General Back up Hooker

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by playdaball, Mar 3, 2018.

1. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

WithNate Roache now confirmed as out for the season , the back up hooker to Issac Luke will be interesting:

Sam Cooke - seems to have this spot cemented for round 1. I watched him play a bit in the lower grades and thought he was an adequate footballer, but has had a solid off season and has the backing of Steve Kearney. I thought he was very average in the Storm game with sloppy service but bounced back against the Titans. Is his defence up to it?

Mania Cherrington - Has dropped down further in the rankings which is a surprise as was knocking on the first grade door last year. He was a stand out for the reserves last year

Karl Lawton - like a good comedian, timing is everything and he has arrived into Akld at the right time.

Jazz Tevita - we all know he can swear, having seen the Sky documentary but perhaps now not suited to hooker? His service was not good in the Storm game

Mason Lino - I've only seen him at 7 or 6, could move to hooker but I believe covered with players above

Edien Ackland - has a good league surname, thought I'd throw him off n for a laugh!

Or ...

Luke to play 80 minutes. He looks to be fit enough however evidence shows that he buckles under physical stress. Wasn't Kata seen as a back up hooker once? They'd be a lot of darts from dummy esp, 5-10 metres from the line

What do you think?

2. TripleL
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2016

TripleL 1st Grade Fringe

To get the best out of Luke I don’t think you can use him as a 80min player.

Agree with you comments re Cooke - would seem like he’s had a good preseason but there’s certainly so doubt about his ability at NRL level.

Lawton seemingly fits with what you want as a backup dummy half. I’m sure he’ll get his opportunity unless Cooke out preforms expectations...

Like Jazz as a player but not a dummy half.

3. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

It’s strange how Manaia has gone from starting hooker in that friendly game at camp to not featuring at all in the trials. If he’s not injured I have a feeling he wants to go back to Sydney

4. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Karl was brought here to play
    Its no accident Roach out Karl in
    The club would have known for a while about roaches injury an have found
    A replacement with same amount of game time .Our recruitment team
    Are on the ball at the moment.
    Luke is definitely going to miss games this year .Suspensions ,Injuries etc..
    Its part of the deal with him .
    The only question iv got is does Karl come strait in round one
    Or does he get a couple of weeks to learn the calls.

5. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I dunno if it’s keeping him out of the side but I know Manaia’s been told by the coaches he needs to bulk up, they’re obviously not confident he can handle the rigours of playing in the middle of the park in first grade yet.

The way I see it the race for the Utility role is between Cooke and Lawton, I’d expect those two will be in and out of the side for the 2018 season with Cooke starting against the Bunny’s while Lawton familiarise’s himself his new surroundings and the team structures.

6. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

I think this club is past that point.

Luke
    Lawton/Cook
    Lino

7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I can't see it any other way.The positive is they might both put pressure on Bully Luke.

8. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Well Luke's gonna have to play the lions share- 60- 65 minutes so whoever is backing him up won't get too much time at dummy half so they're gonna have to have the ability to cover other positions too.
    That rules Cherington out.
    I was a big fan of Cooke in the 20s- thought he got mucked around a bit. Same thing happened here at the burleigh bears- the coach at the time had nfi.
    Tevagas not much of a dummy half- plays tough tho and gives u another running forward option.
    Lawton is probably the most talented of the lot and versatile.
    I can see him cementing the utility spot by years end but Cooke obviously has the jump on him.

9. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

Thats not even taking injuries into account.

10. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

An injury to Luke could then see Cooke as number 1 and Lawton as back up?

On paper, without doubt, the weakest hooking pairing in the NRL.

11. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

The fact that Supercoach Kearney plays Tevanga at 13 is an absolute joke. Has to be the smallest 13 in the comp.

Tevanga either has to play Hooker or he can go take this tough guy persona to the Superleague.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Shit a couple of days ago I was thinking hookers all good .The only question
    I had was whether roach was going to take Luke's spot this year or next .
    Sometimes we can't catch a break

13. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Well in that scenario where u would need someone to play big minutes at hooker I'd go with Cherrington.

14. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

True but seems to have fallen behind in the pegging order. He’ll need some solid performances in reserve grade to get him back up.

15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

Seems ridiculous considering the fact that Sam Cook is looking odds on favourite to play hooker and he's the smallest guy in the whole team. Wonder if Manaia is getting played elsewhere???

16. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

The condition Luke is in he might be able to go 80 minutes anyway, maybe;)

17. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

OMG, I’ve slipped into an alternate universe where this Bruce almost said something nice about Luke

18. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

IS Cherrington at the club still and fit? He is a good player, having cook and Tevaga in front of him is ridiculous

19. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I still think he is an unprofessional shite who didn't earn his coin over the last two seasons, but he is bloody ripped and obviously very fit. So he has pulled his finger out and if he continues to do so that will make people very happy.

20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I think the attitude of the management is to have the reserve grade as a genuine backup rather than a naughty dungeon. We might have to get used to competition for first grade spots.