Iafeta_old

I have little doubt in my mind that Brent Tate will be a Warrior in 2011. The Warriors have made him their numero ono priority as Jes said, obviously a few of his comments sound negative but I'd put that more to 'me and my manager are just trying to get a bit more meat in my next contract if possible' more than anything.

RRG_old

My guess would be it all depends on Falou. If he goes to rugby or afl I think the broncs will put a reasonable offer at Tate. But if Falou stays in Brisbane I don't think they will make a very big play for Tate as they will need to spend some big bucks on the forwards and will be pleased with the depth they will have in the outside backs.

Magic Stick_old

Id let Tate walk.... We have enough cover with Ropati,Inu,Moon and Likiliki. even Elijah Taylor

Id Target Lima and Blair

Cheops_old

I don't see why we wouldn't at least try. From all the talk, we have enough money for a prop regardless of what Tate does, so we would spend his money on a centre anyway. Off the top of my head, most of the top centres are contracted for 2011 or very unlikely to come here.

The other option is to save the cash and splash out on a really elite half/hooker. But again, I can't think of anyone off contract and they never want to come here anyway.

Unless we already have someone lined up, we should be doing all we can to keep Tate.

Jesbass_old

We have class halves/hookers, in both the current team and the Juniors.

I think the suggestion that we sign a half is habitual. We've been calling for one for a number of series and it's almost become second nature!

I hope Tate stays, too. It's not so much a money decision, going by his response to the media. (And if he was trying to up his price, that was an awful way to do it, lol.)

insulinboi_old

Tate will re sign, we will lose lillyman, will release one of (or both) Moon and Mckinnon and will sign a competant, not marquee, prop.

Spence_old

Isn't McKinnon contracted until the end of 2011? Who is coming off contract this year?

Lillyman
Tate
Matulino

insulinboi_old

Yep. So is Moon. But Contracts aint worth the paper they are written on these days.

I reckon if either of those lads went looking for a superleague contract, we would release them.

Im still notconvinced we are going to be able to keep Matulino.

Cheops_old

I think the suggestion that we sign a half is habitual. We've been calling for one for a number of series and it's almost become second nature!

I hope Tate stays, too. It's not so much a money decision, going by his response to the media. (And if he was trying to up his price, that was an awful way to do it, lol.)

I was more implying someone in the Thurston/Smith class. If losing Tate freed up the cash to get someone like that, then it would be worth it. But as I said, that's about as likely as me getting the call-up for the Warriors so we should focus on keeping Tate

Fazz_old

Im still notconvinced we are going to be able to keep Matulino.

I'm not convinced they are going to bother try keeping him to be honest. He's been poor this year despite making the kiwi team.

I really think going to either Manly or St George would benefit him since those clubs have highly disciplined systems. Don't really want to see him go but I think he'd be better off...

Also re: Depth without Tate...I saw Likiliki is being tipped to head off to the knights on a two year deal...what is it with the Knights and the Cowboys poaching our players? lol If Tate goes I'll be gutted, his contributions this year have been great.

KeepingTheFaith_old

imo our 1,6,7,9 would be lucky to make the top ten in their respective positions and that doesn't look good for us regardless of who we sign up front or out back. Seymour would probably rank the highest, but he still isn't in the elite class.

Locke/Mara/Johnson certainly have the potential to be stars in those positions, but potential and results are two different things.

Spence_old

imo our 1,6,7,9 would be lucky to make the top ten in their respective positions and that doesn't look good for us regardless of who we sign up front or out back. Seymour would probably rank the highest, but he still isn't in the elite class.

Locke/Mara/Johnson certainly have the potential to be stars in those positions, but potential and results are two different things.

Fair call.

playdaball_old

Tate - unlikely to be named in SOO. I don't think he'd let them down.

Great news for the Warriors as he'll be playing this weekend.

mrblonde_old

Tate is officially not in the S of O team for the banana benders...

Taylor got picked so we don't have to put up with him this weekend.https://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/58702/cronk-taylor-get-qld-origin-debuts/default.aspx

Does anyone think Tate's signing will hinge in any way on what happens with McKinnon? ie basically do you think McKinnon will turn out as a centre at some point and prove himself useful there (therefore possibly getting a contract extension and maybe upgrade) or is it fullback (where Hohaia seems to have the inside running and Locke will move to at some point), interchange (although I'd question his usefulness there if all he can do is fullback) or nuffin for him (therefore possibly heading to ESL)?

warriors4life_old

To be honest Tate wouldn't beat any of Inglis, Boyd, Folau and Tonga right now for a SoO spot, even if his form has been good. So a fair call by the Queensland selectors.

And unless McKinnon really turns it on in the Vulcans I doubt we'll see him in the first-grade side (injuries permitting).