General Billy Tupou - can have some pride this season

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score

From the NZ Herald today ...

the 2nd positive story about Billy in as many weeks. I have my thoughts about his performance in 2013 (and Manu as well) what do you think???

League: Tupou in grand form to meet his old mentor

By Patrick McKendry

5:30 AM Saturday Aug 11, 2012
  1. amedia.nzherald.co.nz_webcontent_image_jpg_201232_SCCZEN_A_180312NZHRGRLEAGUE1888_220x147.jpg
Expand
Bill Tupou's consistent play has resulted in seven tries this season. Picture / Richard Robinson
Standing across the park from Warriors winger Bill Tupou tonight will be a player he regards as a role model - and also a key threat to his side's aim of finishing the season on a winning note.

Cowboys centre Brent Tate, who played for the Warriors from 2008 to 2010, has fought back from his fair share of adversity - he has had three knee reconstructions - thanks to a toughness and mental strength the Warriors could do with right now.

After three devastating losses on the trot - the last one a humiliating 45-4 defeat by Cronulla at Mt Smart - the Warriors are really only playing for pride, although they still have a chance of making the top eight if they can stitch four wins together from their remaining four games.

Tupou, 22, who is nearing the end of his best season as a professional, said Tate was a big influence during his development.
"He was a big role model for me. Playing inside me at centre, he created a lot of opportunities for me. I think defensively he was good too. He helped me a lot when I started."

As the Warriors reflect on what might have been from the relative discomfort of 13th position on the table after making the grand final last year, Tupou is one who can have some pride in his season.

He has played every minute of his side's 20 games, more than any other winger in the competition, and although he is still occasionally out of place defensively, has brought a new consistency to his game in keeping with his 1600 minutes on the field.

Apart from a few defensive lapses, Tupou makes few mistakes - the NRL statistics department have him making 13 errors and no penalties conceded. By way of contrast, fellow winger Manu Vatuvei has made 32 errors and conceded four penalties in his 1248 minutes.
"That was one of my goals, to play every game and try not to get injured, to play consistently too," Tupou said. "The best thing for me now is to finish off the year well. Going into this game I think everyone needs to lift their head up and to play with pride and finish off the year properly.
"Playing for each other is the main thing. We've been through some hard times this year and I think we just need to go out there and play for each other and family and friends and to just have fun."
Wingers are expected to score tries and Tupou has also chipped in here with seven so far, the most he has scored in his three seasons at the Warriors. His try against the Sharks last weekend was one of the few positives for his club.
Centre Konrad Hurrell leads the club's try-scoring tally with 12.
Meanwhile, Tupou is preparing to get to grips with Queensland State of Origin player Tate, a player with a killer instinct.
"He's just one of those hard-working players who is determined to just do anything to win. He just does what he can for the team - just his power and strength, especially his kick returns, and helping out the forwards when they're tired. He's a guy you can rely on to get out of trouble."
- APNZ

Reaction score

Danpatmac

he is extraordinarily ordinary.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He is kind of ordinary, but he is not the gumby POS liability that a lot of people on here say he is.. I really do question the timing of these articles though considering he hasn't been great the last few weeks. As for this article, i dunno if this year has been an improvement over last year.. i would've said so up until a few weeks ago.

Reaction score

Buck777

He's a Hyundai. Good price, will do the job, won't let you down but you'd trade in a heartbeat

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I defended him at the start of last year because I heard him interviewed in 2010 and he was well spoken and seemed like a nice guy so I was willing to give him a chance. Based on the fact he was articulate and modest I thought he would be a quick learner. Unfortunately I just dont think he is up to it. Hes poor defending the ball on the ground or in the air and doesnt seem to be able to beat anyone. Mini-beast is an apt title though because, though hes much smaller than Manu, he brings the same game as a forward reliever (as Tate stated). At least he did last year, this year not so much. Hes the poor mans Manu.

