sebastian_old

Good news, although it was interesting to read that Tate's agent had basically been whoring Tate around to anyone who would listen, rather than say that clubs themselves had driven the interest.

Coincidentally, I'm led to believe that the Cowboys are also after Tate.

From the sum of these news releases, I get the feeling either Tate really wants out of the Warriors/move back to Australia or his manager is trying to get us to up our offer.

Lego_Man_old

Well my feeling is that Tate wants to leave, and is struggling to find a club who will match his currently paid coin (not surprising).

If no club made a higher offer, and he really wanted to stay with us, he would have re-signed already.

sebastian_old

Well my feeling is that Tate wants to leave, and is struggling to find a club who will match his currently paid coin (not surprising).

If no club made a higher offer, and he really wanted to stay with us, he would have re-signed already.

He may just want more coin from us before he re-signs. If no other NRL club is prepared to pay him what he wants he may be forced to re-sign with us or go to the ESL. Who knows maybe his manager is already hiting up ESL clubs.

blain91_old

Just heard on Radiosport that he has officially signed with the Cowboys with 3 years. Apparently we only offered 2.

Hard call, but i think its the right one. We gonna have enough dosh for 2 more good players now.

RRG_old

Money is not going to be the issue for the Warriors now, it is going to be attracting the right players. We had the money for two players (one of which we hoped to be Tate) before mckinnon got traded out. He would have been on good $$$ so we should have cash for two to three players.

Everyone says that a lot of clubs are holding off transfer talks till they know what is happening with Melbourne, does this open a window where the Warriors can approach some non melbourne players with good offers if everyone else is sitting back?

Does anyone have details of what props and what hookers are coming off contract?

Lego_Man_old

Well we've got a colossal warchest now, time to make a play for Inglis and Smith (a la our Wiki + Price coup of a few years back).

playdaball_old

Tate Says Leaving Club Toughest Decision of His Career

Auckland, New Zealand, June 23, 2010 – Centre Brent Tate today said his decision to leave the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the 2010 NRL season was the toughest of his career.
The 28-year-old, who joined the club from Brisbane in 2008, confirmed he had reached an agreement to play for the North Queensland Cowboys for the next three years.
“I have a huge attachment to the Vodafone Warriors. It’s a great club to be a part of and I love being here,” said Tate.
“That’s why it has been the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make deciding to leave.
“While the Vodafone Warriors came up with a big offer for me to stay in the end it wasn’t about the offers. It was about a family choice to return to Australia and it was also about me considering my options post-football.
“It’s not over yet, though. My aim is to do all I can to help the Vodafone Warriors finish this season well.”
Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club was disappointed to miss out in trying to re-sign Tate.
“Brent is a terrific player to have at the club and he’s a great ambassador for the game,” said Scurrah.
“We put up a competitive two-year offer and really wanted him to be part of our future but we totally respect his decision and the other factors that went into it.”
Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said Tate had earned everyone’s respect with his professionalism and competitiveness.
“He brings so much to our side on so many levels when he plays,” he said.
“It’s sad to know we’ll be losing him but there’s still a lot of this season to go and, when he returns to the field, we’re looking forward to him finishing his career here in the best possible way.”
Tate, who has been sidelined after breaking his jaw against St George Illawarra on June 6, has played 39 times for the Vodafone Warriors, scoring 10 tries. He made 114 of his 153 NRL appearances for the Broncos from 2001-2007.

Sin_old

Tate is a loss. He's been great for the Warriors but life goes on. Hopefully another big signing can come of this.

warriors4life_old

We definitely need another centre now, Ropati/Moon/Inu aren't enough for cover in 2010 especially as Likiliki is on his way. Inglis anyone?

Lego_Man_old

Yeah i dont know what utility backs are on the market. All i know is if Locke goes to FB then we need a winger. If that winger is Inu then what happens to the centres? Basically we have Ropati and Moon (both of whom can be pretty flaky) and no cover?

I think we need to chase Inglis hard.

1. Locke
2. Vatuvei
3. Ropati
4. Inglis
5. Inu

With Moon to cover.

I've seen worse backlines...

mumblA_old

If he joined in '08 and has played 39 games for us, that means hes missed out on 18 games, that's nearly a full season anyway.. Inglis hell yeah

danco_old

Inglis will never come here, he loves Australia and I think the Storm will be his home for years to come, we couldnt afford him anyway.

2big2strong_old

Yeah Inglis said last week that he will never line up against the storm and if they can't keep him he'll have to switch codes to AFL or Union or go to Superleague, he won't go to another NRL side..

Iafeta_old

I have no qualms about Tate leaving. He has too many 'big' injuries to sustain top dough. It's not a value for money proposition going forward as he further ages.

The one question I do have is, I know he's trotted out the Queensland line... but fair dinkum, North Queensland would be nigh on the last club I'd want to go to. They're far too reliant on Thurston and have a succession of neville-nobodies in and around him. I can't see them seeing finals football anytime soon. They look like an incredibly frustrating team to play for, Thurston is playing at a level so far ahead of his team-mates that the opportunities he creates the rest of the team is so far behind the 8-ball in thinking it through that it hardly ever comes off.

See ya Brent. Good luck with those lemons up in North Queensland.

sebastian_old

Moon can replace Tate, he is a pretty good centre now but has the potential to be a great centre. I didn't realise Tate missed 18 games, thats pretty bad, I think Tate's loss could be a blessing. If we manage to sign a top centre with Tate's big money free'd up, that would be nice but I still think a classy prop should be our top priorty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern_Union

I have no qualms about Tate leaving. He has too many 'big' injuries to sustain top dough. It's not a value for money proposition going forward as he further ages.

The one question I do have is, I know he's trotted out the Queensland line... but fair dinkum, North Queensland would be nigh on the last club I'd want to go to. They're far too reliant on Thurston and have a succession of neville-nobodies in and around him. I can't see them seeing finals football anytime soon. They look like an incredibly frustrating team to play for, Thurston is playing at a level so far ahead of his team-mates that the opportunities he creates the rest of the team is so far behind the 8-ball in thinking it through that it hardly ever comes off.

See ya Brent. Good luck with those lemons up in North Queensland.

Our club hasn't exactly been great to watch in recent seasons and i suspect that we'd be frustrating to play for as well.

daj3_old

They're far too reliant on Thurston and have a succession of neville-nobodies in and around him.

I was looking at their roster earlier this year... O'Donnell, Scott, Bowen, Tonga, Mason, Bolton, Webb, Kaufusi... every one of those players has played origin or for Australia... You might say they lack quality players in key positions, (other than Bowen and Thurston) but I reckon Watts and Payne are definitely first grade hookers, and they've got plenty of options at 6... I reckon their problems go beyond their roster.

Magic Stick_old

Heard a little rumor the Warriors are interested in Justin Carney the Raiders winger/center