Swanley_old

That will be great news if it happens. We should be looking at Local talent for our development and fringe players.

DANNY BROUGH

Jesbass said:

(Cas Tigers fan here.)

A lot of the SL clubs over here in the UK are making a bee-line for Awen. Wont be long before hes snapped up.

warriorfaithful*_old

DANNY BROUGH said:
Jesbass said:

(Cas Tigers fan here.)

A lot of the SL clubs over here in the UK are making a bee-line for Awen. Wont be long before hes snapped up.
Yeah, some team in the ESL is going to sign him.

Jesbass_old

DANNY BROUGH said:
Jesbass said:

(Cas Tigers fan here.)

That wouldn't surprise me, Danny. And welcome to the forum. :)

Where on earth, though, did I ever say what I've been quoted above as saying? :lol:

warriors4life_old

From www.stuff.co.nz

By NEIL REID

Recalled Kiwis star Awen Guttenbeil hopes to confirm his playing future this week.

Guttenbeil's lucrative deal with Castleford is officially dead following Whitehaven's loss in the English National League's playoffs.

A possible Whitehaven league win would have staved off Castleford's drop from the top-flight as the club's ground is not up to Super League standards.

Guttenbeil - recalled to the Kiwis on Wednesday - is understood to be considering several Super League and NRL offers.

"We will wait until after the weekend to see who gets promoted," Guttenbeil told Sunday News. "There are a few scenarios that could pan out either way.

"There is another week of waiting before we can make firm plans on whether we will be in the UK or whether we explore a couple of options in the NRL. But there are a few scenarios which could work for us."

Guttenbeil wouldn't name which clubs had shown an interest.

But Sunday News understands they include UK clubs Wakefield and National League favourites Hull KR.

It's understood two NRL clubs have also shown an interest in signing Guttenbeil, including 2005 premiers Wests Tigers.

Guttenbeil has played 10 tests for the Kiwis since making his debut in 2002.

He was one of the Warriors most outstanding players in the 2006 NRL -his 11th and final season with the club.

National coach Brian McClennan praised the 30-year-old second rower, saying he was in better form than when he made the Kiwis' 2005 Tri-series squad.

A jubilant Guttenbeil said: "It's nice to have people speak of you in those ways. I have been enjoying my football a lot more than I was last year.

"My selection was unexpected."

EnterFien_old

From what i hear Awen will be with Widnes if they beat Hull KR and get promoted otherwise he will be heading to the Titans or the Tigers

warriorfaithful*_old

EnterFien said:
From what i hear Awen will be with Widnes if they beat Hull KR and get promoted otherwise he will be heading to the Titans or the Tigers
Hmmm i wonder which club he will be at next year! :) Its been a roller-coaster ride for him to find a club so far.

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~*_old

warriorfaithful* said:
EnterFien said:
Hmmm i wonder which club he will be at next year! :) Its been a roller-coaster ride for him to find a club so far.
haha yeh,if he already flew to england then it would b kinda annoying for his family to move from england to aus, and itd b more annoying if u didnt even no wat club u were gonna play for next season, but i really hope he stays in the nrl, he belongs here :)

Jesbass_old

From www.nzherald.co.nz:

Awen Guttenbeil will end up at Castleford after all after signing a two-year deal as player-assistant coach, ending a long-running contract saga.

The 30-year-old, who is in the Kiwis Tri Nations squad, had originally signed with the club to play in the Super League but that contract was void when they were relegated. He then agreed to join Widnes if they went back up - but they lost the promotion game to Hull KR.

Having left the Warriors at the end of the NRL season, he signed up yesterday with Castleford even though they will play in division one next season.

Guttenbeil will work alongside coach and former Brisbane Broncos forward Terry Matterson, and said: "It's a good opportunity. Coaching is something that certainly interests me and this will give me a chance to dip my toes into it while I'm still playing.

"I still feel I have a couple of years left in me and, as a lot of former team-mates say, you're a long time retired.

"I wanted to play Super League or NRL but there's a chance to get the team back to the Super League. I was holding out to go to England and had a pretty good offer from an NRL club, but I didn't want to play against the Warriors."

Guttenbeil had 11 seasons with the Warriors. He played 170 games - second only to Stacey Jones's 238.

warriors4life_old

He's probably glad to see his future sorted out, would have liked to seen him in the NRL even if he was playing against us.

DANNY BROUGH

Ecstatic with that news. I just hope a few more players sign on for us Tigers next year to get us back where we belong...SL.
:D

G_Rovelli

Jesbass said:
"... but I didn't want to play against the Warriors."

How nice of him. :mrgreen: But yeah as warriors4life said, glad to see his future sorted now so all the best to Awen.