General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Just doing some research.

I understand the proposed site of any waterfront stadium is Maori leasehold land located around spark arena. Attached is a plan showing that this is all reclaimed land.

83063574-D53B-4368-93C1-FB92CEA33A44.jpeg
Does anyone have any info on when this was reclaimed and when it became leasehold?

Reactions: bruce

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Rawa purchased the land in 1996.

Reactions: bruce

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

I understand the proposed site of any waterfront stadium is Maori leasehold land located around spark arena. Attached is a plan showing that this is all reclaimed land.

View attachment 43714
Does anyone have any info on when this was reclaimed and when it became leasehold?
Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Rawa purchased the land in 1996.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ

View attachment 43714
Is this for the Wizard Rage Superdome?
Or simply 'The Cauldron'

Reactions: john nick

Geoffpublic

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
While a new stadium is some years away, now Western Springs and Waikaraka Park have the same promoter conditions exist for cricket to move. The main problem being who will pay the 100 million for a Western Springs cricket upgrade.
My concern is not whether the National Stadium is at Eden Park or in the city,. Can the Warriors afford to be there.
The Warriors said they cannot afford the current Eden Park. Any new stadium would most likely be built with private money. They would want a return on investment.
If Eden Park was chosen, Union, through its influence on the Eden Park Trust Board could negotiate a very different deal for themselves.
Downtown on the leasehold old Railway land. A lease is 5% of land value. It all ups the cost.
I would hate to have a situation where Auckland is too expensive for the Warriors.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce and snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
While a new stadium is some years away, now Western Springs and Waikaraka Park have the same promoter conditions exist for cricket to move. The main problem being who will pay the 100 million for a Western Springs cricket upgrade.
My concern is not whether the National Stadium is at Eden Park or in the city,. Can the Warriors afford to be there.
The Warriors said they cannot afford the current Eden Park. Any new stadium would most likely be built with private money. They would want a return on investment.
If Eden Park was chosen, Union, through its influence on the Eden Park Trust Board could negotiate a very different deal for themselves.
Downtown on the leasehold old Railway land. A lease is 5% of land value. It all ups the cost.
I would hate to have a situation where Auckland is too expensive for the Warriors.
This is what I have been saying when people out in every day life bring up the Warriors moving and hell they are being awkward. Besides issues with the stadium itself a lot of the economics itself do not add up for the club.

They had to increase their average attendance to break even as it would cost them more to rent out and the rest of the costs of running a larger venue. Remember the Warriors moving to Eden Park would of brought the Eden Park Trust Board a regular tenant with a decent sized fan base. At the time they were probably drawing a average crowd than the Blues.

They were going to lose a million dollars worth of corporate box revenue.

Compare this to the deals the Sydney clubs get to play at the Olympic Stadium where they get financial incentives to play there. I'd bet if the Warriors said they wanted to play at an Australian based stadium say the new Eels ground they would get a better deal than they are for Eden Park. Australia and New Zealand do have different ideas on things like this. A good example is the cinema business that was struggling in the mid 2000's due to lack of attendance, people waiting for DVDs or downloading. I was in Australia and a friend took me out and the prices were dropped to get people back to the cinemas. Get home again and the prices get increased, then there are more articles about how they need to lift prices to cover the costs of the people not turning up.

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings