Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because you’ve been conditioned to think that fission is somehow dirty.
I just thought a process that produced helium and couldn’t have the possibility of a nuclear accident was better than one that produced more radioactive material and radioactive water and that could have a nuclear accident. Although, it looks as if fusion is still many years from being commercially viable.

I just thought a process that produced helium and couldn’t have the possibility of a nuclear accident was better than one that produced more radioactive material and radioactive water and that could have a nuclear accident. Although, it looks as if fusion is still many years from being commercially viable.

Sigh.

Nuclear has the lowest death rate of any power generation source.

More people died building the Clyde Dam than the Fukishima disaster.

There’s radioactive material everywhere. Burning coal releases more radioactive particles than a nuclear power station.

There’s more nuclear particles in a banana than a litre of water being released from Fukishima.

Thanks for being a contestant on “Talking about things you know nothing about “

Sigh.

Nuclear has the lowest death rate of any power generation source.

More people died building the Clyde Dam than the Fukishima disaster.

There’s radioactive material everywhere. Burning coal releases more radioactive particles than a nuclear power station.

There’s more nuclear particles in a banana than a litre of water being released from Fukishima.

Thanks for being a contestant on “Talking about things you know nothing about “
Sorry, but that’s not a comparison between the benefits of fusion or fission.

What’s better? A 100,000 people being evacuated around Fukushima because of a nuclear accident or none from fusion plant as there is no reaction so no chance of a radioactive leak or accident.

What’s better? An inert gas like helium or radioactive material and radioactive water that needs special storage for years and years?

Why compare coal to nuclear when I was wondering which out of the two processes was better?

All I wanted to know was which you thought was better. It’s obvious you feel fusion is.

John key continues with his unfortunate ways like the mccaw handshake and pulling waitresses hair, now he’s having a “blue sausage party”. Bruce will be wondering why Hipkins wasn’t invited.

John key continues with his unfortunate ways like the mccaw handshake and pulling waitresses hair, now he’s having a “blue sausage party”. Bruce will be wondering why Hipkins wasn’t invited.
Yeah.... Key should keep the fuck away from politics. He's done enough damage.. when PM
Then I suppose he pulls Luxons puppet strings so just have to expect more...in the next 3 yrs at least..

Are you anti trade with India or any other countries as much as you seem to be with China?
I would hate to go into a free trade deal with India being as beholden as we seemed to be to China when entering that free trade deal that bailed us out of the GFC. Would rather the short term pain rather than long term. Nothing comes for nothing and this country’s naivety will come back to haunt it as the years go on. Certainly not opposed though to any trading that has our best interests at heart.

Sorry, but that’s not a comparison between the benefits of fusion or fission.
Because one exists and one does not.
What’s better? A 100,000 people being evacuated around Fukushima because of a nuclear accident or none from fusion plant as there is no reaction so no chance of a radioactive leak or accident.

What’s better? An inert gas like helium or radioactive material and radioactive water that needs special storage for years and years?

Why compare coal to nuclear when I was wondering which out of the two processes was better?

All I wanted to know was which you thought was better. It’s obvious you feel fusion is.
I tend to gravitate towards reality.

No wonder you like German Greens. You are living in a fantasy land where there's an honest comparison between fission and fusion.

Because one exists and one does not.

I tend to gravitate towards reality.

No wonder you like German Greens. You are living in a fantasy land where there's an honest comparison between fission and fusion.
While it may not be producing a commercial amount of power, when is the ITER expected to be finished?

And then there was the absolutely stupid decision with the Marsden Point refinery when it was decided that it would process a grade of oil different to what we have in NZ. We ended up having to import oil while exporting our own. DUH!!!
Yes we do have to import while exporting our own but there are good reasons for that.

The refinery, when it was built in 62-64 and then when it was upgraded during think big was designed for sour crude. At that time we had very little if not any oil locally. Only condensate which couldn't be processed here anyway.

When we had some oil discoveries here like Maui B, Maari and the Tui field but they were all sweet crude (top end of the refining process like condensate)and couldn't be handled here. Majority of our oil goes to Geelong on a monthly turnaround but it's not huge, around 600k barrels a month. I think we consume somewhere around 4-5 million barrels a month so you can see we were never going to add much even if we could refine our own. The refinery would have had to be rebuilt to handle both types of crude.

The refinery closure was all to do (what isn't?) with money. The plant was ageing and needed a very large amount of money spent on it even to continue to process sour. The changes to the RMA weren't helpful either.

Was a great opportunity for the govt to step in and show some vision but I'm thinking due to a lack of business understanding and a deep hatred of anything fossil they let it happen. Don't forget the Govt actually built and owned the refinery until after think big when it was given to a consortium of fuel companies. To be fair, not huge margins in refining and even Oz doesn't have that many left.

Back