent in time.

Jason Taylor rates Smith as far as I recall so might be a ready made replacement if Kearney has to walk.

The comparison with Daniel Anderson is interesting as well. He kicked arses and blew up in the end but we got a GF along the way. One thing for sure Smith's time here will not be boring, and we might get a GF as well.

Reactions: 5 users
Pozza

Pozza

I’m almost certain Smiths appointment is an insurance policy. I would think that after round ? and if things are no better than this season SK will on job seek.com. I wouldn’t have thought it too much of a drama for Smith to slip into the caretaker coach role.

Reactions: 1 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
I’m almost certain Smiths appointment is an insurance policy. I would think that after round ? and if things are no better than this season SK will on job seek.com. I wouldn’t have thought it too much of a drama for Smith to slip into the caretaker coach role.
Ouch!! Would you really want that as a Warriors fan? Honest question.

Pozza

Pozza

Ouch!! Would you really want that as a Warriors fan? Honest question.
If it’s got to that point by round ? we mightn’t have any choice. Not ideal but I couldn’t imagine there would be a conga line of coaches busting there arse to coach us.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
If it’s got to that point by round ? we mightn’t have any choice. Not ideal but I couldn’t imagine there would be a conga line of coaches busting there arse to coach us.
I remember Daniel Anderson saying when he got the job there are only 16 NRL teams, if you want to be an NRL coach you have to take what you can. Jason Taylor was on good terms with Smith if I recall. He would be one guy that Smith could tap pretty easily I would have thought. There would be a list of guys who don't like Smith as well, but I don't know how many would be coaching candidates.

One thing for sure is if these hardline Aussies get in you can forget the bro culture, the graffiti in the gym and arriving late for training.

PS: You can probably forget anything that looks like culture.

Reactions: 3 users
Generally Little

Generally Little

It is kind of shocking that we never appointed somebody of Smiths experience to oversee our operations sooner. I think he would have saved Cappy some embarrassment. I wonder what happened with the Super Friends Advisory Board? Did they ever assemble and did they save us from a wooden spoon?

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Yes, he can get offside with players, officials, and fans. His history at the Saints, Eels and Knights would allude to that.
Didn't he piss off the Eels players for texting them all the time???

Pozza

Pozza

He sure did but in saying that all the clubs he’s been at would have never got to the GF if it wasn’t for him.
GF losing appearance or finishing 14th. Hmm hard choice isn’t it

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
He sure did but in saying that all the clubs he’s been at would have never got to the GF if it wasn’t for him.
GF losing appearance or finishing 14th. Hmm hard choice isn’t it
Easy choice but I know which one hurts more :(:(:(...

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Wasn't just Eels players. He did the same at Newcastle. Gould is a serial texter as well. Worse than kids but maybe I am dinosaur.:(
It is kind of shocking that we never appointed somebody of Smiths experience to oversee our operations sooner. I think he would have saved Cappy some embarrassment. I wonder what happened with the Super Friends Advisory Board? Did they ever assemble and did they save us from a wooden spoon?
Owen Glenn wanted Matt Elliott to do this job over Cappy as coach. He actually told Elliott to work on a plan to achieve it. That was in the year before Elliott got the sack. Elliott was pretty sad about that but it wasn't Glenn's place to do it either. That shows what a dysfunctional club it had become. I prefer Smith over Elliott for his brainpower but Elliott was definitely more user friendly.
You think being runner up hurts more than 14th. You have been a Warriors fan for too long Welly.:D

Reactions: 1 user
Pozza

Pozza

Yep hurts a lot. You know what hurts just as much, having to put up with constant failure. Hurts probably not the
right word. Fucking numb probably a better way to describe the way I feel at about the 18th round every season

ramraider78

ramraider78

Well written bro, advocating Brian, time will tell then - I'll sit on the fence on this topic for now but if he helps us to get to the finals for 2018, I'll gladly put my hand up and say i was wrong lol

Swanley

Swanley

? = that's easy....bluey's round, round 6!

• Haha