Spence_old

I don't think they can keep all four, can they? Aren't they all on about a million each?

Wadetastic_old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvf6ScaM314

Some Justin Carney Highlights, to the person who asked what is his defense like, it has been a little up and down in first grade, on the wing he tends to rush up a bit and get caught out but i think that had a bit to do with his inside men leaving him no choice, when he has played at centre he has been very good and its definitely his strongest position watch the highlights of the Raiders vs Storm(In Canberra) match from last year and you'll see one of the best defensive games from a centre up against Greg Inglis that your ever likely to see.
He's put on a lot of weight since his injury but i'm sure that will come off in time and his speed and step should return with it, he's been playing solidly for the Souths Logan Magpies in the Qcup untill the last couple of weeks as he has been 18th man for the Raiders

Gundog_old

Brisbane, Penrith, Newcastle trying to clear room for Melbourne players. I think Melbourne at least need to drop one of the big four as well as a few 2nd tier players.
Agree that Carney would be a good buy, big fast and aggressive. We probably need a prop, a centre and a hooker so we should have heaps of moolah but whether we can convince quality players to cross the ditch is another matter.

insulinboi_old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvf6ScaM314

Some Justin Carney Highlights, to the person who asked what is his defense like, it has been a little up and down in first grade, on the wing he tends to rush up a bit and get caught out but i think that had a bit to do with his inside men leaving him no choice, when he has played at centre he has been very good and its definitely his strongest position watch the highlights of the Raiders vs Storm(In Canberra) match from last year and you'll see one of the best defensive games from a centre up against Greg Inglis that your ever likely to see.
He's put on a lot of weight since his injury but i'm sure that will come off in time and his speed and step should return with it, he's been playing solidly for the Souths Logan Magpies in the Qcup untill the last couple of weeks as he has been 18th man for the Raiders

It cant of been that great, the Raiders lost that game 46-6 lol.

Carney has played 20 NRL games, 18 on the wing, 2 in the centres. And both those times the raiders lost.

warriors4life_old

What about David "wolfman" williams from Manly? is he injured?

Been injured for a while now, plus one of the biggest myths to play rep football.

I remember watching one of the Origins last year where he pretty much lost NSW the game, he looked terrible.

insulinboi_old

We have Tates, Mckinnons, Lillymans and Royals cash to spend on a decent centre, winger, prop and hooker. If we buy a marquee player in one of those positions and use what cash is left as depth, we'd do ok.

insulinboi_old

Been injured for a while now, plus one of the biggest myths to play rep football.

I remember watching one of the Origins last year where he pretty much lost NSW the game, he looked terrible.

That was his version of Manu vs eels. I rate him, and if he is injury prone he might come cheap. yay!!

Magic Stick_old

David Williams was media hype

Carney is off contract.Hope the Warriors do grab him

Cheops_old

Shame about Tate, but not a disaster. He was solid in 08, injured in 09 and awesome for the start of this year which is realistically not value for the money we apparently paid for him. It sounds like he wanted to leave anyway.

I'd much prefer we bought a centre as a replacement though. I'm already a little bit worried about Inu's defence on the wing, let alone playing him in the centres. No-one really springs to mind though???

KeepingTheFaith_old

Carney is a tank with serious speed. If he comes back well from the leg injury then I'd be signing him without hesitation. The Raiders have some outstanding backs and with guys like Drury Low still to come through and make their mark Carney should be looking elsewhere and I hope we pick him up.

1. Locke
2. Inu
3. Carney
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei

Wadetastic_old

It cant of been that great, the Raiders lost that game 46-6 lol.

Carney has played 20 NRL games, 18 on the wing, 2 in the centres. And both those times the raiders lost.

Maybe you should check your facts before you make a fool of yourself, see the bit in brackets i was referring to the game in Canberra i.e round 16, it was on Sunday the 28th of June at 2pm if you need any more info....the raiders won 26-16 and i don't care if nrlstats tells you he played wing, watch the game he may have been named at wing but he played centre and did a great job on shutting down Inglis.
The Raiders centres and wingers(Carney, Croker, Monaghan, Vidot) often swap at times during games and this is where Carney has looked the most dangerous dangerous, he is also quite short in stature and not great in the air so that is another reason he is better suited to the centres, He also played mainly centre(and a bit of backrow) in the Raiders premiership winning toyota cup team in 2008.

He's very much a Junior Sau type player with perhaps a bit more speed and agility when fully fit and funnily enough he is good mates with Sau who was also a raiders junior, Apparently the knights have also offered him a contract so his friendship with Sau could sway him, I'm not sure if Likiliki's deal will effect this. The Raiders have also offered him a new contract but i believe he has concerns of whether he will get enough opportunities with the likes of Croker, Monaghan, Joel Thompson, Vidot and Drury Low also at the club.

Anything else you would like to know?

