General Brent Webb Underestimated As Ropati's Flaws Are Exposed

sebastian_old

I think a main factor that caused the loss last night was due to Brent Webbs presence not being on the field. While Webbs been injured, Ropati's true flaws have been shown. Brent Webb has basicly had to take over at playing 5/8 from fullback, creating attack whenever he can, as the NRL stats have shown recently, Webbs been excelling the usuall 5/8 related stats, where as Jerome Ropati's stats for attack are disturbing for a 5/8. Thats why i think we've been having SO much trouble scoring lately because we are basicly missing a 5/8, since Brent Webb has more 5/8 skills than Jerome Ropati i think he has taken over Jeromes responsibility. Jerome Ropati basicly has no qualites of a 5/8, Jerome Ropati at 5/8 has been Ivans BIGGEST fault this year, & he worries me in this regard. How he can leave a player in a posision Jerome HIMSELF agrees he should not be in is very worring. What Ivan Cleary sees in Jerome is a real mystery, especially when you factor a proven half Hohaia, attributed with halfback & 5/8 skills is currently being dropped for unknown reasons. Next year these problems should be solved with Witt & Kirk arriving but if Cleary persists with Jerome at 5/8, i can't see any succsess for the remaining 5 games. Changes obviously need to be made as people have said again & again, lets hope Cleary realises his mistake actually fixes it. Don't be a Kemp Cleary use some of the guts you've shown already this year & make these changes. Even with Brent Webb back, i think score twice as much if someone like Hohaia was Halfback or 5/8.

Skinny_Ravs82

All I'll say is YUP! Hence why my thread of: 'Why we bought Michael Witt' was started in reference to Ropati

Jesbass_old

Personally, I think Ah Van performed admirably in defence. He was a solid defensive fullback last night, and I don't think we would have conceded any less points with Webb in the same position.

However, he wasn't attacking in the same manner in which Webb would have, and that may have cost us a few points of our own.

sebastian_old

Jesbass said:
Personally, I think Ah Van performed admirably in defence. He was a solid defensive fullback last night, and I don't think we would have conceded any less points with Webb in the same position.

However, he wasn't attacking in the same manner in which Webb would have, and that may have cost us a few points of our own.

I agree & i have said previously Ah Vahn can defend well,he has great hands under the high ball but because of Ropati's lack of 5/8 skill we really needed a fullback that can attack.

teariki_old

You have to remember Ah Van is playing in a position he isn't familiar with. He was probably told to be steady at fullback and don't do anything too flash. He's still learning about how and when to inject himself from fullback when attacking. Playing on the wing is a lot different as you are only playing on one side of the field; fullback covers the entire field from sideline to sideline and you have to follow the play all the time, not just when the ball is coming to your side of the field if you're a winger.

MarkW_old

Webb may be out for the rest of the season yet. I've heard the hip injury may require surgery - and he also has another niggling shoulder problem that might also need surgical attention.
The club will be doing their best to get him back on the field, but it dosn't look promising from what I've heard. I hope I'm wrong.

Samoan Souljah_old

i say drop Ropati for at least 1 week so Ah Van can train at fullback etc .. put Webby at 5/8 n leave Vuna on the wing .. if we train like this for a whole week we might see sumthyn work .. the last 2 weeks Ah Van has been rushed into fullback and Vuna on the wing .. maybe test it for 1 week if it doesnt work then put Ropati back in .. koz right now Ropati is killing our backline moves lol .. i hate seeing Rovelli pass it to him then him run at get tackled!! pass the ball more buddy!! lol

sebastian_old

Samoan Souljah said:
i say drop Ropati for at least 1 week so Ah Van can train at fullback etc .. put Webby at 5/8 n leave Vuna on the wing .. if we train like this for a whole week we might see sumthyn work .. the last 2 weeks Ah Van has been rushed into fullback and Vuna on the wing .. maybe test it for 1 week if it doesnt work then put Ropati back in .. koz right now Ropati is killing our backline moves lol .. i hate seeing Rovelli pass it to him then him run at get tackled!! pass the ball more buddy!! lol

I know what ya mean, every time Ropati gets the ball i yell out & swear. He is that bad at 5/8 its starting to get ridiculous & is starting to make Cleary look like an naive rookie coach, gee i hope i was right about Cleary being a good coach. This persistance from Cleary that Ropati is a 5/8 is starting to ring alarm bells.

Skinny_Ravs82

Jesbass said:

I can't remember at what stage of the game it happened but it was in the Warriors zone and both Ah Van and Wesster went for the ball, collided and fell on their backsides. It was funny. But yeah Blinky did pretty well considering. He covered very well I thought, wasn't caught out too much so good show from him.

and yes I agree with Seb and SS, everytime Ropati gets the ball it's a very scary thing. How can I explain it, ok when Fien gets the ball to Rovelli you can see the other guys in the backline are in motion because Ravs is, you know he's looking/thinking about where to go who to pass to. But the bad side is when Fien gets the ball to Ravs and he in turn gets it to Ropati everyone just STOPS!

Samoan Souljah_old

i say this about the all blacks lol .. USE MORE CUT OUT BALLS LOL .. FOR EXAMPLE CARTER GETS IT CUTS OUT MAUGER THEN WE HAVE A COUNTER ATTACK LOL .. ROVELLI CUTS OUT ROPATI THEN WE HAVE A BACKLINE! LOL

Skinny_Ravs82

Samoan Souljah said:
i say this about the all blacks lol .. USE MORE CUT OUT BALLS LOL .. FOR EXAMPLE CARTER GETS IT CUTS OUT MAUGER THEN WE HAVE A COUNTER ATTACK LOL .. ROVELLI CUTS OUT ROPATI THEN WE HAVE A BACKLINE! LOL

lol..sounds good to me.

Lego_Man_old

Webb's absence was the main factor? Rubbish, we were crap all over the park. Webb wouldnt have made much difference at all.

danco_old

Lego_Man said:
Webb's absence was the main factor? Rubbish, we were crap all over the park. Webb wouldnt have made much difference at all.
lego man you are so right, we threw that one away.

Jesbass_old

teariki said:
You have to remember Ah Van is playing in a position he isn't familiar with. He was probably told to be steady at fullback and don't do anything too flash. He's still learning about how and when to inject himself from fullback when attacking. Playing on the wing is a lot different as you are only playing on one side of the field; fullback covers the entire field from sideline to sideline and you have to follow the play all the time, not just when the ball is coming to your side of the field if you're a winger.

I was of the opinion he was a fullback playing on the wing. Can anyone verify this either way?

Jesbass_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Jesbass said:

I can't remember at what stage of the game it happened but it was in the Warriors zone and both Ah Van and Wesster went for the ball, collided and fell on their backsides. It was funny. But yeah Blinky did pretty well considering. He covered very well I thought, wasn't caught out too much so good show from him.

I think that's good - it shows he's fearless. Wesser has one of the biggest skulls in the game. That head clash looked vicious, though.