General Warriors Harold Matthews 2024

I'm curious about who's coaching the team this year.
Sorry. Need to make a correction. Grant Pocklington isnt the HM coach. The HM coach for 2024 is TJ Ashford.

From what I know about him he has been involved with the ARL as development officer for a number of years. Not sure why he has been elevated to the HM gig as he's had a terrible record with the clubs he has coached in Ellerslie and Manurewa. A couple of the parents of kids in the team are dismayed that he is the coach. According to them he is a certified level 3 coach on paper only and was lucky to get the role through his connection with Sponge. The other candidate was Jethro Friend who would have been a better bet. The two parents I spoke to today at the Kiwis 16s and 18s games at Bruce Pullman Park are looking to sign their kids to other clubs if he remains the coach past this season. Be interesting to see how he goes as he has some real guns in his team.

Grant Pocklington is coaching the SG Ball team and Ricky Henry is coaching Jersey Flegg. Not sure what happened to Adam Blair but it seems like he is no longer in a coaching role. Sponge is overseeing the whole pathways system from HM to JF.

Will post more about the games today when I finish doing player profiles. A heap of Warriors junior players were involved...

The Auckland 16's weren't as physically imposing as you'd normally expect a Auckland rep team to be.

Was that a genuine Auckland top 17 mt wellington?

Bishop Neal is the best prospect at the level so which team he plays for is likely to win. Be good to see him go up against the Aussie Boys next year

Reactions: RHM
Bishop Neal is the best prospect at the level so which team he plays for is likely to win. Be good to see him go up against the Aussie Boys next year

He’s mentioned in this article. The future looks bright for the Warriors.

The Auckland 16's weren't as physically imposing as you'd normally expect a Auckland rep team to be.

Was that a genuine Auckland top 17 mt wellington?
It was but the u16s age group is thin at Auckland club level anyway as a lot of kids have gone to Aus already. Number 16 Charleston Te Rore, who scored the first try for Auckland, was the only other u15s boy besides Bishop Neal and he and Moala were the best of the Auckland side. Fk knows why they didn't start him. The Aotearoa team was a better team on paper but they were kept quiet in the second half.

Last edited:
He might be the best u15s forwards prospect for the Warriors but he's not the best prospect overall, I'd say Charleston is. Check them going head to head in the Maoris U15s final at 1:50. Bishop is wearing the bright pink head gear for Kotahitanga and Charleston is the Storm player running over the top of him.

Last edited:
He might be the best u15s forwards prospect for the Warriors but he's not the best prospect overall, I'd say Charleston is. Check them going head to head in the Maoris U15s final at 1:50. Bishop is wearing the bright pink head gear for Kotahitanga and Charleston is the Storm player running over the top of him.

Yeah he probably gets a lot of hype because he is with the Warriors playing in New Zealand. But to fair he has a good season. Won the Schoolboy title with St Thomas, won the Under 16’s with the South Island U16 and he was on the winning team in the rep game

Yeah he probably gets a lot of hype because he is with the Warriors playing in New Zealand. But to fair he has a good season. Won the Schoolboy title with St Thomas, won the Under 16’s with the South Island U16 and he was on the winning team in the rep game
For his age, he's a big unit and can keep up with the older boys so he'll be fine for Matts. He's only shined in dominant teams so far though.

Charleston is just better IMO, still a year 10 so probably turned 15 in the latter half of the year and goes to a small Maori school so I don't think he'd have been at the NZ schools comp whereas Bishop was in a school team full of stars. Charleston was the best u15s player in Auckland this year in the Otara team that won the ARL final. He also made the SJ u16s cup team that toured the GC at the beginning of the year as a 14 year old. He has a bit of Tawera Nikau about him, rough and raw boned strength that you don't get from the gym. It's just a shame he's signed to the Roosters.

Last edited:
For his age, he's a big unit and can keep up with the older boys so he'll be fine for Matts. He's only shined in dominant teams so far though.

Charleston is just better IMO, still a year 10 so probably turned 15 in the latter half of the year and goes to a small Maori school so I don't think he'd have been at the NZ schools comp whereas Bishop was in a school team full of stars. Charleston was the best u15s player in Auckland this year in the Otara team that won the ARL final. He also made the SJ u16s cup team that toured the GC at the beginning of the year as a 14 year old. He has a bit of Tawera Nikau about him, rough and raw boned strength that you don't get from the gym. It's just a shame he's signed to the Roosters.
Charleston seems like a really good prospect as well. Anthony Gelling was talking him up throughout the game.

387167372_709828914510619_6048237484911765739_n.jpg

Cant be bothered starting a thread for the games last weekend but wanted to talk about some of the boys signed to the club for the HM team next season.

I asked around and tried getting as intel as I could. Apologies as Im going off memory and may have some wrong.

From the list above we have Ashton Denton-Woodhouse (fullback, 5/8), Charleston Te Rore, George Kite, Hudsyn Frost (prop #10), Torbein Beauvais and Tre'vahn Dave.

Czah Sun is signed to the Broncos while Ernie Mahu-Delmere and Phillip Lavakeiaho (prop #8) are both signed to the Roosters. Brent Webb and Leo Aholelei were both there representing the Roosters...

Sorry. Need to make a correction. Grant Pocklington isnt the HM coach. The HM coach for 2024 is TJ Ashford.

From what I know about him he has been involved with the ARL as development officer for a number of years. Not sure why he has been elevated to the HM gig as he's had a terrible record with the clubs he has coached in Ellerslie and Manurewa. A couple of the parents of kids in the team are dismayed that he is the coach. According to them he is a certified level 3 coach on paper only and was lucky to get the role through his connection with Sponge. The other candidate was Jethro Friend who would have been a better bet. The two parents I spoke to today at the Kiwis 16s and 18s games at Bruce Pullman Park are looking to sign their kids to other clubs if he remains the coach past this season. Be interesting to see how he goes as he has some real guns in his team.

Grant Pocklington is coaching the SG Ball team and Ricky Henry is coaching Jersey Flegg. Not sure what happened to Adam Blair but it seems like he is no longer in a coaching role. Sponge is overseeing the whole pathways system from HM to JF.

Will post more about the games today when I finish doing player profiles. A heap of Warriors junior players were involved...
I’ve heard some not so flattering reports about Ashford as well from his time at Manurewa. I’d be surprised if he lasts the season.

Cant be bothered starting a thread for the games last weekend but wanted to talk about some of the boys signed to the club for the HM team next season.

I asked around and tried getting as intel as I could. Apologies as Im going off memory and may have some wrong.

From the list above we have Ashton Denton-Woodhouse (fullback, 5/8), Charleston Te Rore, George Kite, Hudsyn Frost (prop #10), Torbein Beauvais and Tre'vahn Dave.

Czah Sun is signed to the Broncos while Ernie Mahu-Delmere and Phillip Lavakeiaho (prop #8) are both signed to the Roosters. Brent Webb and Leo Aholelei were both there representing the Roosters...
Awesome if Charleston is signed to Warriors, we thought the Roosters had got him.

Man that is a very Southside team. Where is the rest of NZ? Or the rest of anyone other than Marist.

Can Jethro coach the Matts team while also being a player agent?

Man that is a very Southside team. Where is the rest of NZ? Or the rest of anyone other than Marist.
That's the Auckland team, not the Matts squad. There's a group of Waikato boys coming up to train with the squad a few times a week and the commentators in the weekend were talking about a few from the Aotearoa team being signed to the Warriors I'm sure. Hopefully Kaea Cribb is one of them. I think there's 30 to 40 kids in the wider Matts squad including the best U15s that aren't signed to other clubs.

Back