General Back To Back Wins - Vodafone Warriors 30, Newcastle 18

Jesbass_old

Guest
From www.warriors.co.nz:

Nathan Fien's first half double put the Vodafone Warriors on course to complete a 2006 home-and-away double when they beat Newcastle in their NRL match at Ericsson Stadium on Sunday.
Hooker Fien surged over from dummy half in the 13th minute and backed up for his second in the 30th minute after an Awen Guttenbeil bust had set Brent Webb free.
Leading 14-6 at halftime the Vodafone Warriors, who beat the Knights 26-22 at Energy Australia Stadium in April, went on with it in the second half. Tries came from Sione Faumuina, Jerome Ropati and captain Steve Price, taking them out to a commanding 30-10 lead with 18 minutes still to play.
Newcastle finished the match with late tries to Todd Lowrie and Aucklander George Carmont to trim the margin but the Vodafone Warriors prevailed to record just their second win in 10 matches against the Knights in Auckland.
It was also the home side's second instance of back-to-back wins this season, this success coming after last Sunday's 22-12 win over the Sydney Roosters. Ironically the Knights were also the second leg of the club's only other instance of two wins on end this season, that coming after the round three win against Wests Tigers was followed by the win in Newcastle.
The most poignant try was Price's effort in the 62nd minute when Fien put him through a gaping hole. Price's mother Margaret had travelled from Australia to watch her son play his 250th first-grade game and he obliged by crossing for the 25th try of his career, a strike rate of precisely one try for every 10 matches.
He's doing better than that in 2006. The try was his third in 12 matches.
There was also plenty of quality in the tries scored by Faumuina and Ropati.
Faumuina's was critical to the Vodafone Warriors' plans, coming just nine minutes into the second half. Halfback Grant Rovelli slipped through a perfectly weighted grubber kick behind the Newcastle defensive line, Faumuina timing his run ideally to collect for a four-pointer which Tony Martin converted to stretch the lead to 20-6.
Only eight minutes later, Ropati took on the Knights' left-hand side, slipping past Andrew Johns' tackle and scorching 40 metres for a superb try.
With his two first half tries, Fien took his tally to three in two games, four for the season.
The win was the Vodafone Warriors' sixth of the season and their third at home. It also followed the home-and-away double completed eearlier in the season against 2005 premiers Wests Tigers.
Match details:

At Ericsson Stadium, Auckland:
VODAFONE WARRIORS 30 (Nathan Fien 2, Sione Faumuina, Jerome Ropati, Steve Price tries; Tony Martin 4 conversions, penalty).
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 18 (Brian Carney, Todd Lowrie, George Carmont tries; Andrew Johns 3 conversions).
Halftime:14-6 Vodafone Warriors.
Referee: Jarred Maxwell.
Crowd: 6240.
 

Jesbass_old

Guest
30-10 with 18 minutes to go? :lol:

Apart from that, and the spelling error (typo?) near the end, it's good to read over and savour the win. :D
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
LOL I actually didn't see that. But even better I get to watch the replay!!!
 

Tyrael_old

Guest
I hope we can actually win the next one, when was the last time the warriors won 3 in a row?

Hope Ah Van doesn't get suspended either
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Tyrael said:
I hope we can actually win the next one, when was the last time the warriors won 3 in a row?

Hope Ah Van doesn't get suspended either

last time Warriors won 3 in a row...2003
I don't think he'd get suspended for a silly sinbin. Yes it was stupid but professional fouls happen. Didn't think it was that bad really
 

Wiki_old

Guest
Tyrael said:
I hope we can actually win the next one, when was the last time the warriors won 3 in a row?

Hope Ah Van doesn't get suspended either

Nah. I actually don't think there was much in it at all.

Look on the bright side ...if he is out, in comes Cooper Vuna ;).
 

MiXmasterreece_old

Guest
Wiki said:
Tyrael said:
I hope we can actually win the next one, when was the last time the warriors won 3 in a row?

Hope Ah Van doesn't get suspended either

Nah. I actually don't think there was much in it at all.

Look on the bright side ...if he is out, in comes Cooper Vuna ;).

Or will it be skinny ????
 

Samoan Souljah_old

Guest
Isnt skinny out for a few more weeks? ... might be wrong but i thought he had a lengthy injury ...
 

warriors4life_old

Guest
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Tyrael said:
I hope we can actually win the next one, when was the last time the warriors won 3 in a row?

Hope Ah Van doesn't get suspended either

last time Warriors won 3 in a row...2003
I don't think he'd get suspended for a silly sinbin. Yes it was stupid but professional fouls happen. Didn't think it was that bad really

Yeah, last time was 2003 when we won three in a row against the Tigers in regular season, Bulldogs in the first week of the finals and Canberra in the second week.
 

Jesbass_old

Guest
warriors4life said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Tyrael said:
I hope we can actually win the next one, when was the last time the warriors won 3 in a row?

Hope Ah Van doesn't get suspended either

last time Warriors won 3 in a row...2003
I don't think he'd get suspended for a silly sinbin. Yes it was stupid but professional fouls happen. Didn't think it was that bad really

Yeah, last time was 2003 when we won three in a row against the Tigers in regular season, Bulldogs in the first week of the finals and Canberra in the second week.

That was actually the back end of a five game winning streak, too. Round 24 to the second week of the finals.
 

sebastian_old

Guest
Jesbass said:
warriors4life said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Tyrael said:
I hope we can actually win the next one, when was the last time the warriors won 3 in a row?

Hope Ah Van doesn't get suspended either

last time Warriors won 3 in a row...2003
I don't think he'd get suspended for a silly sinbin. Yes it was stupid but professional fouls happen. Didn't think it was that bad really

Yeah, last time was 2003 when we won three in a row against the Tigers in regular season, Bulldogs in the first week of the finals and Canberra in the second week.

That was actually the back end of a five game winning streak, too. Round 24 to the second week of the finals.

Oh well 5 wins well just have to do...
 

Jesbass_old

Guest
Well, it's entirely possible, seb. Rabbitohs next week, and a toothless Panthers side the next. The Bulldogs will make it tough, though.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Those Panthers....hmmm...now I don't tend to hold too much angust against many teams...but anyone remember the game against the Panthers in the Blue Mountains?!?! :evil:
 

sebastian_old

Guest
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Those Panthers....hmmm...now I don't tend to hold too much angust against many teams...but anyone remember the game against the Panthers in the Blue Mountains?!?! :evil:

ya mean when they hammered stacey & we got penilised & therefore lost the game.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
sebastian said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Those Panthers....hmmm...now I don't tend to hold too much angust against many teams...but anyone remember the game against the Panthers in the Blue Mountains?!?! :evil:

ya mean when they hammered stacey & we got penilised & therefore lost the game.

Yep that's the one I'm talking about...es after the game..Mr. Lang's word....grrrrr
 

Similar threads

Replies
8
Views
850
warriors_ballboy_CEO_old
Replies
42
Views
2K
Jesbass_old
Replies
1
Views
852
*Kimmy*_old
Replies
10
Views
964
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
17
Views
1K
Skinny_Ravs82

Last Game

08 May

10 - 29
3.9 Total Avg Rating
2.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings