KeepingTheFaith_old

While that is possible, I think there is a big difference between AFL and Union. The main one is that the AFL is bringing in Rugby League players into AFL teams in Rugby League strong areas (Western Sydney and the Gold Coast). This is very smart by the AFL as they are very likely to draw Rugby League supporters with them and as long as the product is good, they may stay. Secondly, the majority of both Hunt's and Folau's pay packet is made up from media and PR activities, so they will be out trying to strengthen AFL in these areas. This could very well be a master stroke by the AFL, and lets be honest, they are doing much better in Australia to expand the game than the NRL and RU.

Obviously, RU just bought league players and then put them in already strong union areas. If the Rebels got some great AFL players, then that would be interesting!

Nowhere in that reply did you mention either of them actually playing the game. Not saying it wasn't smart, but clearly it is a publicity stunt on both counts.

Northern_Union

While that is possible, I think there is a big difference between AFL and Union. The main one is that the AFL is bringing in Rugby League players into AFL teams in Rugby League strong areas (Western Sydney and the Gold Coast). This is very smart by the AFL as they are very likely to draw Rugby League supporters with them and as long as the product is good, they may stay. Secondly, the majority of both Hunt's and Folau's pay packet is made up from media and PR activities, so they will be out trying to strengthen AFL in these areas. This could very well be a master stroke by the AFL, and lets be honest, they are doing much better in Australia to expand the game than the NRL and RU.

Obviously, RU just bought league players and then put them in already strong union areas. If the Rebels got some great AFL players, then that would be interesting!

There in is my problem with guys going to AFL. They know that they are going to be used to be used to try and harm rugby league. That isn't the case with signing to play union, with union they are signing for money and to win games for that team. With AFL they are signing for money knowing that AFL has declare on league. These blokes, Falou and Hunt don't give a rats arse about rugby league and they know they are going to be used as a direct assault on league in league hartland areas.

Lego_Man_old

To be fair, Union is also at war with League in Australia. It's just not as often acknowledged because Union is in such a shit position out of the 3 "contact codes", and arent a big threat.

After the 2003 World Cup John O Neill was talking about "wiping out League" with the warchest they had built up from hosting profits. Look how that turned out...

aussie_warrior_old

Looks like Tate will be in SOO judging by the recent comments...

Warriors speedster Brent Tate looms at Folau's replacement ahead of Lote Tuqiri.

"It could be Brent Tate, it could be Lote Tuqiri. Who's been loyal out of those two to the game, who's in form?,'' Livermore said.

aussie_warrior_old

To be fair, Union is also at war with League in Australia. It's just not as often acknowledged because Union is in such a shit position out of the 3 "contact codes", and arent a big threat.

After the 2003 World Cup John O Neill was talking about "wiping out League" with the warchest they had built up from hosting profits. Look how that turned out...

Yea, I remember that comment. But I also remember at least a decade prior when league was taking union players, Kirwan, Ellis, Botica etc.

aussie_warrior_old

There in is my problem with guys going to AFL. They know that they are going to be used to be used to try and harm rugby league. That isn't the case with signing to play union, with union they are signing for money and to win games for that team. With AFL they are signing for money knowing that AFL has declare on league. These blokes, Falou and Hunt don't give a rats arse about rugby league and they know they are going to be used as a direct assault on league in league hartland areas.

Yea, I agree, but for $1mil+ a year as a 21 year old who has already achieved at the highest level in league... I know what I would be doing. The debate is interesting though, is it the AFL for doing it? the NRL for letting it? or the player for taking it?

I personally don't blame the player, he's got to look out for number 1 and I don't blame anyone for doing that. I also find it hard to blame AFL, they're trying to expand their game, just like a business would try and take customers from another store... so really I can't blame them either. It kind of leaves just the NRL left to blame... and that doesn't sit all that well with me either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern_Union

Yea, I remember that comment. But I also remember at least a decade prior when league was taking union players, Kirwan, Ellis, Botica etc.

But then i remember 100 years of league talent being stolen at high schools by pro active union friendly schools which over shadows the few that have come from union to league.

Northern_Union

Yea, I agree, but for $1mil+ a year as a 21 year old who has already achieved at the highest level in league... I know what I would be doing. The debate is interesting though, is it the AFL for doing it? the NRL for letting it? or the player for taking it?