Last edited by a moderator:

warriors4life_old

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10653971

Plan already in motion for Tate replacement

The Warriors will aim to replace like with like by recruiting an experienced prop and centre to replace departing Australian internationals Steve Price and Brent Tate.

Recruitment manager Dean Bell said a contingency plan was in motion before Tate made his decision to quit the club for North Queensland yesterday. Discussions that had already begun with potential replacements would now be accelerated.

"We'll be talking to players but we are certainly not going to rush into it. We are not desperate. We have got Kristnan Inu who can play centre and obviously we have still got Jerome [Ropati]. We have got a bit of cover there. We are not panicking, put it that way."

After a drawn out negotiation period, Tate's decision to snub a two-year contract offer from the Warriors in favour of a three-year deal - reportedly worth A$750,000 - with the Cowboys was a relief for both parties, Bell said.

"We have been very patient because we understand it was a big decision for Tatey. We tried not to put him under any pressure. Obviously it's a relief for him to get him out in the open and it is certainly a relief for us that we know where we are. We can move on now."

Bell was coy about potential targets, laughing off a question as to whether any Storm players likely to be involved in the Melbourne club's predicted salary dump were on his shortlist.

"Maybe they are, maybe they aren't," he said.

The club has previously been linked with an approach to Storm prop Brett White, while Kiwis forward Adam Blair would also be an attractive possibility.

Tate, who is expected to miss another three matches because of the broken jaw he suffered against the Dragons in round 13, described leaving the Warriors as the hardest decision he had made in his career.

"It probably sounds a bit silly, but we have fallen in love with the place and the club, and it is very hard to say goodbye," Tate said.

"But you put you family first. That is the most important thing and that is what I have done."

The chance to pursue post-football career options in Queensland was a major factor in his decision, he said.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club was disappointed to lose Tate but had tabled a competitive offer.

However, Tate's injury history meant the club baulked at offering the 28-year-old anything longer than a two-year extension.

Scurrah said: "We put up a competitive two-year offer and really wanted him to be part of our future but we totally respect his decision."

insulinboi_old

Maybe you should check your facts before you make a fool of yourself, see the bit in brackets i was referring to the game in Canberra i.e round 16, it was on Sunday the 28th of June at 2pm if you need any more info....the raiders won 26-16 and i don't care if nrlstats tells you he played wing, watch the game he may have been named at wing but he played centre and did a great job on shutting down Inglis.
The Raiders centres and wingers(Carney, Croker, Monaghan, Vidot) often swap at times during games and this is where Carney has looked the most dangerous dangerous, he is also quite short in stature and not great in the air so that is another reason he is better suited to the centres, He also played mainly centre(and a bit of backrow) in the Raiders premiership winning toyota cup team in 2008.

He's very much a Junior Sau type player with perhaps a bit more speed and agility when fully fit and funnily enough he is good mates with Sau who was also a raiders junior, Apparently the knights have also offered him a contract so his friendship with Sau could sway him, I'm not sure if Likiliki's deal will effect this. The Raiders have also offered him a new contract but i believe he has concerns of whether he will get enough opportunities with the likes of Croker, Monaghan, Joel Thompson, Vidot and Drury Low also at the club.

Anything else you would like to know?

Wow. Someone is a bit testy arent they.

Lego_Man_old

Carney would be a tasty buy, and i assume not too expensive. I'd be happy with that + a prop and hooker.

ToiletDuck_old

The only problem with this hooker buy is that I'm assuming we're not factoring in Lance eventually playing there? Either that or we're forgetting Alehorna Mora.

If Lance is our fullback option for the next 2-3 years then well...die.

ryan1_old

The only problem with this hooker buy is that I'm assuming we're not factoring in Lance eventually playing there? Either that or we're forgetting Alehorna Mora.

If Lance is our fullback option for the next 2-3 years then well...die.

Agreed.

Our 2011 squad, at a glance;

Outside Backs:
Locke
Vatuvei
Inu
Ropati
Moon
Ah Van
Tupou

Halves:
Seymour
Maloney
Johns
Johnson

Hookers:
Heremaia
Henderson
Hohaia
(Mara)
(Seluini)
I've bracketed out these guys because they've yet to make first grade, so who knows...

Back rowers:
Luck
Mannering
Mateo
Ta'ai
Brown
Steve Rapira
Lousi

Front Rowers:
Sam Rapira
Matulino
Packer
Latimore
Poaching

I reckon we only look skint in the front row and outside backs. Having said that, we a few utilties too, ie; Hohaia (fullback), Mannering & Brown (centres).

Lego_Man_old

Someone here has advocated sending Simon back to the centres as cover and to open up a slot in the backrow.

I politely told him to die.

ryan1_old

Someone here has advocated sending Simon back to the centres as cover and to open up a slot in the backrow.

I politely told him to die.

Fair enough.

For the record, I'm not advocating Mannering as a centre. I guess what I mean is, if we were in dire straights (injury/suspension-wise), he could cover a center spot. Yes? No?