Ryno_old

I definitely disagree. I'd say Inu's average game has been the bench mark as our best back.

Hmm maybe I should reword.

IMO Inu has a lot of upside and a lot of downside. One minute he looks like an absolute freak and the next he's having a huge brain meltdown, and the one thing that seems rather consistent with him is that he isnt 'switched on' for the whole 80 minutes. This is the reason I believe he has been dropped from the top side and Tupou has been the preferred option.

Tupou is a good young developing player who does the basics well, gives it for 80 minutes, chases on kicks and is really eager to impress.

So IMO regarding the Tupou vs Inu debate, I think we have enough attacking flair in the team with out Inu, so I can see the reasoning in behind picking Tupou.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spence_old

I know what you mean, but I think Inu's misdoings are magnified tenfold by the preconceptions he brought over with him.

Iafeta_old

He's improved enormously. I think he's put in some big yards in the gym in the off season. Really has powered up significantly. He used to get bundled backwards all the time, but now he pumps the legs and keeps driving. He's progressing into a very good player.

Fazz_old

That's a big change from last year to this year. He's starting to break the line a lot more, he generally looks more co-ordinated as well (A lot of times he looked like a bit clumsy last year)

If he keeps up his improvement then I think he could nail down a regular spot, either on the wing or in the centres.

BringBackRovelli_old

He was one of our best vs Souths, I was very close to giving him a point.

Spence_old

It does make the Inu exclusion slightly easier to bear, and if nothing else that is fairly good praise. I have been impressed with his defense so far. Have we conceded a line break down the fringes since Tupou has come in? Not that I am saying that he was the answer, but we have made some serious headway in that department in the last month, so I guess kudos to Cleary.

ToiletDuck_old

While I agree he's been playing well, I disagree with the comment that he's been underrated. Since he took Inu's slot this whole forum has been fapping so hard over him.

scottyb_old

I cant remember too much fapping about Tupou, but he certainly does deserve some credit for the work he has done on the field. He is highly under-rated by the media, not too many article focused on him but mountains has been printed on Johnson (and rightly so, he will be a star soon). He is quietly going about his job and gaining confidence, if I was him I'd be happy that its been a low key entry to first grade.

Fazz_old

...where? I've seen people say he's been playing well but he's not receiving a Josh Dugan level fapfest haha

Spence_old

Well he isn't the top fullback in the league, so I wouldn't expect him to be receiving that much.

ToiletDuck_old

Haha there hasn't really been too much... I just have a low threshold for what I consider fapping. I really only said that to get a reaction.

Fazz_old

Well he isn't the top fullback in the league, so I wouldn't expect him to be receiving that much.

Bro, you should hear the knobs on MNF right now. You'd think he was Minichello, Stewart, Slater, Hayne and Mckinnon playing their absolute best games ever based off what they're saying.

Spence_old

Haha, I was trying to wind you up but I think you thought I was being sarcastic?

I don't understand the hate for Dugan though, I'd say he was one of the better running fullbacks in the league.

danpatmac_old

Just watched the warriors v souths game again and after both Manu's 2nd half tries he was holding his sternum and looking quite uncomfortable. He looked a bit ordinary as the game wore on in terms of body language and I think he might actually be quite hurt. I expect him to be named tomorrow, but perhaps he may yet have the weekend off?

ToiletDuck_old

Just watched the warriors v souths game again and after both Manu's 2nd half tries he was holding his sternum and looking quite uncomfortable. He looked a bit ordinary as the game wore on in terms of body language and I think he might actually be quite hurt. I expect him to be named tomorrow, but perhaps he may yet have the weekend off?

Maybe he was having an MI...

ToiletDuck_old

If Manu wakes up one day with his pace back, then our team is going to be an attacking weapon. It wasn't long ago that I considered our season entirely dependant on Manu, though no longer.

a.c.e_old

On the Inu and mini beast comparison. Inu still has it in fist fulls. mini beast is safe as houses, the guy plays well within his boundaries, and wont push unless he has the upper hand and then some. Inu pushes his skills always looking for that next gear.

You'd agree that if we took out mini beast and put Inu there on the wing against Souths Chris McQueen wouldnt out leap nor score over Inu. Inu also pushes his skills to breaking point which is where we get the down side. Is it attitude? Before he kicks the ball out on the full from the restart does his concentration dip? He kicked a few 'out on a full' at the Eels. Remember that round 26 match against the Eels last season where Inu and Manu clash and Manu steals the ball from Inu and scores? Inu still has those moments. It might be an Eels thing or it might be a Western Sydney thing back in the days Inu was growing because Hayne displays the same sorta trait it amazes me now how often commentators would have casual or laid back in the same sentence as head-butt boy.

Gotta say im happy with Tupou, hes done well week after week to retain his place in the team. But Inu has a few more feathers in his bow.

AC5_old

Gotta say im happy with Tupou, hes done well week after week to retain his place in the team. But Inu has a few more feathers in his bow.

I'd agree although the more I see of Billy the more I see hims as a centre. He doesn't have the out and out athleticism that Inu does, however he is safe, strong and defends his ass off. I also think that next year if Tupou and Inu are given the time to develop as a centre/wing combo, they could get a Ropo/Beast relationship going, where they know what the other will do (espec on d).