I personally don't blame the player, he's got to look out for number 1 and I don't blame anyone for doing that. I also find it hard to blame AFL, they're trying to expand their game, just like a business would try and take customers from another store... so really I can't blame them either. It kind of leaves just the NRL left to blame... and that doesn't sit all that well with me either.

Yes good points. The root of these problems lay with ARL and RFL admins from the 60's onward in that they were happy with what they had in England and Australia and weren't bothered with trying to grow the game internationally or outside of NSW and QLD. Had they treated international league with the respect it deserves and looked out side of there back garden then i'm 99% that any cap run by the NRL would be comparable to AFL and the Superleague shit storm wouldn't have gone down either.

And by the way apologies all that i inflicted my 6am post spelling error and word missing post on. Mental note to self, don't post half asleep before work. ;)

Jesbass_old

Warriors speedster Brent Tate looms at Folau's replacement ahead of Lote Tuqiri.

"It could be Brent Tate, it could be Lote Tuqiri. Who's been loyal out of those two to the game, who's in form?,'' Livermore said.

That article quote is odd, because it makes a claim in paragraph one, and then provides a quote that makes a different assertion in an attempt to back it up, lol.

aussie_warrior_old

That article quote is odd, because it makes a claim in paragraph one, and then provides a quote that makes a different assertion in an attempt to back it up, lol.

I found it a bit odd too, but I suspect it was a comment about who has been loyal. Obviously out of Tuqiri and Tate, Tate wins.

garyhobson_old

Im predicting that Brent Tate will stay at the Warriors. Its likely. The Broncoes wont pay over 400k for an unjury prone centre in his late 20s, unless he has the same profile as Greg Inglis or Falou, even Gasnier. Thats who the Warriors should be thowing their money at if they want to sign a centre - Mark Gasnier. Brent Tate to stay at the Warriors, hes already settled here, and they are offering him big money, i cant see any other nrl club offering him over 400k, unless he goes to rugby union which is unlikely, i see him staying at the Warriors if hes to keep playing in the nrl.

Dean Whare was great last week at centre, he was another who i suggested last year on the forum that the Warriors should sign, he ended up going from the Dragons to Manly, smart move anyway.

sebastian_old

The Dragons are still trying to squeeze him into a already packed salary cap, apparently the NRL may be changing the 10 year concession from $100,000 to $300,000. Gasnier would qualify as it would be his 10th year at the Dragons.

Iafeta_old

No you're both right, i wouldn't turn down three times my current wage but as i had said i have and i would turn down larger offers and better conditions to remain loyal to my current employer.
By the way Iafeta, i hope stress levels have decreased for you with your job. I ment to say that in another thread but never got around to it.

They're good N. I've just had to change my priorities and not put so much of 'myself' on the line to get the business moving forward if others around me don't want to put in also. It's kind of an interesting time for me, due to everything that happened I am transitioning into another role and the people they have recruited to be trained up are walking failures waiting to happen.

Gallager, Innes, Schuster, Timu... some good talent there. How bad though was the move to go after Mark Carter?! If you think that's bad though, how about South Queensland going after Garrick Morgan?!

Broncos have said they're not talking to Tate about coming back.

Good news, although it was interesting to read that Tate's agent had basically been whoring Tate around to anyone who would listen, rather than say that clubs themselves had driven the interest.

Im predicting that Brent Tate will stay at the Warriors. Its likely. The Broncoes wont pay over 400k for an unjury prone centre in his late 20s, unless he has the same profile as Greg Inglis or Falou, even Gasnier. Thats who the Warriors should be thowing their money at if they want to sign a centre - Mark Gasnier. Brent Tate to stay at the Warriors, hes already settled here, and they are offering him big money, i cant see any other nrl club offering him over 400k, unless he goes to rugby union which is unlikely, i see him staying at the Warriors if hes to keep playing in the nrl.

Dean Whare was great last week at centre, he was another who i suggested last year on the forum that the Warriors should sign, he ended up going from the Dragons to Manly, smart move anyway.

Whare looked good. I wasn't entirely sure of him watching NYC. He was a Dragon, wasn't he? I'm fairly sure he was, and there was a bloke there called Linnane who is a winger/centre, a big bloke who I reckon has a great future. If I was looking at 'Kiwi' outside back talents, I'd be very interested in looking at Duffie.

Coincidentally, I'm led to believe that the Cowboys are also after Tate.