Jesbass_old

How To Make Your Very Own Awen Guttenbeil:

1. Take a league player, preferably a second rower.
2. Give him an afro.
3. Tell him to shave his face.
4. Without adjusting his vital facial features, (mouth, nose, eyes, ears), turn his head upside down so that his shaved skin is now atop his head, and the afro is resting on his jaw.

See? Easy!

Here's one I prepared earlier: https://www.tv3.co.nz/News/.SportsN...tabid/415/articleID/51070/cat/70/Default.aspx (Click on the video link.)

Buck777_old

Guttenbeil: Reviews and previews the Warriors

One round down and let’s hope lessons learned.

Although the result didn’t go the way Bluey and his boys wanted, there were signs they have the makings of a competitive side.

I always find the first week, or for that matter the first month, of the competition a bit of a false indicator on how a side might fear come September. Players are still finding their rhythm and coaches honing their selection options and tactics.

You’d expect the sides that have the least change in the off season to start better than the rest and ones with new coaches and structures to take a little longer to hit their straps.

On Sunday I thought this was exactly what happened to the Warriors when they took on Manly. I thought the pressure of playing in front of a massive home crowd on a perfect day might have been a bit much for the Warriors who made some poor decisions with the footy and coughed the ball up too easily.

I could see players still coming to terms with what their roles are within the side and what the expectations are from their new coach.

I thought McClennan opting for Ben Henry starting in the centers was a big ask and felt for him when Steve Matai out paced him to score. Henry to me is a backrower and I wish the Warriors would stop selecting backrowers in single number jumpers.

Konrad Hurrell showed that he will be a handful for any side to contain with his sound defensive decisions game high of 154 meters. Lets hope he gets a start this week.

One area Bluey could look to improve is his interchange bench. Not using Lewis Brown and Akuma Ta’ai until the last 25 minutes seemed strange given the impact they had when they were injected into the game.

The Warriors’ bench rotation was one of their strengths last season and I’m sure it will be again this year.

Shaun Johnson showed that he is the real deal and - injury free - could be one of the games greats. In all, the home side showed a lot of character to come back from 16 points down to have a chance of winning the match.

I’m sure the more this side plays together the better they’ll get.

They will face another stiff test on Monday night against a Parramatta side that will be hungry for their first win of the season after falling to the Brisbane Broncos last week.

Stephen Kearney’s Eels will look to dominate up front and keep the Warriors in their half of the field. They will try to put the visitors under pressure and capitalize on any errors.

The Eels’ new halves Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts will get better by the game and will target the edges hoping to get at Hurrell or Inu in defense.

The Warriors will know to win this they will need to eliminate poor decisions and errors. They will want to start the game better which means completing their sets with the footy and restricting any meters the Eels make.

Three of the Parramatta forwards ran for over 100 metres compared to one of the Warrior’s pack men so the boys in the middle will need to front up for the NZ based side.

I’m sure Krisnan Inu will be keen for a big game playing his old club for the first time since leaving at the end of 2010. He has a massive opportunity to cement a starting spot in the absence of an injured Jerome Ropati.

The kicking game of Johnson and James Maloney will play a big part in the outcome of this one. If they can find space with the boot they will play the game on the front foot and keep the big forwards of Parra turning to bring the ball back which will make finding meters more difficult for them.

Look for Manu Vatuvei to have another big game and for him to pay more attention when getting up to play the ball.

Verdict:
The Warriors will get their first win of the season if the game is close at the 20 minute mark. If they are trailing they will need to play disciplined and get into an arm wrestle as they have a more dynamic side that is capable of scoring points on the back of a great defensive effort.

If they try too hard it could be their undoing.

Lets take a look at the rest of the round.

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/opinions/show/3145798/have-the-warriors-learned-their-lessons/

arcane_old

Nice neutral preview there thanks Awen, too afraid too say the boys will lose this one?

Understandable though given his ties to the team.

"I could see players still coming to terms with what their roles are within the side and what the expectations are from their new coach."

Friend is the only one (Benry also but thats another story) I noticed that was like a possum in headlights, but time will see him come right.

Awen is just stating the obvious really.

Buck777_old

Interesting comment that the warriors (bluey) should stop selecting backrowers in single number jerseys

surfin_old

Looks like Awen is thinking along the same way as most of the posters here, especially in regards to Benry, but at least he's not holding Benry reponsible for being picked out of position.

Vodafone Warriors

True Warriors are Devoted - Awen Guttenbeil Loyalty, Devotion, Commitment. These are the values of a True Warrior. Are you a True Warrior? 2013 Membership on sale midday Friday 19 October

Continue reading...

Vodafone Warriors

Vodafone Warriors legend Awen Guttenbeil (pictured) is giving rugby league a presence for the first time in an annual campaign promoting the Break the Silence End the Violence message in the Pacific. Photo: Photosport.

Continue reading...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Guttenbeil completes Tigers move
Awen Guttenbeil

Guttenbeil is thought to have agreed to join Widnes had they been promoted
New Zealand forward Awen Guttenbeil has decided to go ahead with his move to Castleford, despite their recent relegation from the Super League.
The 30-year-old second rower's switch looked to have collapsed when the Tigers lost their battle for survival.
However, the club have confirmed he will honour his two-year contract.
Guttenbeil will combine a playing role with coaching and he said: "I have a couple of years in me but this gives me a chance to dip my toe into coaching."
The Kiwi, who is currently with the New Zealand squad competing in the Tri Nations series, added: "I wanted to play Super League or in the Australia NRL, but there's a chance to get this team back to the Super League.

o.gif

"I was holding out to go to England."
Guttenbeil had 11 seasons at the New Zealand Warriors and his appearance total of 170 is second only to that of Stacey Jones.
Castleford spokesman David Smart said: "The deal was completed over the weekend and the paperwork was faxed over on Monday morning.
"We are delighted that an established Test player has agreed to join the club."
Guttenbeil will be assisting head coach Terry Matterson, who has also decided to stay with the club.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

Guttenbeil predicts collision as Tongans take on Kiwis​

16/10/2008

Veteran Awen Guttenbeil has predicted there'll be "a bit of collision" when Tonga take on New Zealand in a pre-World Cup test in Auckland on Saturday.

While the match is a build-up to the main event beginning in Australia the following weekend, Guttenbeil said today that the Tongans would not lack for intensity.

"I don't think the boys know any other way," he said.

"We do have our eye on the World Cup, but it's always an honour to meet one of rugby league's power house nations. The boys will be playing like this is a World Cup fixture."

Tongan coach Jim Dymock has named a side with plenty of first-grade experience, with all of the starting 13 having played in the National Rugby League.

Three are former Kiwis in lock Guttenbeil, hooker Tevita Leo-Latu and second rower Epalahame Lauaki.

A fourth forward, prop Antonio Kaufusi, has represented Australia and played State of Origin for Queensland.

"If you go on involvement in the NRL, you would have to say that is one of the more experienced sides that Tonga have put together," Guttenbeil said.

"Having said that, we've been in camp for only four days and it always takes time to develop and gel."

A former Warrior like Leo-Latu and winger Cooper Vuna, Guttenbeil represented Tonga at the 1995 World Cup, when he lined up against New Zealand.

He went on to play 10 tests for the Kiwis between 2002 and 2006, but ruled out any mixed loyalties at Mt Smart Stadium.

"I'm wearing the Tongan colours and I'm really proud to be playing as a Tongan," he said.

"I've played with a lot of the guys in the Kiwi side and that adds something extra. There's going to be no holds barred."

Guttenbeil was philosophical over player unavailability after the Tongan World Cup squad was named.

Former Kiwis Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tauaki were ruled out because they had played for another country, New Zealand, in the past two years.

Another ex-Kiwi, Louis Anderson, and brother Fraser are sidelined with injury.

"They would have strengthened us, but we still have a healthy squad," Guttenbeil said.

"We just have to get on with things. We can't look at what-ifs, could-haves, should-haves. We have our squad together now and we're preparing for the World Cup."

Guttenbeil, 32, had 10 seasons with the Warriors before spending the past two years with Castleford in the English Super League.

He has retired from club football and said the World Cup would be his rugby league swansong.

"I'd love to play on, but the body says otherwise and you have to be smart," he said.

"I like to think I've chosen a good time to go out, still playing well and being competitive."

He was still looking at his options for the future, but hoped to remain involved in the game in some way.

Tonga are grouped with Ireland and Samoa in one of the two second-tier pools in the World Cup.

They begin their campaign with a match against Ireland at Parramatta Stadium in Sydney on October 27.

The winners of the two second-tier pools play off for a place in the tournament's semi-finals.

Tonga: Fetuli Talanoa, Cooper Vuna, Michael Jennings, Andrew Emilio, Tony Williams, Feleti Mateo, Eddia Paea, Lopini Paea (captain), Tevita Leo-Latu, Antonio Kaufuai, Richard Fa'aoso, Epalahame Lauaki, Awen Guttenbeil.
Interchange (two to be omitted) - Willie Manu, Sam Moa, Manase Manuokafoa, Micky Paea, Esikeli Tonga, Joel Taufa'ao.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

Small Business: From the sports field to the board table - Awen Guttenbeil​

NZ Herald
Former professional rugby league player and owner of WHO Tours Awen Guttenbeil, pictured with his wife Natasha Guttenbeil.

Former professional rugby league player and owner of WHO Tours Awen Guttenbeil, pictured with his wife Natasha Guttenbeil.

This week, Small Business editor Caitlin Sykes talks to athletes turned business owners.
Awen Guttenbeil is a former professional rugby league player who owns travel company WHO Tours.

When and why did you start WHO Tours?

Once I retired from playing rugby league I was hosting tours for travel groups with Williment Sports Travel and Air New Zealand, so it was a natural progression for me to start doing it on my own. The real catalyst came in September last year when I took a group to a boxing event in the States and I wasn't using Air New Zealand, so I had to come up with my own branding and presence. I'd been thinking about doing it for about a year, so it was the push I needed to go out on my own.

Had you had other businesses before?

We had a couple when I was playing. We had a painting franchise many years ago, which was an opportunity that was presented to a lot of us guys in the Warriors. It was really more suited to an owner operator though, and we didn't have the time at that point to do it ourselves, so there were some good lessons learnt around employment and business structure.

Then later we had a telemarketing business. We acquired the business from a relative of ours, but once he stepped away from it, it made things difficult. In my early twenties telemarketing was the last thing I was thinking about doing, so that taught me if I didn't have a real connection to a business it was never really going to work.

Your business runs tours to sporting events, so there's a connection there to your background, but are there other experiences or skills from your days as an athlete that you've been able to apply there?

On a practical level, when I played for the Warriors I was always the guy who'd plan our team trips away at the end of the season. I would look at the different dynamics in the group and try to give everyone a great experience, while still catering to everyone's different needs. I naturally love organising things and giving people a great experience, and I try to live by the mantra that the journey is just as important as the destination.

The downside is all the logistics that go on behind the scenes, and I'm not an office-type person so that's a real challenge for me. But from when I was playing I learnt that you play to your strengths and rely on your team mates, so I partner up with others to provide the best service I can.

I left school at 17 to live in Australia for two years, then came back to the Warriors for 11, then went to England for two so I spent 15 years as a professional rugby league player. You pick up a lot of skills, but you don't always realise what they are at the time. I have friends who have really struggled when they retired, because they didn't have any formal higher education so didn't know what direction to go in. But there are certainly a lot of useful skills you learn that people probably underestimate, like being able to connect with the right people to make things happen, being an ambassador for a brand, and working in a team environment.

Also the fear of failure isn't as scary for me because I've failed many times in front of thousands of people on the sports field and I've learnt you have to pick yourself up and keep going.

You've built a personal brand as a sportsperson. Is that something you've also been able to leverage in your business?

