General Big Game Losses!!!!

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
We've lost three games this season, all to the exact same pattern of low intensity and weak defense.

They've also all been on big occasions, Old boys round, Anzac Day, and now Heritage round.

What is going on with this 2018 team?

Reactions: D1zWarz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Well you might say we were missing our halfback and hooker today ... missing our halfback, best centre and best 2nd rowers (among others) on Anzac ...

You'll probably come back with 'NO EXCUSES REEEEEEE' but being that understrength is a valid one.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
This team is a fricken hoodoo magnet. I reckon we've picked up an allergy to pre match ceremonies somewhere along the way.

That's not good if we want to win the GF, because that's a whole week of pre match ceremonies....

• Haha
Reactions: davewjnz

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
Trying to figure out if it's a good or bad thing tbh. if we don't win we get belted. At least we're putting away the close ones we usually would have lost

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
NZ Warriors can't play wet weather football. Our two games we lost at home this season was off back of some bad weather and Anzac game we played away from home was played on ground still wet from a severe weather bomb that hit Melbourne the weekend before. It's that or we just fucking suck ... :(

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Had to quickly change my betting when I saw the pre-match. For whatever reason we don't do the big occasions well. Maybe it's inexperience or a low mental focus threshold but we sure as hell seem to go flat for these games and it's not only this year

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
One for the train spotters. When was the last time we won a big game?

With no offence intended is indigenous round counted as a ‘big game’? Yes it was nice to see the cultural side last night but the timing and length was detrimental imo, went on so long I think we switched off a bit.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Hope they go well in purple during the Women in League round.

Again this seems another one of the NRLs attempts to manufacture a “big” game- want to support women in league? Go attend their games don’t buy a pretty pink jersey where the money doesn’t actually appear to go towards women anyway.

Big games shouldn’t need to be manufactured, they should come naturally like grudge matches, player milestones, top of the table clashes etc not the rounds with a New Jersey to buy

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
This is where the club need to go nek level with the whole breathing huddle thing. That was started off by something Kieran Read told them during a preseason presentation but the club need to go deeper and actually get Gilbert Enoka to work with them. He helped changed the All Blacks choking on big occasions by getting them to use visualisation guides that helped players focus.

One of the key areas was straight after the haka where adrenalin was undoing a lot of the mental prep they had done. Its why in recent times the All Blacks will refocus by doing a couple minutes of warm up before lining up for kick off whereas before they went straight into the game.

I believe the team suffer from the same thing as witnessed by the ANZAC and Indigenous rounds formalities. If I had it my way they would remain in the changing rooms until it was all done. The whole spectacle is for TV anyway.

Read started the revolution. It is time now for the club to take it much much further...

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings