sebastian_old

Whats Awens biggest hit in his carreer, is it the Ned Catic hit(roosters player)???

warriors4life_old

sebastian said:
Whats Awens biggest hit in his carreer, is it the Ned Catic hit(roosters player)???

Biggest hit I've seen him make, though he could have done bigger, I didn't see him much in his earlier days.

Jesbass_old

warriors4life said:
sebastian said:

Biggest hit I've seen him make, though he could have done bigger, I didn't see him much in his earlier days.

Nobody did, w4l. The poor guy was dogged with injuries.

The hit on Ned Catic is definitely the biggest hit I've had the pleasure of witnessing Awen make.

warriors4life_old

Jesbass said:
warriors4life said:
sebastian said:

Nobody did, w4l. The poor guy was dogged with injuries.

The hit on Ned Catic is definitely the biggest hit I've had the pleasure of witnessing Awen make.

Yeah, he was pretty injury-ridden earlier in his career, but he has been pretty consistent in the past five or six years. One Warriors big hit that I'll always remember is Meli on Hunt in Round 1, 2004. It was Hunt's debut and was such a colossal hit.

Kaiaua krusher_old

I thought Awen's game last year was a little behind the 8 ball, but I think he has been outstanding and showed great on field leadership.

Tomorrow I have the privilege of attending his testimonial dinner and he deserves all the accolades and tributes that he will no doubt get. 11 years at the Warriors, experiencing management fisacos, a fickle supporter base and performing his share of promotional duties during the tough times is a true testament of his character.

We will miss you Awen and good luck for the future.

Jesbass_old

From the official website of the Vodafone Warriors, www.warriors.co.nz:

Vodafone Warriors stalwart Awen Guttenbeil received a stream of deserved accolades as he had a day in the spotlight at his testimonial lunch at the Ellerslie Convention Centre on Thursday.

Guttenbeil (30) was awarded his testimonial by the Vodafone Warriors as he entered his 11th and what this week became his last season with the club since debuting in 1996.

As recently as Tuesday, he had announced he would be leaving the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the 2006 NRL season to take up a two-year contract with the Castleford Tigers in the English Super League.
He joins long-time friend and fellow Vodafone Warriors great Stacey Jones as the only players who have been awarded testimonials.

A gathering of about 700 assembled to pay tribute to an outstanding professional and club man.

Vodafone Warriors football manager Don Mann paid tribute to Guttenbeil with a speech that touched on football, family, friends and other themes.
Mann's address was complemented visually by a graphically enhanced image of what could be called Team Guttenbeil. Done in the form of a traditional team photo, it is a collection of images of Guttenbeil from various team photos during his career. He is pictured in jerseys from the Portland and West End clubs in Northland as well as those from Point Chevalier, Auckland, the Kiwis and various Vodafone Warriors strips.

team_guttenbeil_1a.jpg

Mann also unveiled a near life-sized action photo of Guttenbeil which will be displayed prominently in the club's gym as a lasting memory of one of its greatest players. Emblazoned on it is a saying by which Guttenbeil plays his football: "The challenge isn't on the field, it's in your head".

guttenbeil_poster_1a.jpg

In a touching moment, Mann presented a photo to Awen's father Wally, one Wally had never seen before. It shows several men in a prisoner of war camp on Somes Island off Wellington during the Second World War. In the centre of the photo is Herman Guttenbeil, Wally's great grandfather.

In his address, former Vodafone Warriors coach Mark Graham marvelled at Guttenbeil's ability to overcome horrendous injuries to prove himself at the highest levels and to stand out as the epitome of the true professional.

And Guttenbeil enlightened the audience about various aspects of his life and career in a long interview with television presenter Neil Waka.
Video tributes included one from All Black coach Graham Henry, Guttenbeil's principal when he was at Kelston Boys' High School. There were also tributes from Stacey Jones as well as ex-Vodafone Warriors team-mate and fellow Kiwi Stephen Kearney plus Australian legend Andrew Johns. Singer Hinewehi Mohi performed as did comedian Mike King.

Another highlight was the unveiling of a stunning one-off Vodafone Warriors jersey produced by Puma for Guttenbeil's testimonial match against Cronulla at Mt Smart Stadium on August 5. Only a limited number have been manufactured with none available for retail outlets. The design features the work of renowned moko artist Inia III of Moko Ink.

testimonial_1b.jpg

Skinny_Ravs82

Jesbass said:
I love that Team Guttenbeil photo - brilliant, lol! :D

lol yeah that was great! But I think my faovirte part after reading that; was the presentation they gave to his dad. Gold!

warriors4life_old

Yeah, that team photo is weird, hard to tell it's all the same person at times.

raypower_old

That team photo is ace. He looks almost logan swannesque in some photos tho...maybe it's just me and the lack of sleep....

Notts Tiger_old

As a Cas Tigers fan over here in the UK I can't wait to see him play. I've always watch the Warriors on the TV and have been very impressed. Can't believe that the Tigers have signed him up and I think it's a great gain for the club. It is unfortunately a big loss for yourselves.
All the best for the rest of the season and 2007.
Come on you Warriors!!!

warriors4life_old

Notts Tiger said:
As a Cas Tigers fan over here in the UK I can't wait to see him play. I've always watch the Warriors on the TV and have been very impressed. Can't believe that the Tigers have signed him up and I think it's a great gain for the club. It is unfortunately a big loss for yourselves.
Come on you Warriors!!!

Welcome to the forum Notts Tiger.

Jesbass_old

Notts Tiger said:
Come on you Warriors!!!

Cheers for the support, Notts Tiger. :)

warriors4life_old

one-eyed-warrior said:
LOVE!! that jersey they have made for his testimonial, I want one!!!!

It will be hard to get one, as only 30 are being released and you had to do a silent bid auction at his testimonial.

Sinbad_old

God what a machine. 80 minutes over 50 tackles and 15 hitups. A great way to go for your testimonial.

And no nudie run for Mike Luck either, I thought that he stood up tonight , in fact they all did. Didn't miss Ruben at all, Now that is a good thing. Means we are not reliant on just one person.

Worries for Pricey, marty, Wai and a couple of other niggles. Will have to see if they all come right.

Thanks Awen you are a superman and you and your wife will be missed next year.

Go with everyones good wishes.

warriors4life_old

24 hit-ups for 226 metres
49 tackles
1 offload

One of the best stat lines I've seen all season.

blez_old

good win boys

A couple of thoughts and musings...

Does Jerome Ropati have the lightest boot in the NRL in terms of field kicking?

Was Peter Ropati actually being a non-biased commentator today?

Awen Guttenbeil is just a GAMER.

Brent Webb proved why he is one of the best fullbacks in the game, given the conditions he was superb.

Grant Rovelli looks legit.

Tony Martin's only good asset (goalkicking) let him down today with that horrendous miss. (Could've been crucial)

And finally, did anyone else also forget *THAT* touchjudge turned up tonight?