General Back up Hooker

Five&Last

Five&Last

I personally like Lawton as the back up hooker. Stronger defender than Cherrington and Cook. He's faster also which suits him coming off the bench.

Still can't believe how much Cherrington has fallen off since his U20 days. His downside is that he's decent at everything but not great at any one thing.

I liked Eiden Ackland's game at hooker last year for the U20's, knew how to control the game from there and had an unreal kicking game from dummy half. Looks to have moved back into the halves this year though.

Paulo24

Paulo24

I thought Cherrington was an excellent attacking hooker, it’s his defence that isn’t as robust as the others and it seems that Defensive strength is a key Kearney focus (we would all agree that defence is vital). Cherrington did an interview and revealed he was around 83-85 kgs, he said he had been asked to put on weight for defensive reasons. That’s his issue, I think he’s a better hooker than Cooke, Tevaga.

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
I personally like Lawton as the back up hooker. Stronger defender than Cherrington and Cook. He's faster also which suits him coming off the bench.

Still can't believe how much Cherrington has fallen off since his U20 days. His downside is that he's decent at everything but not great at any one thing.

I liked Eiden Ackland's game at hooker last year for the U20's, knew how to control the game from there and had an unreal kicking game from dummy half. Looks to have moved back into the halves this year though.
I'm always banging on at parents of young half backs to encourage kids to field kick / practice as they would for the other skills.

Having a long kicking game is a licence to print money in NZ rugby league and an insurance policy for selection.

Tony Kemp is the only one I've seen excell with a long range boot.

He would have killed it in this 40/20 era with a conditioning coach like Corvo ( could have been fitter/ leaner).

Jones practised heaps....I'm sure Johnson would....start them young folks ....

I wouldn't try tell young Aklands father anything about anything except maybe look at Kearneys preference for developing endurance athletes rather than Props on Wings.....bleh

Lawton at Hooker for mine....reasonable halves option at a pinch if Tohu Harris goes down lol#our Six foot five back up half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tragic