Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And State Advances iirc would accept a deposit based on Child Welfare payments capitalisation.
Pretty sure that how it worked
You could capitalise your family benefit or whatever it was called. But for state housing and the big building programmes of the 50's and 60's it was much easier. Imagine hnz owning Otara, having dozens of builders , producing their own limited range of designs and simply building as they pleased on their own land, no consents required. Saved massive time and cost. Those days have long gone.

You could capitalise your family benefit or whatever it was called. But for state housing and the big building programmes of the 50's and 60's it was much easier. Imagine hnz owning Otara, having dozens of builders , producing their own limited range of designs and simply building as they pleased on their own land, no consents required. Saved massive time and cost. Those days have long gone.
This was similar to what should have been when Labour introduced Kiwi Build!! Could have involved the department of corrections also..

As I've stated, quite a few times now, all of these things have complexity and depth, which seldom get explored here because anyone sane would actually want to spend time with their families and watch the warriors, and the black caps (well, maybe not lately) :)
I’m at work… the perfect time to get some posting done!

This was similar to what should have been when Labour introduced Kiwi Build!! Could have involved the department of corrections also..
I’ve recently got onto a Facebook page with newspaper articles and photos about Auckland in the 1930’s.

Phenomenal the quantity of development. They build most of Aucklands major infrastructure without all our machinery. Used a lot of prison labour.

They build most of Tamaki drive around the waterfront in a year. Would never be done now due to the ecological damage to the beaches, rocks, etc. Unemployed labour used. The residents adjusted to the changes instead of the changes catering to the residents.

Nowadays would never get through the planning process and cost to much!

Hey Mike - IT IS THE GREEDY LANDLORDS. But anyway, try building new, and regulating air bnb, also a bed tax for travellers.

Housing is a need mate.
Yip…. Completely ignoring the fact that extra costs on landlords are past on to tenants.

Creating even more taxes and regulations isn’t going to change that.

Talking personally, if we were greedy and charge our tenants all the costs associated with the rental, we’d be increasing the rent by over 30%. As it is, starting to get back the ability to claim back the interest on the mortgage means we won’t be increasing it next year. But, hey, keep calling me, as a landlord, greedy.

Housing is a need but it’s still subject to supply and demand with the same drivers.

Why treat it differently to food, cars or clothing, which are provided by profit driven businesses but the competition drives as small a profit margin as is viable. Embrace competition to get low prices. Interfere (taxes; disincentives) and get higher prices… as we’ve found out.

Treating it as non profitable won’t supply the housing we need - why build at a loss? Taxing alternative uses is ‘fiddling while Rome burns’ as it doesn’t solve the actual problem of being uneconomic to supply more housing stock.
Housing NZ can just keep getting further and further in debt…. A debt they can’t currently pay back.

Yip…. Completely ignoring the fact that extra costs on landlords are past on to tenants.

Creating even before and before taxes and regulations isn’t going to change that.

Talking personally, if we were greedy and charge our tenants all the costs associated with the rental, we’d be increasing the rent by over 30%. As it is, starting to get back the ability to claim back the interest on the mortgage means we won’t be increasing it next year. But, hey, keep calling me, as a landlord, greedy.
Mike - this government has conducted war on te reo, on workers by cancelling fair pay and reintroducing 90 day trials, rolled back workers rights, cancelled free prescriptions, set us back decades in the climate battle all the while screaming, without real proof that the economy has been tanked by Labour (so far it's been noise)

And yet Landlords get a retrospective tax cut worth billions.

No sympathy mate.

Mike - this government has conducted war on te reo, on workers by cancelling fair pay and reintroducing 90 day trials, rolled back workers rights, cancelled free prescriptions, set us back decades in the climate battle all the while screaming, without real proof that the economy has been tanked by Labour (so far it's been noise)

No sympathy mate.
And you’ve no sympathy for tenants because tenants have already had to pay more rent because of that policy and the reduction of rental properties as they’ve been turned into Air BnBs. It’s a consequence of a policy which Treasury advised against and people warned the government would happen.

But, I do agree with you that some landlords are greedy pricks…. I had the displeasure of meeting one a few weeks ago. I don’t care if I had no work on, I wouldn’t do work for this jerk. He wanted to do an extension to a rental property. His tenants had vacated as they had just brought their first house….. not in the same area and definitely a step down in quality from what they were renting but it was theirs and they had entered the property market by saving hard for their deposit. This jerk of a landlord told me he just wished he’d charged them more rent if they could afford to save for their own place. I thought he was joking, but, no, he meant it.

In the meantime, our tenants have given their notice because they’ve brought their first house. They are really good tenants and we’re disappointed to lose them but really pleased they’re getting their own place.

Can you explain that tax cut?

You can’t mean the ability to claim an expense which is a legitimate expense, is claimable by all other businesses and claimable by landlords everywhere else in the world.

The change treasury didn’t support when labour pushed ahead.

It’s not a tax cut, it’s allowing expenses used to derive income to be claimed against that income.

Have you bought the Labour propoganda? Explain what tax cut you mean?

Can you explain that tax cut?

You can’t mean the ability to claim an expense which is a legitimate expense, is claimable by all other businesses and claimable by landlords everywhere else in the world.

The change treasury didn’t support when labour pushed ahead.

It’s not a tax cut, it’s allowing expenses used to derive income to be claimed against that income.

Have you bought the Labour propoganda? Explain what tax cut you mean?
Mom and pop landlords aren't running a business.

Wayne Brown is a knob but I think you need a person like him to make anything happen in council.
There is so much process and rules and people who just slow everything down, unless you have a righteous full of it asshole who thinks he/she knows it all then you just get nothing done.
Nice or bringing the team along for the journey doesn't get anything done.

I’ve recently got onto a Facebook page with newspaper articles and photos about Auckland in the 1930’s.

Phenomenal the quantity of development. They build most of Aucklands major infrastructure without all our machinery. Used a lot of prison labour.

They build most of Tamaki drive around the waterfront in a year. Would never be done now due to the ecological damage to the beaches, rocks, etc. Unemployed labour used. The residents adjusted to the changes instead of the changes catering to the residents.

Nowadays would never get through the planning process and cost to much!
You do know that the bulk of the Auckland flooding in recent times with weather events (ever-increasing - why?) were due to inadequate and outdated stormwater infrastructure don't you? You can rave on about why we need more housing and how complicated they've made it but the means justifies the ends. As so.eone mentioned earlier, its really complex. Stormwater and other jnfrastructure needs to be addressed to accommodate any development and yes absolutely environmental solutions because you can juggle costs around as much as you like but if we f*** the environment in which we want to do it in the costs rise exponentially to fix up the bugger ups!
And further, you do know how GDP works right? What happens across the whole country is put in the mix and hard hit areas (from things like cyclones) are in there, not differentiated from the rest of the countries growth or losses.
Stop measuring our progress against the rest of the world and in dollar/ debt terms - by that I mean stop relying on comparison to the rest of the world money-wise. Fix ourselves up first.
Could say a lot more but its almost shutdown time for moi!

Mom and pop landlords aren't running a business.
Read the government sites…. It’s a business, it needs to keep business records, make tax returns and pay tax.

So are you not going to claim the super.
Makes me wonder how many who don’t like Nationals income tax cuts by altering the tax thresholds will be donating their extra income to charity.

I actually don’t mind the idea of asset and incometesting for super. The problem is setting a threshold which isn’t too low.

Back