Id rather have a winger with a combination of pace, footwork, ability under the high ball and along the ground, and general defence though. Find us a Nightengale.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
I defended him at the start of last year because I heard him interviewed in 2010 and he was well spoken and seemed like a nice guy so I was willing to give him a chance. Based on the fact he was articulate and modest I thought he would be a quick learner. Unfortunately I just dont think he is up to it. Hes poor defending the ball on the ground or in the air and doesnt seem to be able to beat anyone. Mini-beast is an apt title though because, though hes much smaller than Manu, he brings the same game as a forward reliever (as Tate stated). At least he did last year, this year not so much. Hes the poor mans Manu.

Id rather have a winger with a combination of pace, footwork, ability under the high ball and along the ground, and general defence though. Find us a Nightengale.
Mini beast is a good title becuase he's not even half the player Manu is! Watching other teams wingers they all have great pace. Not ours. Tate will make a fool of Tupou and I reckon its going to be ugly.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
That has to be a piss take doesn't it? The thing with stats is they don't tell the whole story. Like missed tackles, you actually have to get near the bloke first to get a missed tackle. If this is his best seasoon so far then his others have been absolutely crap. IMO if we had a decent winger on either/both sides we win another 2-3 games this season. The only ones who can take some pride in our season are our forwards.

Reaction score

taika

Waterboy
Reaction score
He is average bordering shit... he has no footy IQ, he makes the wrong d's CONSISTENTLY. last week how many time did he have the ball in the 20 attacking and could produce nothing ...until it came to when he was 1 m from the line haha. Hurrell , T Rex, hell even Tequiri can make something of that but no never Tupou

This article is weird, he has ONLY scored 7 tries, umm is that a successful for our winger? doubt it.

Totally disagree with this piece of BS article , what is he realted to tongan royalty to keep gettin constant media blow jobs?

Tate, carve this dumb ass up.

PEACE lol.

Reaction score

Buck777

Disagree.

And he IS a gumby.
the thing is in the big picture Tupou has not cost us the season. It's our defence that lost us the season, and defence takes 13 players on the field to do their part. Tupou even though he is average has been made to look worse in a below par team coached by a way below par coach

Reaction score

Danpatmac

the thing is in the big picture Tupou has not cost us the season. It's our defence that lost us the season, and defence takes 13 players on the field to do their part. Tupou even though he is average has been made to look worse in a below par team coached by a way below par coach
Nobody is saying he has cost us the season,

But his defensive lapses HAVE cost us at times.
And his very best game won't win us anything.

At his best he is mediocre, that's not what I want in my wingers.

Reaction score

Buck777

Man, I kinda feel sorry for him. His halves, centers and at time forwards do nothing and he gets the borax. If you were to draw up the problems we have I reckon Tupou's non performance wouldn't be in my top 10 atm.

Reaction score

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
At least we dont have to put up with mountains of errors on top of the poor defense and constant inconsistency while we wait for him to do something good like we do with Manu...we just have to put up with Tupou's incredibly average play while we wait for him to do something else incredibly average.

Tupou doesn't cost us games in the flamboyant almost comical way only Manu can, but Tupou is just so damn boring that i get a numb feeling every time he gets the ball:(

At least i get some enjoyment from Manu....Tupou just makes me sad.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, I kinda feel sorry for him. His halves, centers and at time forwards do nothing and he gets the borax. If you were to draw up the problems we have I reckon Tupou's non performance wouldn't be in my top 10 atm.
no he is not the only proble but i can think of a number of games this year where between him and manu they have been the difference or provided the turning point in the match. i mean look at the knights game where billy got bamboozled 3 or 4 times and each time it was man on man. he was completely out of position and turned the wrong way and didnt get near his opposite. sort of surprises me, because i thought last season he was solid enough, if unspectacular. he has gone backwards this season

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
yeah, i'm with you.. while i agree he's been typically unspectacular and exposed at times, we have much bigger problems than Bill Tupou..

I mean, he's made the 3rd most metres of any warrior this year.. sure, 90% of those metres are dummy half scoots/kick returns, but they're still important metres that need to be made and he's making them.

Let's also not forget that we don't create space for our wingers, so getting a faster winger is probably not going to do much good for us. I think Bill has basically morphed his game to what the warriors expect/need from their wingers - which is basically to help out the forwards and get go forward early on in sets.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
At least we dont have to put up with mountains of errors on top of the poor defense and constant inconsistency while we wait for him to do something good like we do with Manu...we just have to put up with Tupou's incredibly average play while we wait for him to do something else incredibly average.

