Northern_Union

*WHAT* touch judge are you talking about?

Ropati isn't a 5/8 thats why he has no kicking game.

sebastian_old

I wanted the team win for Awen not for the fans tonight, enough injuries to make Hercules quit football but he plays on, they are the best stats i've ever seen from a forward this season, if hes not in the team of da week, its a felony!! Thanks Awen, have a good life, the warriors will be a worse place without ya!!

sebastian_old

Warriors win for Awen
by: Aaron Lawton
Sportal

The New Zealand Warriors have claimed a nail-biting 12-10 victory over the Cronulla Sharks in a tight affair at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland.

With the match dubbed departing Warriors veteran Awen Gutenbeil's testimonial, the hosts turned on a scintillating second half to consign the Sharks to their sixth straight defeat.

Both sides toiled hard in the early stages of the match and justifiably went to the half-time break with the score locked on 6-6.

However, an emotional second-half performance from the Warriors saw them take the important competition points.

With the Auckland heavens opening wide from the opening siren, handling errors marred the early exchanges.

However, it was the Warriors who broke the deadlock in the sixth minute when wirey halfback Grant Rovelli stepped around the visiting defence to dot down next to the posts.

After a lengthy stagnant period, the Sharks then wrestled back into the contest when halfback Brett Kimmorley barged his way through the wilting Warriors defence in the 18th minute.

Then, with five minutes left in the first half, Sharks wing Darren Albert spilled a chance to take his side ahead when he fumbled a Kimmorley high kick.

This proved to be the last decisive moment in the half as defence prevailed with both sides stranded on 6-6 going into the break.

The first action of the second half came when former Warrior Richard Villasanti attempted to make an intercept in the 48th minute.

Rushing into an offside position, Villasanti failed to secure the ball properly and conceded a crucial penalty in the process.

Seizing the opportunity, Warriors wing Tony Martin slotted over an easy penalty goal to get the hosts ahead 8-6.

However, it was the Sharks who pulled in front in the 58th minute when wing Luke Covell capitalised on an overlap out wide to score, the four-points coming after Warriors wing Manu Vatuvei was penalised for a careless tackle.

With the tension rising by the minute, Warriors second-row Micheal Luck then chose an opportune moment to dot down in front of the posts for his first try for the club in the 68th minute.

After a repeated attack on the Sharks' line, Rovelli sent through a probing kick which sat up nicely for Luck to dive on to get the hosts ahead by two.

This was the final scoring play of the match as the hosts defiantly held on in the dying stages to secure the win.

New Zealand 12
Tries: Rovelli, Luck
Conversions: Martin
Penalties: Martin

Cronulla 10
Tries: Kimmorley, Covell
Penalties: Covell

warriorfaithful*_old

Awesome to be back in the winners circle!! Bring on the cowboys.

GO THE WARRIORS!!!!

Skinny_Ravs82

Well done all around to our boys! :D

Hey, anyone see Manu's careless tackle? Was it bad?

raypower_old

Sinbad said:
Worries for Pricey, marty, Wai and a couple of other niggles. Will have to see if they all come right.

any more news? what happened? I was at a surprise party and missed the delayed telecast. awen sounds like he sure as hell ripped it up.

commonsense_old

warriors4life said:
24 hit-ups for 226 metres
49 tackles
1 offload

One of the best stat lines I've seen all season.

now that's a great way to sign off!!

Skinny_Ravs82

Warrioraholic said:
There was nothing in it, the one on Patrick though was a shocker

Oh yeah, saw that one. (we had delayed coverage) thought Gallen (was it he who hit Paddy?) was a bit lucky.

Sinbad_old

I have just recieved a nice email from Richard Howarth about Awens jersey. Because there has been a large amount of interest in the jersey, they will be sitting down with Puma, and looking at getting a similar one for the 2008 season.
Thats fantastic news.
It may not have any links to Awens, and it shouldnt, but the identity of us as a nation, and the culture, is a huge step in the right direction.
Thumbs up to the Warriors on this bit of information.

More to follow. Compliments of nzwarriorstribe.co.nz

Northern_Union

This is the NRL not a cultural group. I'm not interested until the team starts to deliever finals football regularly until then i'm not interested in a cultural statement.
No offence ment to you Sinbad, you know i think your a good bloke so don't take this as an attack on you!

Sinbad_old

nay mate I wont. Tried to get a copy of the Awen jersey like a few of me mates. It seems that everyone who emailed them caused a dollar sound to go off. Hence they are looking at a money gathering exercise I think.

Anyone who emailed them got the same reply I think.

D Generation X_old

Sinbad said:
nay mate I wont. Tried to get a copy of the Awen jersey like a few of me mates. It seems that everyone who emailed them caused a dollar sound to go off. Hence they are looking at a money gathering exercise I think.

Anyone who emailed them got the same reply I think.
yea i did