General Brian McClennan stands down as head coach of Leeds Rhinos

Swanley_old

Smart move

I think Leeds are on the wane.

They have a very old squad and I think Wigan and St Helens will be too strong next year.

one-eyed-warrior_old

EnterFien_old

Wpuld be a smart move by the warriors but there are a number of teams in the nrl that may be looking for coaches early next year if they don't perform

teariki_old

Update: according to Radio Sports, McClennan wants to take up NRL coaching position, plus family needs was also a factor in his return to NZ.

mrblonde_old

Well, Mr Cleary has upped the pressure on himself.

I mean, if he can get the Warriors into the 8 this year, given all the injury problems we had, he's got absolutely no excuse next year...

Parramatta will probably nab him for 2012, though. I mean, really, you can't be too confident of Kearney surviving the three years he's been signed for. Firstly, there's the on-field component and I wouldn't rank them as finals possibles, let alone semifinals possibles at this stage (yes, before pre-season starts, I know, and I do hope I eat my words!). Then there's the off-field component - doesn't sound like the most stable environment to bring the best out of the playing and coaching staff.

I'd certainly have him next year if, heaven forbid, something happened to Cleary/Iro/Ackland in the meantime - ala Campion going back to Queensland for what I believe were family reasons.

Tajhay_old

mclennan for kiwi coach and assistant to cleary at warriors.

iro and ackland to coach u20s and have a role in identifying talent coming through the age groups.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Cleary will see out 2011, after that it's time for Bluey in my opinion. Time for something different.

Spence_old

I'm not sure where I stand on Clearly. I think it's a good idea to have a long term coach, so in that capacity I want Clearly to stay, as things should just keep getting better as he becomes more experienced. On the other hand, I don't actually see things getting all that much better. The last two seasons aren't really ones that you can judge a coach on, but I saw some vast improvements in the end on this year. Especially in our backline, for once we actually had some shape. If Cleary can build on that next year, I'm happy for him to stay on, but if we continue to be consistently average (I'm not saying we are bad), it might be time for a change.

2big2strong_old

I'm not sure where I stand on Clearly. I think it's a good idea to have a long term coach, so in that capacity I want Clearly to stay, as things should just keep getting better as he becomes more experienced. On the other hand, I don't actually see things getting all that much better. The last two seasons aren't really ones that you can judge a coach on, but I saw some vast improvements in the end on this year. Especially in our backline, for once we actually had some shape. If Cleary can build on that next year, I'm happy for him to stay on, but if we continue to be consistently average (I'm not saying we are bad), it might be time for a change.

Those are the magic words.

I think we can be a perennial top 8 team under cleary but I just can't see us ever being the dominant team needed to compete with the Storm and Dragons etc. We all saw how good the Roosters were this year and the Eels were last year and yet at the end of the day they still couldn't match it with the best. We need someone who can take us to that next level and McLennan has a proven track record, even though he inherited an already impressive team, he knows what it takes to win a competition or two... or three.

Fazz_old

After this year Cleary deserves the benefit of the doubt. We should have got a second crack in the finals, but alas luck was against us. He should be our coach in 2012 barring a wooden spoon. Well, unless Bennett wants to rock on over...

KeepingTheFaith_old

I've always said that Cleary is a very good coach, but I don't believe he's a premiership winning coach, at least not with this Warriors team.

Spence_old

I've always said that Cleary is a very good coach, but I don't believe he's a premiership winning coach, at least not with this Warriors team.

That's what my feelings are as well. I don't like saying I want to get rid of him, because I think he is a solid coach. But I just don't see him being a premiership winner.

danco_old

mclennan for kiwi coach and assistant to cleary at warriors.

iro and ackland to coach u20s and have a role in identifying talent coming through the age groups.

Brian McClennan left the Kiwis on bad terms and said he would NEVER coach the Kiwis again.

danco_old

Well, Mr Cleary has upped the pressure on himself.

I mean, if he can get the Warriors into the 8 this year, given all the injury problems we had, he's got absolutely no excuse next year...

Parramatta will probably nab him for 2012, though. I mean, really, you can't be too confident of Kearney surviving the three years he's been signed for. Firstly, there's the on-field component and I wouldn't rank them as finals possibles, let alone semifinals possibles at this stage (yes, before pre-season starts, I know, and I do hope I eat my words!). Then there's the off-field component - doesn't sound like the most stable environment to bring the best out of the playing and coaching staff.

I'd certainly have him next year if, heaven forbid, something happened to Cleary/Iro/Ackland in the meantime - ala Campion going back to Queensland for what I believe were family reasons.
Kearney has not even started with Parramatta and you are thinking of replacing him????

Magic Stick_old

I aint the biggest fan of Cleary's but you have to pat the man on the back.For what Cleary acheived this season. I like the direction Cleary,Iro and Fairleigh have this team going.And they have the likes of Wiki involved which is only a plus for the club

To suggest Brian McClennan come in and be an assistant at the Warriors is insane and straight dumbness.The Warriors dont need him.

Bluey should try get the gig up North Queesland...I heard Thurston and Henry have fallen out

Northern_Union

Brian McClennan left the Kiwis on bad terms and said he would NEVER coach the Kiwis again.

No Brian got shafted by Graham Lowe and a few others and left on the terms of someone that got treated poorly.

MarkW_old

No Brian got shafted by Graham Lowe and a few others and left on the terms of someone that got treated poorly.

Wasn't it all to do with that residency clasue that was introuduced into the coaching contract? That's how we ended up with the worst Kiwi coach ever in Gary Kemble.