Matulino creates an NRL first in 100th game

Tuesday 19 June 2012 6:05 PM
awww.warriors.co.nz_site__content_LeadImage_00031800_image.jpg
Vodafone Warriors prop Ben Matulino created an even more significant slice of history than initially thought when he appeared in his 100th NRL game in Saturday night’s encounter with Cronulla.
Checks have confirmed he didn’t merely become the first Vodafone Junior Warriors NYC graduate to play 100 first-grade games for the club; he is indeed the first NYC product from all 16 clubs to achieve the feat since the Toyota Cup’s came into existence five years ago.
A foundation NYC player in 2008, Matulino also made his first-grade debut as a 19-year-old the same season.
Having played every match in 2010 and 2011 – 53 in all – the Wellington-born and raised forward started the 2012 season with 86 appearances, two more than Parramatta halfback Chris Sandow, a South Sydney NYC player in the under-20 competition’s opening season.
In his 14th game of the year on Saturday night – his 67th consecutive appearance – Matulino became the 20th player to reach the 100-game mark for the Vodafone Warriors since the club’s debut in 1995.
Sandow, who has played 12 times for the Eels this year, is set to become the next NYC graduate to bring up his 100th appearance, sitting on 96 at the moment.
It says much for the Vodafone Warriors’ commitment to its development policy that Matulino’s front row partner Russell Packer is in line to become the third NYC product to amass 100 NRL appearances. Packer, like Matulino, also made his NRL debut in 2008 and currently sits on 91 NRL games.
Matulino, only 23, has the further distinction of having already played in 12 Tests for the Kiwis including the 2010 Four Nations final triumph against Australia at Suncorp Stadium.
Other NYC graduates closing in on 100 NRL games are Brisbane hooker Andrew McCullough (91), his team-mate and Kiwi back rower Alex Glenn (89) and Canterbury-Bankstown prop Aiden Tolman (89).

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
That looks so fucking weird
That's what I found strange when I first started watching league, watching union in the amateur days as a young fella here guys would move for their job or should that be "job". But it didn't happen very often. I watched league for a season knew where which clubs all of the main players played for, next season while watching they mention someone in the wrong team, get a close up. Ok that's weird. Players transfer a lot more know so it's usually the players who have been at one club for a long time now that it usually occurs. Cronk in Roosters colours is another one.

A pretty weird photo to try and gauge if he has slimmed down a lot, with the angle and a bit far back with the floor space in front of him. Black is also pretty slimming.

Interested to see how the Tigers go with the two former Warriors props and the others Cleary has recruited.

Reactions: Straight up

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
That's what I found strange when I first started watching league, watching union in the amateur days as a young fella here guys would move for their job or should that be "job". But it didn't happen very often. I watched league for a season knew where which clubs all of the main players played for, next season while watching they mention someone in the wrong team, get a close up. Ok that's weird. Players transfer a lot more know so it's usually the players who have been at one club for a long time now that it usually occurs. Cronk in Roosters colours is another one.

Mate I saw a photo of crook in roosters colors the other and it just didn't register. I was thinking who is this fella? He was familiar but I couldn't place it- then it clicked and I went oh fuck it's cronk- he was the same same- but different.

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Feb 22, 2016
For those who have wonder what has happen to Mutts read below. It will be sad if he is forced into retirement.

Knee injury may force Matulino to hang up boots
AuthorMichael ChammasChief ReporterTimestampThu

Wests Tigers prop Ben Matulino may have played his last game of rugby league as he faces the prospect of entering retirement.
NRL.com understands the knee injury the 30-year-old suffered in the club’s 27-26 victory against the Cowboys in round 14 is potentially career-ending.
Matulino hasn’t been able to return to training since the injury and there are genuine fears his NRL days are numbered.
The Wests Tigers have been struggling in the forwards and want him back on the field, however the medical advice suggests he may struggle to play again.

The RLPA is working closely with Matulino, who is guaranteed the full amount of his contract, which expires at the end of 2020.
However, if it is deemed he has suffered a career-ending injury, the Tigers may have his contract - believed to be upwards of around $600,000 next year - excluded from the salary cap.

The NRL is aware of the situation and will need to be convinced the injury isn’t chronic and has been the result of a career-ending injury for Matulino’s contract to be wiped from the cap.

Matulino has played 248 NRL games since his Telstra Premiership debut for the Warriors in 2008, joining the Tigers last season under former coach Ivan Cleary.
Prior to his knee injury in round 14, Matulino had played in 36 of the possible 37 games since joining the Tigers.
He’s also proven to be quite resilient throughout his career, playing in 215 of the possible 234 games since cementing a regular spot in the NRL in 2010.
Davis/NRL Photos

While it’s unfortunate for Matulino and the Tigers, the potential retirement could allow them the opportunity to lure new players to the club.
It comes a week after Josh Reynolds was granted permission by the club to negotiate with rival teams after Benji Marshall indicated he was playing on.
The potential departure of Reynolds and retirement of Matulino could mean the Tigers head into next season with more than $1 million in the bank to sign some new faces.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
For those who have wonder what has happen to Mutts read below. It will be sad if he is forced into retirement.

Knee injury may force Matulino to hang up boots
AuthorMichael ChammasChief ReporterTimestampThu

Wests Tigers prop Ben Matulino may have played his last game of rugby league as he faces the prospect of entering retirement.
NRL.com understands the knee injury the 30-year-old suffered in the club’s 27-26 victory against the Cowboys in round 14 is potentially career-ending.
Matulino hasn’t been able to return to training since the injury and there are genuine fears his NRL days are numbered.
The Wests Tigers have been struggling in the forwards and want him back on the field, however the medical advice suggests he may struggle to play again.

The RLPA is working closely with Matulino, who is guaranteed the full amount of his contract, which expires at the end of 2020.
However, if it is deemed he has suffered a career-ending injury, the Tigers may have his contract - believed to be upwards of around $600,000 next year - excluded from the salary cap.

The NRL is aware of the situation and will need to be convinced the injury isn’t chronic and has been the result of a career-ending injury for Matulino’s contract to be wiped from the cap.

Matulino has played 248 NRL games since his Telstra Premiership debut for the Warriors in 2008, joining the Tigers last season under former coach Ivan Cleary.
Prior to his knee injury in round 14, Matulino had played in 36 of the possible 37 games since joining the Tigers.
He’s also proven to be quite resilient throughout his career, playing in 215 of the possible 234 games since cementing a regular spot in the NRL in 2010.
Davis/NRL Photos

While it’s unfortunate for Matulino and the Tigers, the potential retirement could allow them the opportunity to lure new players to the club.
It comes a week after Josh Reynolds was granted permission by the club to negotiate with rival teams after Benji Marshall indicated he was playing on.
The potential departure of Reynolds and retirement of Matulino could mean the Tigers head into next season with more than $1 million in the bank to sign some new faces.
I read the article and instantly thought this is a club getting out of a contract and freeing cap space. Matulino doesnt have a history of injury, this just seems like an out for the club.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I read the article and instantly thought this is a club getting out of a contract and freeing cap space. Matulino doesnt have a history of injury, this just seems like an out for the club.

I think the hint is in there.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I reckon he’s been suffering from knee injuries at least for 4-5 seasons. Was a great player but injuries have taken a massive toll. Would have loved to have seen him surrounded by a better quality pack something he never got the luxury of from when Packer went off the rails and Rapira broke down.

Reactions: Worried2Death

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
You also tar Matulino with that brush and that's bullshit TBH. He's not the type to lie down. The fact that he has done so well in his career without injury points more towards him not faking this injury than it does in the negative way you put it in. If he's fit, he's playing. No two ways about it...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
You also tar Matulino with that brush and that's bullshit TBH. He's not the type to lie down. The fact that he has done so well in his career without injury points more towards him not faking this injury than it does in the negative way you put it in. If he's fit, he's playing. No two ways about it...

Nothing concrete stated over him, just 'sources say'. Hope it isnt true, he played well for us over the years.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
If the club doesnt want him and hes planning to retire at then end of this contract anyway then it could be a mutual agreement. Its not lying down, its taking early retirement

If something like this happens and the player is in the middle of their career so they will play again, a club just doesnt get to write 600k off and use it next year. Effectively any prop the Warriors were in the market for, the Tigers are now instantly in the market for. The fact that the Tigers have been so quick to pull the trigger and this is in the media makes me think they want to make a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sup42

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
If the club doesnt want him and hes planning to retire at then end of this contract anyway then it could be a mutual agreement. Its not lying down, its taking early retirement

If something like this happens and the player is in the middle of their career so they will play again, a club just doesnt get to write 600k off and use it next year. Effectively any prop the Warriors were in the market for, the Tigers are now instantly in the market for. The fact that the Tigers have been so quick to pull the trigger and this is in the media makes me think they want to make a change.
It would suck if they pressure him to play an he ends up hurt for life .
Used to be my favorite prop second rower behind Manu .
Hope it ends well for him.

Reactions: FuNQie

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
He is only 29 is best years are ahead of him, it beggars belief Doyle/Kearney/George/Iro couldn't see that, fucken disgraceful

Our club make a lot of poor decisions, but in terms of ushering out players with injury concerns, they seem to have gotten it right here. With the benefit of hindsight, letting Muts collect a pension for the Tigers seems to have worked out well for us. He was middling at best for the Tigers and now it seems that his career is winding down.

I believe SJ's constant issues last year played a part in the club baulking at his asking price; we're seeing that last year wasn't a total aberration in terms of small injuries constantly sidelining him.

Point being, we do some silly shit in recruitment, but at least we seem to know when injuries are beginning to pile up.

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings