AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Jazz can’t cover 9. If you’re confident in Egan playing a full 80 then fair enough.

But I do think it will be Jazz vs Evans for the last bench spot. I think they will make a decision based on the match up. If they’re playing a bigger forward back they might go Evans or if it’s a faster track then they probably go with Jazz. But given the trend of faster games then I think Jazz in small minutes off the bench is the better option

Evans was only a two year signing, it’s probably more likely that he was signed for depth and to create competition for spots.

And agree with Leeson Ah-Mau but don’t think it will happen till later in the season. I think Addin Fonua-Blake and Jamayne Tounua-Brown will be starting together by season end.
Yeah I get it , but i don't think you release Blair, Paasi , Burr and try to get rid of Afoa - sign Kane and say 'your here to make people compete....'

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
This is always the time of year that people here look at the best 17, and go 'gee we look good.'

The reality is that our depth will become first choice for much of the year due to injury. I see Brown picking Evans ahead of Jamayne Tounua-Brown on reputation to start with, am not convinced it will be plain sailing for Ben Murdoch-Masila and just can't see Jazz being out of the team for the first few rounds. We actually have a pack that allows Jazz to be what he is, he should go well. We also need someone to help on defence in the middle of games where I think Papali'i's efforts were underappreciated. Lawton provides utility insurance, a break for Egan if he needs it and some offensive spark off the bench, which I think we need as we still lack speed and points when I look closely at the roster.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
There is a bit of dissent about his usefulness. He has produced at international level against the best, so he is obviously capable.

Like all players it has to be how best to use him, short bursts out wide, longer minutes wide, middle forward. I suspect short bursts, but then the team and bench have to adjust to that.

We have a whole pre season to go through before there is any chance of predicting a team. Being signed does not give an automatic pass to a starting spot.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
There is a bit of dissent about his usefulness. He has produced at international level against the best, so he is obviously capable.

Like all players it has to be how best to use him, short bursts out wide, longer minutes wide, middle forward. I suspect short bursts, but then the team and bench have to adjust to that.

We have a whole pre season to go through before there is any chance of predicting a team. Being signed does not give an automatic pass to a starting spot.
I think its hard to judge for us what kind of player we're getting. If it's the Ben Murdoch-Masila that fired against Australia last year then he will be a valuable player for us.

But if we're only getting what we saw from him at Warrington the last two seasons then thats not NRL quality at all and he will struggle to even make the bench given we just signed Sironen who's far better IMO.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Hopefully these guys feed off each other like the Tongan pack seems to. I thought Addin Fonua-Blake seemed to lose interest a bit this year when Hetherington stood up to him and Taupau against manly. Whether brown likes it or not I think Gould will be valuable to hold these guys to a standard. Massive competitiveness for positions so trainings will be physical, even the Montoya signing I like let alone the Sironen one because if there’s no favourites with the coach you’ve got something to play for.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I mean I wouldn't call him the 'real deal' by NRL standards. He had a good game against Australia, which is where the majority of the hype on this forum has come from. Other than that, he's barely fired in the super league (a massively inferior competition). He hasn't made the super league team of the year since 2017. For someone that is the real deal, you would think he would be in the Man of Steel discussion, which I don't think he ever has.

Just my opinion, but chuck Murchie in the super league and he would produce better results than Ben Murdoch-Masila, especially at the rate he is developing. Ben Murdoch-Masila does have one hell of a highlights package though.
Fair enough. For all we know he might play prop lol. Wouldn't surprise me. He's a pretty big unit for a 2nd rower...

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Good impact player - him and Jazz from the bench

Reactions: mt.wellington

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Want that Burgess's first game back and his fitness was quite underdone? How many more times did Ben Murdoch-Masila do anything like that over the rest of the season?
I couldn’t tell you how many times but that’s Ben Murdoch-Masila’s signature play tbh. Either back inside like the try or wider where the centre is standing. He’s an interchange wrecking ball

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Matulino, Price, Wiki, Rapira, Packer, Tuimavave
Luck, Mannering, Swann, Koopu, Fai, Lauaki
Fien, Henderson

None too shabby. Scraped us into 8th with an electric McKinnon.
Not bad, not many total bullies tho cept for Packer, Rubes and Benny M in his early seasons. All champion Warriors though. Price is probably the kingpin of that group. Let's hope we're heading back to those days nxt year.

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Matulino, Price, Wiki, Rapira, Packer, Tuimavave
Luck, Mannering, Swann, Koopu, Fai, Lauaki
Fien, Henderson

None too shabby. Scraped us into 8th with an electric McKinnon. Hohaia
Hohaia was the fullback for the majority of 2008. Mckinnon tore up in 2007 behind a similar forward pack (no Matulino, Packer or Fai) and we finished 4th

Billy Teets James

Wasn't that Burgess's first game back and his fitness was quite underdone? How many more times did Ben Murdoch-Masila do anything like that over the rest of the season?
Underdone or not. He still sat the huge human on his nono. Ben wasn't fully fit either. With hammy & knee problems hindering his performances the past few years. He's fitter than he's ever been now.
Fast as fuck for a big fulla. And powerful. I'm a fan lol.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Underdone or not. He still sat the huge human on his nono. Ben wasn't fully fit either. With hammy & knee problems hindering his performances the past few years. He's fitter than he's ever been now.

Me too! If he goes shit I will blame Brown for not being able to motivate him, give me something to moan about anyway.

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia

Nice highlights only thing is we are the NZ Warriors and we play in an ozzy comp, I bet my bottom $ the big ben gets penalized heaps in the NRL

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings