Player Blake Green

Finally Confirmed

[Signing] Green secured until 2020
Richard Becht

Tue 21st November, 09:13AM
1511210396113.jpg;pvfdf8247321e00a13

Seasoned standoff Blake Green has been secured by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract.

Signed until the end of the 2020 NRL season, the 31-year-old is moving to Auckland after helping the Manly Sea Eagles surge to sixth this season from 13th in 2016.

He’s the Vodafone Warriors’ eighth new signing after Tohu Harris (Melbourne), Leivaha Pulu (Gold Coast), Gerard Beale (Cronulla), Adam Blair (Brisbane), Peta Hiku (Warrington), Matiu Love-Henry (Brisbane) and Agnatius Paasi (Gold Coast).

“We’re delighted we’ve been able to sign a player of Blake’s calibre,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“He wasn’t off-contract but became available through circumstances. It couldn’t have worked out better for us. He’s a terrific player and his experience in winning titles and playing so much finals football will be of huge benefit to us.

“His presence will add both depth and intense competition among the halves, which is exactly what we’re after. On top of that his background at a number of clubs in the NRL and Super League makes him an ideal mentor for our young halves.”

The Vodafone Warriors will become Green’s sixth NRL club and his eighth in all counting Hull Kingston Rovers and Wigan.

He began his first-grade career with Parramatta in 2007 before establishing himself with Canterbury-Bankstown in 2010 following just 19 games in two seasons with Cronulla in 2008 and 2009; he had his first taste of finals football with the Sharks in 2008 and has now appeared in a total of eight NRL finals matches plus Super League play-offs and two Old Trafford grand finals as well as the Challenge Cup final at Wembley.

His one-season stint with the Sea Eagles in 2017 followed two with Melbourne when he played in the 2016 grand final and was in the Storm side stopped one win short of the decider in 2015 by eventual premier North Queensland.

Green spent four seasons in the English Super League with Hull Kingston Rovers and the Wigan Warriors from 2011-2014, savouring the Challenge Cup-Super League grand final double with Wigan in 2013. He won the Harry Sutherland Trophy as man of the match in the Super League decider at Old Trafford while he was in the grand final again in 2014 when Wigan lost to St Helens.

Green has played a combined total of more than 200 top-grade games in the NRL and the Super League.

BLAKE GREEN

Date of Birth: September 19, 1986

Birthplace: Fairfield, NSW, Australia

Junior Club: Cabramatta

Position: Standoff

Height: 1.79m

Weight: 97kg

Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys

Previous Clubs: Parramatta (2007), Cronulla (2008-2009), Canterbury-Bankstown (2010), Hull Kingston Rovers (2011-2012), Wigan (2013-2014), Melbourne (2015-2016), Manly (2017)

NRL Debut: Parramatta v Canberra, Parramatta Stadium, April 7, 2007 (Round 4)

NRL Career: 117 appearances (2007-2010 & 2015-2017):

Parramatta: 6 appearances (2007)

Cronulla: 19 appearances (2008-2009)

Canterbury-Bankstown: 18 appearances (2010)

Melbourne: 50 appearances (2015-2016)

Manly: 24 appearances (2017)

NRL Points: 64 (16 tries):

Parramatta: 0

Cronulla: 4 (1 try)

Canterbury-Bankstown: 8 (2 tries)

Melbourne: 40 (10 tries)

Manly: 12 (3 tries)

Super League Career: 89 appearances (2011-2014):

Hull Kingston Rovers: 40 appearances (2011-2012)

Wigan Warriors: 49 appearances (2013-2014)

Super League Points: 144 (36 tries):

Hull Kingston Rovers: 72 (18 tries)

Wigan: 72 (18 tries)

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
From the Daily Telegraph

Canterbury have signed Blake Green to a one-year deal and will honour the contract despite the veteran rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament for Newcastle last Sunday.

Green is Trent Barrett’s first signing in a homecoming of some sorts for the 33-year-old, who played 18 games for the Bulldogs in 2010.

The Bulldogs moved on Green prior to his injury when it became apparent Kieran Foran would no longer be at the club at season’s end.
they are nuts
I have always had mad respect for the guy, but thats a gamble that is just insane

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Interesting the dogs press release says they signed him ‘weeks’ before the injury. Sounds like he didn’t need to leave us to try and get a new contract..

He doesn’t mind playing the cat when it comes to getting his way.

I found it interesting though that Barrett would choose to bring him to the Dogs after he was forced to release him for dropping his lip and kicking stones at Manly.

Juno

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2018
Interesting the dogs press release says they signed him ‘weeks’ before the injury. Sounds like he didn’t need to leave us to try and get a new contract..
Maybe that's what Payten was a bit pi**ed about.
Green's been around for a while, knows O'Brien, knows Barrett, has coaching ambitions...no need to be the self-sacrificing nice guy for a club where the outcome is a done deal.
Wouldn't be my way but then we are only privy to what comes out publicly

Reactions: Worried2Death

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
True, this is probably why the club wasn't happy with how he left. If he had signed/had the Dogs contract on his table before leaving us, why would he jump ship to play for the Knights? Makes no difference to him other than potentially playing a finals match or 2. He has a record of ditching teams, I don't know how you could do that TBH. Surely he has mates in the side.

The only thing that sticks out to me is Robo saying to the media he wasn't going to be re signed. That obviously upset him, but as we found out later, that discussion had been had with him several days prior. It took away some ability for that snake Moses to up his price tag.

I think it's obvious to say it was a good move for the Warriors benefit in the end.

RobRoyMcCoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2012
I think it's obvious to say it was a good move for the Warriors benefit in the end.

Agreed. I couldn't help but think that his ACL may have gone if he had stayed with us. I am not happy he is injured but I am happy it is no longer our problem and I hope the back room team are using his freed money to good effect.

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Crazy that he played for 9 clubs but the 55 games he played for us with the most he played for any of them.
He didn't actually kick many 40/20s either, but when he did it was often against the Warriors.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
He didn't actually kick many 40/20s either, but when he did it was often against the Warriors.
Probably one of the reasons we signed him. Hey he kicks a lot of 40/20's and we need that.

Kearney talks to him "Hey can you kick 40/20's"
Green "I can against your sides as the wingers go back too late"
Kearney "I'll be back, I need to talk to my wingers".

danyooll

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 17, 2014
Blake Green talking about his time at the Warriors on the Bloke in a Bar podcast.
Starts at 1:16:40 if the auto-play doesn't kick in.
Interesting and almost worrying hearing about the players that don’t even like footy. Playing for the family is great and all, but what happens when things aren’t rosy with the family? Surely it has an effect on performance and team culture.

We need players who want to play footy for the jersey, out and out Rugby league players.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Interesting and almost worrying hearing about the players that don’t even like footy. Playing for the family is great and all, but what happens when things aren’t rosy with the family? Surely it has an effect on performance and team culture.

We need players who want to play footy for the jersey, out and out Rugby league players.
What happens when you don’t even like footy and you manage to secure a long term deal?

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017

Nice pick up
Greeny holding back and just being polite
I respect the weight carried to provide for the family and you would do anything to provide

But as far as the club goes as an organisation these type of questions need to be asked and scrutinised. A love, an understanding or at the very least a commitment to learn the game must be a KPI for development.

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings