General 2023 Week 1 Finals Opponents

Panthers were my least favourite option for the first game. But thinking some more, they could be the best outcome for us.

We tend to play better when we are underdogs, and there will be plenty to play for here. Conversely, panthers will have pressure to “just put us away”

On top of that, Webster will be keen to get one over the old club, at their home

Us against the broncos - the broncos would have approached us fully prepared.

If we can bring our best next week, we could take the panthers by surprise

I know NRL renowned for smart decisions but why give Pennys/Warriors game the Friday game where both have the 6/7 day turnaround but then give Broncos/Storm the Saturday game where they have a 9 day turnaround? No wonder the Top 4 teams all rested players this week when these random decisions are made. One could think it’s all angled at a Warriors conspiracy but let’s not go down that rabbit whole

TBH on Penriths current form I can’t see us beating them next week but that game will certainly make us battle hardened and let us know where we need to be at.
Circa 2011 in 1st week playoffs we got a 30pt hiding by Broncos. Toughened us up and 3 weeks later we were in the GF.
I can also see the Storm beating Brisbane as well next week. Reynolds hasn’t played for 3 weeks and Carrigan doubtful as well. A Broncos loss puts them on same side of draw as Pennys for week 3. We then match up with Knights/Raiders and the Storm

Ironic we were lining up with the Panthers as a 2 vs 3 clash and after sitting out the stars we’re meeting them as 1 vs 4.

Only change is we could face a red hot Knights in week 2 instead of an easier opposition.

Wanted Broncos

I gotta ask, why?

I understand this is the popular take, but I just don't see how playing the Broncos would give us a better chance.

If anything, they'd want it more than Penrith.

Also, Luai is out for the riff, which is a pretty big loss for them and Reynolds is back for the Broncs week 1....

I gotta ask, why?

I understand this is the popular take, but I just don't see how playing the Broncos would give us a better chance.

Also, Luai is out for the riff, which is a pretty big loss for them and Reynolds is back for the Broncs week 1....
For me broncos although having a great season have a couple of areas that we could target

Match up across the list I like our squad vs Broncos

They like an attack based running style which opens the game up and can create holes in their defensive line as the game goes on

I think our pack dominates there’s and gives us an edge with quick play the ball

Suncorp crowd is shared and could be a physiological advantage to us and could cancel the refs home ground stance

Target Walsh with our kick and chase

Where Penrith are grind and grub and really physical, system based and have been king of the castle for a while now

They like an attack based running style which opens the game up and can create holes in their defensive line as the game goes on

All very valid points.

See it's the Broncos attack that makes me nervous.

Way I see it is that our gameflow lately has been 1) put in the attacking plays earlier and 2) defend the game out.

To me, this flow suits playing a defensive side like Penrith, especially if Luai is out.

This and I'm assuming Webster has a WAY deeper understanding of Penriths systems and thus a better understanding of where it can be exploited.

Of course, this is all guess work.

I gotta ask, why?

1. Suncorp will have a good share of kiwi representation
2. Broncos have chinks in their armour - Walsh is a defensive liability and I don’t rate Coates out wide
3. Reynolds is carrying an injury and hasn’t played for the last few weeks
4. Broncos has limited finals experience meaning they might struggle with 80mins intensity
5. Broncos have players capable of brain farts - Walsh, Staggs, Cobbo

Penrith on the other hand
1. Their defence is a country mile ahead of everyone
2. They have no weak points to exploit - resulting in point 1
3. They are the benchmark 80min team
4. Bluebet stadium is smaller than Suncorp - crowd noisier and closer to the action - 100% Penrith
5. They thrashed the Cows last night and look ready to roll

I can’t see where or how we win against Penrith

1. Suncorp will have a good share of kiwi representation
2. Broncos have chinks in their armour - Walsh is a defensive liability and I don’t rate Coates out wide
3. Reynolds is carrying an injury and hasn’t played for the last few weeks
4. Broncos has limited finals experience meaning they might struggle with 80mins intensity
5. Broncos have players capable of brain farts - Walsh, Staggs, Cobbo

Penrith on the other hand
1. Their defence is a country mile ahead of everyone
2. They have no weak points to exploit - resulting in point 1
3. They are the benchmark 80min team
4. Bluebet stadium is smaller than Suncorp - crowd noisier and closer to the action - 100% Penrith
5. They thrashed the Cows last night and look ready to roll

I can’t see where or how we win against Penrith
We only have to beat Pennys once over next 4 weeks and I’d prefer that win to be in the GF and not this Friday😉

a subpar NQ still scored 12 pts so something to work on.....not to mention the para loss last week.
I actually think we have something up our sleeve attacking wise for finals.....

Basically what I was going to say.

I just think that the perception is that Penrith is invincible, whereas I personally could see a situation where the Broncs take them in a GF.

All very valid points.

See it's the Broncos attack that makes me nervous.

Way I see it is that our gameflow lately has been 1) put in the attacking plays earlier and 2) defend the game out.

To me, this flow suits playing a defensive side like Penrith, especially if Luai is out.

This and I'm assuming Webster has a WAY deeper understanding of Penriths systems and thus a better understanding of where it can be exploited.

Of course, this is all guess work.
Respect…… all good points brother

Surely that's a stuff-up. Not that that's ever happened from New Zealand media before :p They've simply quoted the New Zealand time rather than the Time Zone Time.

If it's like last season, we play on Friday 10pm NZT so 8pm ADT.
It's for our HOME semi.. regardless of what happen v the Riff

For me personally. Broncos.

Penrith have too much experience with Finals footy.

Plus more kiwis live in Brisbane than NZ ;)
I'm nervous and excited. It's Penrith so we have to believe and execute.
Playing devils advocate, who would you rather play in the preliminary final. Broncos at Suncorp , Melbourne at AAMI or Penrith at Accor Stadium.
This is if we lost in first round next week.
If we win next week then 1&2 will be in same side of draw, but we would play Storm in Auckland. Obviously as long as top teams win.
I dislike a Melbourne game in Melbourne. However we need to beat everybody to win. So do it

Back