General Boxing

Up the guttz

Up the guttz

He’s too small for a plodder. Fast hands but slow feet.
He came into the fight at his heaviest. I think he should have tryed coming in at his lightest. He was never going to be able to go toe toe with the far bigger Joyce. Defo needed to work on his movement rather than power for this fight.

Reactions: bruce and Viking
Viking

Viking

He came into the fight at his heaviest. I think he should have tryed coming in at his lightest. He was never going to be able to go toe toe with the far bigger Joyce. Defo needed to work on his movement rather than power for this fight.

Bringing Parker in heavier was stupid. Tuas team took weight off him to try and outbox Chris Byrd, similar sort of dumb tactic, trying to beat an opponent at their own game but it robbed Tua of his power. Just dumb.

Joes never had good feet and I doubt he can change now. He’s reportedly 2 inches shorter than Joyce but in the head to head photos looked 4 inches shorter. Joyce is a good fighter too. Started late and getting old but doesn’t have the wear and tear of the top guys in the division. He beats AJ and Wilder IMO but Fury and Usyk have too much movement for him.

Last edited:
RiderJake

RiderJake

Bringing Parker in heavier was stupid. Tuas team took weight off him to try and outbox Chris Byrd, similar sort of dumb tactic, trying to beat an opponent at their own game but it robbed Tua of his power. Just dumb.

Joes never had good feet and I doubt he can change now. He’s reportedly 2 inches shorter than Joyce but in the head to head photos looked 4 inches shorter. Joyce is a good fighter too. Started late and getting old but doesn’t have the wear and tear of the top guys in the division. He beats AJ and Wilder IMO but Fury and Usyk have too much movement for him and they can do it as well as gambling, as here.
Joes is unlikely to become a great boxer. There's something wrong with him. But as a variety in the boxing world, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:
snake77

snake77

Joes never had good feet and I doubt he can change now. He’s reportedly 2 inches shorter than Joyce but in the head to head photos looked 4 inches shorter. Joyce is a good fighter too. Started late and getting old but doesn’t have the wear and tear of the top guys in the division. He beats AJ and Wilder IMO but Fury and Usyk have too much movement for him.
Here is a good video on Tua. The main point is his weight before the Lewis fight and his court hiatus and afterwards.

He was a better boxer at 220 than he was later at 240+ where he'd just plod around and wing hay makers.

Barry used to talk a lot about Parker filling into a heavyweights body. If you look at Parker and Joyce who looked more like an athlete. Parker although not as bad has similar issues to Tua in that he spends a lot of his training camp getting back into shape. Then we hear he won't do that next time. I know he's not his trainer anymore but all of that talk about him fitting into a heavyweights body he was with him long enough to be in that sort of shape. His heaviest weight for the last fight was either going to be improved power or hinder his cardio. The last thing you want to do in a fight is get tired.

Last edited:
snake77

snake77

Anyone see this article going around a week or two back. It made me laugh.

“I said ‘Sonny, if we’re going to fight we have to organise it soon because I’m retiring next year,” Gallen recalled.

“And he says ‘what do you mean?’

“I said, ‘mate, I’m turning 41 next year, I’m definitely retiring’.

“I then explained to Sonny while I was contracted with No Limit, I was allowed to fight him so long as it wasn’t within 10 weeks of a No Limit event.

“I then said No Limit had pencilled me in for a fight in December, 2022 – which will be my last — so we needed to get it sorted for at least 10 weeks before then.”

“To which Williams said what?

“Sonny says ‘bro, bro, bro’ … he always says bro,” Gallen laughs. “He says ‘bro, it only takes six weeks to get ready for a fight’.

jonesy101

jonesy101

Tyson Fury usually does a masterclass of getting inside his opponents heads with his sharp comments along with a little bit of self depreciating humor thrown in for a laugh, but I thought the way he called Usyk up to the ring and hurled lazy childish insults was pretty ordinary. The way Usyk just smiled and took a phonecall was a hilarious response.

jonesy101

jonesy101

Some more measured comments from Fury away from the hype he was trying to drum up in the ring. Looks like its Usyk and Joyce planned for 2023.

Reactions: Noitall

BrandonJoh

I started boxing about a year ago, and I absolutely love it. It's a great workout and a really fun way to stay active. I believe one of the most important things when it comes to boxing is using the right gear. Having a good pair of boxing gloves, wraps and a mouth guard are all essential for a safe and successful workout. I recommend reading about the best boxing gloves to find out what brand to get. It's also important to make sure you have the right bag for all your gear and that it's easily accessible, so you can get your workout in quickly. I definitely recommend investing in some good quality boxing gear if you're serious about boxing.

Last edited:
snake77

snake77

Anyone watch the Parker fight this morning?

The build up shows how far he's fallen. Higgins and Parker selling it as they always wanted to have a fight on free to air TV. If he was still main eventing he'd still be on PPV. It would of been as he was down a few slots on the card. Even the local play by play here stopped after his fight. They missed a interesting main event with a good KO.

I saw this was announced but as he wasn't headlined there wasn't much build up.

He got the job done but it wasn't a stand out performance. The 2nd Chisora fight was a pretty good performance but Its a bit of a trend that he seems a bit off.

Reactions: mt.wellington
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Watched it and thought he won pretty easy but it was pretty lame for someone who is meant to be a title contender. His trainer looked like they had been thrashed post fight.

He still doesnt know how to defend properly and was always dropping his right hand when going for the left hook. Also still doesnt have that knock out power.

I think the lack of comments in this thread shows where he now sits on peoples expectations. Even social media was surprisingly lacking a lot of commentary on it...

Viking

Viking

You know it was a rubbish fight when you can't find any highlights on youtube. Masseys face was bashed up though, the heavy punches were taking a toll.

Does Parker even want to be a fighter, he seems to be going through the motions. Andy Lee is too good of a trainer to waste years with a fighter that doesn't really want to be there.

Viking

Viking

It was a dumb fight to take and one that Parker couldn't look good in no matter what the result was. And they hand-picked the opponent apparently. If he knocks the guy out, he'd get no credit because Massey was smaller and if he lost to Massey, his career was effectively over. There was no upside except for staying busy I guess. As it was, the lighter guy with better footwork, who got on his bike for the first half of the fight, made Parker look ponderous as you'd expect. Parker can hardly cut off the ring against heavyweights half as fast. But if it's your first fight back from a bad loss then going up against a young heavyweight lion is a bad move too. He needs a new manager at any rate.