General Backline for 2013?

Reaction score
MarkW

MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So, now that Nielsen's signing has been confirmed, how do you think the backline will shape up for next season?

I'm guessing something like:

1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Nielsen
4. Hurrell/Benry/Ropo
5. Vaartuvay
6. Leuluai
7. Sugartits Johnson

Halves backup being God and Carlos?

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
I'll come back to this in the off-season - too many variables. Namely how Hurrell develops, what is happening with Inu and whether or not Godinet gets any extended time in the halves this year.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

So, now that Nielsen's signing has been confirmed, how do you think the backline will shape up for next season?

1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Nielsen
4. Hurrell/Benry/Ropo
5. Vaartuvay
6. Leuluai
7. Sugartits Johnson

For me:

1.Locke
2.Tupou
3.Nielsen
4.Henry
5.Vatuvei
6.Tuimavave
7.Johnson

14. Leuluai

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I

1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Nielsen
4. Hurrell/Benry/Ropo
5. Vaartuvay
6. Leuluai
7. Sugartits Johnson

I'd still like to see Inu on the wing, but that aint gonna happen after last week's shambles (and the re-signing of Lil' Bill.)

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I reckon Bluey will go;

1) Locke
2) Tupou
3) Neilson
4) Ropati
5) Vatuvei
6) Leuluai
7) Johnson

Dunno why, but I have a hunch.

Reaction score
MarkW

MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
For me:

1.Locke
2.Tupou
3.Nielsen
4.Henry
5.Vatuvei
6.Tuimavave
7.Johnson

14. Leuluai
I think Carlos will end up being the No.6 but I reckon Bluey will want a more experienced head in there to start with.
Leuluai will be a very good utility option though, much like Hohaia but a better playmaker.

I'm also working on the premise that Inu will be released.

Reaction score
Eva

Eva

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
I'd like to see Collier get a run later on this year and/or next year. I liked him in the U20's and from what I've seen in the Vulcan's he's still good, plus we need someone to replace Maloney with our conversions.

I'd go:

1. Fisiiahi - since I prefer him over Locke
2. Collier
3. Nielsen
4. Benry/Hurrel
5. Vatuvei
6. Tuimavave
7. Johnson

14. Leuluai

I agree with the comments of thinking Bluey may prefer a more experienced player at 6 to start with, but I hope that Tuimavave gets some game time at 6 and builds on a first grade pairing with Johnson. It'd be good to have two young halves that have been playing together for a while and will be the future of the club. With players like Collier and Nielsen in the team, if the Fish is injured during a game, Collier can move to FB, Nielsen to Wing and Captain Mannering/Tuimavave to center, Leuluai is cover for the halves. It would mean a bit of reshuffling but that way they could have Leuluai on the bench with a 3 forward/prop bench.

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
I'd like to see Collier get a run later on this year and/or next year. I liked him in the U20's and from what I've seen in the Vulcan's he's still good, plus we need someone to replace Maloney with our conversions.
Collier has impressed me in Vulcans, he has definitely exceeded my expectations. However, I still rate him behind Vatuvei, Inu, Tupou and Fisiiahi for a wing spot. As for his goal kicking, even if he was in the team I think I'd chose Locke or Johnson over him.

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I dont rate Fisiahi over Locke at all.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I thought Collier was a Luke Covell for the Juniors.. Solid, kicks goals and thats all. Has a bit of size but I never saw him use it well enough to be considered for higher honours. Fish is ahead of him easily anyway. I would love to see;

Locke
Tupou
Nielson
Hurrell
Vatuvei
TL
SJ

That left edge could demolish sides.. SJ running it out wide to Hurrell who busts 2 tackles to put Manu over in the corner? Yes Please. Will nned to develop a good defence combo to work though.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the backline picks itself (at this point). The main question is who will be the other centre...and will Henry stay in the backline or be moved to the backrow? The club will obviously be hoping Hurrell develops into a consistent first grade centre by the end of this season, and with Inu (likely) on the way out - will probably re-sign Ropati as depth.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I dont rate Fisiahi over Locke at all.
HOW COULD ANYBODY? Not to be a dick, but I would just like to see some sort of justification for thinking Fish is anywhere in Locke's universe. From what we saw in his games this year Fish can't defend, doesn't bother with kick returns, and was a non event in attack...

Tuimavave is coasting on his form from 2 years ago tbh. He's been either injured or just slightly above average all year and most of last. Certainly his form doesn't justify giving him the first shot over an international in TL. That said, a lot can happen in one off season and we may well see TL playing the bench utility.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
1. Fisiiahi - since I prefer him over Locke
I find this very hard to believe.

I personally can't even find room in the extended squad for the Fish. I will be very upset if the announcement comes that we have lost Omar. I believe Omar should be our first choice winger along with Manu and our backup Fullback. He has incredible defence in the U20s. Naturally he won't be as strong defensively in first grade, but a strong junior defence is at least a good start, and from what I have seen any defence is better than Fish's limp attempts. I would be using Tupou as depth on the wing in case of injury to Manu or Omar (or injury to Locke with Omar shifting back). I would frankly be happy if the club released Fish to sign Omar.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Spot on. Omar has a massive upside, not only on field but off as well. He's hugely marketable to the Arab population as he'd be one of very few in the NRL. Could be massive in the future if he's even close to the player he's been in the U20s...

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
1. Locke
2. Tupou (Competition may win out, but at the moment he's a safe option that's steadily improving.)
3. Nielsen (Owns his spot but as Benry has Browns spot, he'll always be a good back up should Nielsen go down.)
4. Hurrell (This shouldn't be up for debate. Honestly, he's got potential to be our best centre ever.)
5. Vatuvei (Manu may be replaced at some time, possibly next season. Which would bring, Omar, Inu or whoever is next off the rank into play.)
6. Godinet - Leuluai - Tuimavave (This needs an off season to sort out, as all three have strong points.)
7. Johnson

Just like to say i hope we manage to keep who we want in our current outside back collection. I'm a lover of depth. Though not knowing the next crop of young blood so early, new stars will always emerge.

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Tupou is bound to be in the mix as he has just signed a new contract.

Reaction score

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
1. Locke.............no contest
2. Tupou............finally showed he can finish like an NRL winger
3. Henry.............if he's this good after 9 games, how good will he be after a whole season, better than Nielson I'll bet.
4. Hurrell............his defense was vastly improved vs the Bronc's, again, by next season he could be anything.
5. Fissiahi/Inu.....both have the ability, but are both too stupid or too lazy to get close to their potential, lets hope one of them can pull their heads outa their asses.
6. Tuimavave/Ropati.....a 6 who plays like a tight center will be perfect running off SJ next season, Godinet or TL will be a step backwards IMO.
7. Johnson..........with Maloney gone, there will be no more taking a back seat to the so called senior half, next year we'll see exactly what he can do.

Neilson and TL are depth players only, good solid depth no doubt, but injury cover none the less.

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Personnally, I might be tempted by;

1) Locke
2) Inu
3) Neilson
4) Hurrell
5) Manu
6) Leiuluai
7) Johnson

and

8) Rapira
9) Freind
10) Matalino
11) Benry
12) Mannering
13) Taylor

and

14) Lilliman
15) Packer
16) Matteo
17) Lousi

18) Ropati

But I am not Bluey.

Reaction score

Jordan G

Hurrell is our right centre, it will be Neilsen/Ropati fighting it out for the left centre birth I'd imagine.

1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Hurrell
4. Neilsen
5. Omar (although I don't expect him to be here unfortunately).

Manu/Henry into the pack for Brown/Luck

Top Bottom