Tupou doesn't cost us games in the flamboyant almost comical way only Manu can, but Tupou is just so damn boring that i get a numb feeling every time he gets the ball:(

At least i get some enjoyment from Manu....Tupou just makes me sad.
This is sad but at least if Manu makes a handling error, you know he's at least trying something ..... Billy, you just think 5m, get tackled, no flair.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
no he is not the only proble but i can think of a number of games this year where between him and manu they have been the difference or provided the turning point in the match. i mean look at the knights game where billy got bamboozled 3 or 4 times and each time it was man on man. he was completely out of position and turned the wrong way and didnt get near his opposite. sort of surprises me, because i thought last season he was solid enough, if unspectacular. he has gone backwards this season
I'm really not sure he got bamboozled 3 or 4 times against the knights.. i recall once, maybe twice. our fringe defense was terrible and constantly exposed in that game. Tupou is just one player and cannot be completely blamed for all tries scored down his edge. He's defending outside Maloney and Hurrell ffs.. don't mean to sound like i'm defending him because i don't really rate him that much.. but in recent weeks it seems whenever a try is scored down his edge everyone is up and arms blaming Tupou the mud gumby who is slow shit and a liability..

I threw out the challenge in the last Tupou thread for anyone to point out games where he has been defensively shit where he's cost us points, we can look at the highlights and smart replay to prove or disprove it.. Knights game and Manly game he was exposed along with everyone else defending on the edges, but i guarantee you'll be struggling to find games before the knights game where he made a bad read that cost us..

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm really not sure he got bamboozled 3 or 4 times against the knights.. i recall once, maybe twice. our fringe defense was terrible and constantly exposed in that game. Tupou is just one player and cannot be completely blamed for all tries scored down his edge. He's defending outside Maloney and Hurrell ffs.. don't mean to sound like i'm defending him because i don't really rate him that much.. but in recent weeks it seems whenever a try is scored down his edge everyone is up and arms blaming Tupou the mud gumby who is slow shit and a liability..

I threw out the challenge in the last Tupou thread for anyone to point out games where he has been defensively shit where he's cost us points, we can look at the highlights and smart replay to prove or disprove it.. Knights game and Manly game he was exposed along with everyone else defending on the edges, but i guarantee you'll be struggling to find games before the knights game where he made a bad read that cost us..
so you need more than one game?? i've just given you the knights game where he turned the complete wrong way twice and kevin naquima scored twice without a hand on him and they were both at worst one on one reads, he got done another time in that game but the knights dropped the ball otherwise they were in again. i really cant be assed gong back and looking for specific games. i cant defend him this season apart from the game against storm where he scored a couple of really good tries and i thought to myself 'where has that been hiding, shit we may have a winger here" that was the week before he signed up an extension to his contract and other than that game i'd take just about any other wing in the nrl over him.

Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
so you need more than one game?? i've just given you the knights game where he turned the complete wrong way twice and kevin naquima scored twice without a hand on him and they were both at worst one on one reads, he got done another time in that game but the knights dropped the ball otherwise they were in again.
Think you're being a bit hard on Tupou there - Kevin only scored once - yes Tupou did make a very poor defensive read on that play by opting to take the centre that Hurrell already had covered. The second try you're probably thinking of was Tahu, that was down Tupou's side, but that was a three on 1 overlap after Uate made a break down the other side. The other two tries in the match were both down Omar's side, as was the Uate no-try where he dropped the ball in goal.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
Think you're being a bit hard on Tupou there - Kevin only scored once - yes Tupou did make a very poor defensive read on that play by opting to take the centre that Hurrell already had covered. The second try you're probably thinking of was Tahu, that was down Tupou's side, but that was a three on 1 overlap after Uate made a break down the other side. The other two tries in the match were both down Omar's side, as was the Uate no-try where he dropped the ball in goal.
you are right, he only scored once, but i was just watching that game last night and he got beaten badly 3 times
, twice he turned the wrong way. i think putting up with tupou's 'best season ever' is being a bit hard on me

Top Bottom