I've intentionally not branded my business in relation to myself, but I am going to change that and put myself out there more. Initially I thought it was more of a challenge for me to make something work without saying I'm the face of the company, but I've realised now there are a lot of benefits that come with using your brand as a former athlete. And the events that I do are all around sports, so it does makes sense.

You also have other work commitments as a TV sports presenter and commentator. How do you balance that with running your own business?

For me structure is really important. I look back to when I was an athlete and had things to do each day to get a result, and it's very similar now. I also have a wife and two children who I love to give a lot of time to, so I have to really focus on the goal I'm working on at the time, but when I switch to something else I need to do so with the same focus and commitment.

I get asked all the time if I miss playing professional rugby league, and I can honestly say on the whole I don't. But the one thing I do miss is the challenge it used to provide each week, so now I try to find that challenge in other ways.

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
33. AWEN GUTTENBEIL
Last update

Awen is running his own business called Passive Fire NZ. Heres a breakdown of what they do from their website.

Passive Fire NZ was founded to bring the industry a new level of transparency and certainty. We pride ourselves on introducing leading edge technology and the superior quality and standards we feel the industry deserves.

After witnessing a host of non-compliant solutions and applications in the construction industry, Passive Fire NZ decided it was time for New Zealand to start to lead the way with our passive fire standards.

Doing so greatly reduces the risk of lives lost and property damage in commercial buildings and structures. A cause which drives the Passive Fire NZ team to do the job once and do it right. Our team is committed to install your PFP requirements to a standard and quality that we would be comfortable to work and live in ourselves.

Passive Fire NZ is an industry leader in Health and Safety standards, being both Site Wise Green Accredited and Safe365 compliant.

We have a full time Health & Safety representative, and pride ourselves on not only keeping the buildings we work on safe, but our team, and all those we work with.

Screenshot 2022 10 30 85907 PM

Screenshot 2022 10 30 104144 PM Screenshot 2022 10 30 104111 PM

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

Legendary teammates reunited as club ambassadors

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 3 Mar 2022, 08:59 AM

Screenshot 2022 10 30 105649 PM

Vodafone Warriors legends Monty Betham, Kevin Campion and Awen Guttenbeil have been reunited with the club as ambassadors.

In announcing the appointments Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George said the three former teammates epitomise what the club stands for.
“We’re thrilled to have them back in the fold giving us wonderful ambassadors who will be able to represent the club both in Australia and New Zealand,” he said.

“Both during and after their careers all three have had an exceptional passion and love for the club.

“They’re terrific men who will promote the Vodafone Warriors in a variety of ways. They’ll make appearances on game days, at club and membership events and will also be involved with our sponsors and in the community.”

One such event was last week’s Magic Round launch when Campion represented the Vodafone Warriors alongside former players from the other 15 clubs.

Betham (43), Campion (50) and Guttenbeil (45) were exceptional performers among a host of stars in the Vodafone Warriors’ golden era in the early 2000s.

Originally appointed captain in 2002, renowned hard man Betham was side-lined for all but the team’s first two matches that season, denying him the chance to appear in the club’s first grand final appearance. He came back in 2003 to lead the Vodafone Warriors to within one win of making it back-to-back grand finals and went on to play 101 times for the club from 1999-2005.

Campion, respected as one of the game’s hardest players, was at Mount Smart Stadium for just two years and 44 games in 2001 and 2002 but he had an enormous impact. Finishing his 241-game career with North Queensland, he has the singular distinction of appearing in four grand finals for three different clubs, losing with St George in 1996, winning with Brisbane in 1998 and 2000 and tasting defeat with the Vodafone Warriors in his final game for the club in 2002.

Guttenbeil, another exceptionally tough player, overcame extreme adversity early in his career to finish with 170 appearances for the club from 1996-2006. He played in each of the Vodafone Warriors’ first seven finals matches in 2001, 2002 and 2003 when they not only made the 2002 grand final but also went close to a repeat appearance the following year.

Reactions: bruce