General Bluey's not crowing yet

• Thread starter warriors4life_old
  • Start date

warriors4life_old

From www.stuff.co.nz

By STEVE KILGALLON

Early yesterday morning, Brian McClennan strolled out on to the training field at a quiet Fowlds Park, Auckland, to take a final training session with his Mount Albert Lions before this afternoon's Bartercard Cup qualifying final.

Two thousand miles away in Sydney, his name was being thrown around the boardrooms and newspaper offices as the man who could, just could, become the next coach of the Roosters.

Last Tuesday, the NRL "transit lounge" spat out another coach, Ricky Stuart. With no successor lined up, the Roosters turned to a shortlist they have managed, amazingly, to keep relatively secret.

McClennan could be on it, but if he is, it's at a very early stage. People close to the coach who delivered the Tri-Nations title to New Zealand were downplaying suggestions he already had the gig.

As recently as last week, it's understood, he was talking about extending his deal with the Lions.

But here's how the theory goes. Discount, tentatively, the original front-runner, Daniel Anderson (McClennan's predecessor as Kiwis coach). He does want to go home to Sydney - but not until 2008, because of a St Helens contract he'd struggle to be released from.

Then throw out the usual names that get mentioned around these jobs - like Chris Anderson - and the logic is that Roosters chairman Nick Politis is looking left-field.

Remember that Kiwi coaches are gaining in value across the Tasman (apparently, some NRL clubs also have big raps on the Canterbury Bulls coach Phil Prescott). Then consider who is the best left-field name without an NRL gig? McClennan of course.

Besieged by media enquiries, McClennan didn't want to talk about the issue yesterday.

But one of his closest friends, Mt Albert chairman Tony Sadgrove, observed: "He'd be a logical next choice as the best coach around without an NRL job."

If he does get offered the job, it may come a little early for McClennan, who is well settled with his family on a large section north of Auckland, and whose plan has always been to go through to the World Cup with the Kiwis, then look around. It's possible, being a fan of English football from his dad Mike's days coaching St Helens, he'd rather coach in Super League.

The other problem for McClennan is a clause the NZRL adopted recently: that its national coach must reside in New Zealand. That came after the NZRL felt communications broke down when Gary Freeman was the Kiwis coach, but lived in Sydney.

NZRL boss Sel Bennett was steadfast yesterday the league wouldn't be changing the rules to accommodate an offer to McClennan. It's a tough choice for McClennan: leave a job he loves or limit his coaching experience.

"Because the NZRL have the clause about being a New Zealand resident, we could lose him as Kiwis coach," says Sadgrove. "Why don't they give him another role that somehow includes him in the management team?"

Appointing McClennan's assistant Graeme Norton to take over the Kiwis, but retaining "Bluey" as coaching consultant, could be the solution.

Bennett was non-committal. But having gone through a tortuous process to appoint McClennan last year, he knows there is a dearth of Kiwi residents with his mana and experience. "We'd be very sad to lose him: he's been a breath of fresh air," he observed.

warriors4life_old

He would be a good coach for the Roosters, but I wouldn't want to see him go there if it gets in the way of his international job.

warriorfaithful*_old

warriors4life said:
He would be a good coach for the Roosters, but I wouldn't want to see him go there if it gets in the way of his international job.

Me neither. Although i dont think bluey coaching the roosters would affect his coaching of the kiwis. As coaches like ricky stuart and wayne bennet have done club and country coaching duties at the same time before.

danco_old

2 years too early but when he coaches a team they always improve, I support him what ever he does.

*Kimmy*_old

warriorfaithful* said:
warriors4life said:

Me neither. Although i dont think bluey coaching the roosters would affect his coaching of the kiwis. As coaches like ricky stuart and wayne bennet have done club and country coaching duties at the same time before.
Yes it would, it states in Bluey's contract that to be the New Zealand coach you must live in New Zealand.

I REALLY don't want Bluey to leave, he is a awesome coach, he has something other coaches havent had!!

warriorfaithful*_old

Go_The_Doggies said:
warriorfaithful* said:
warriors4life said:

Yes it would, it states in Bluey's contract that to be the New Zealand coach you must live in New Zealand.

Oh i see. Didnt no that!