General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

kavafred

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2013
Because apart from the SFS the other were white elephants they had to find an excuse to use:

1974 Commonwealth Games QEII
1990 Commonwealth Games - Mount Smart
2000 Olympic Games Olympic Stadium Sydney
2011 RWC - Eden Park

It took 30 years to pay off the Montreal Olympic Stadium, another white elephant.

The exception was North Harbour Stadium, which was built for no reason except the North Harbour Rugby Union needed a home. They were using the grounds of the Takapuna Rugby Club before then.

It was controversial, the ratepayers were dead agaisnt it. It is a shocking design, in a terrible place, but at least you can see the game from all round the ground.

Now I ask you, does Sir Ron Scott, Dame Cath Tizard, Paul Titchener or Helen Clark have to face the music for the debt they have loaded on ratepayers?

Seriously, the government needs to step in here and stop these fuckwits wasting ratepayers money.

What was that Bruce? Helen Clark was the Prime Minister who over ruled the Mayor John Banks on Eden Park. He didn't want a bar of it.
You can't expect this current government to step in to do anything to stop it. People are still waiting on them to start on the promises from the 2017 lies.

Reactions: bruce

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
The exception was North Harbour Stadium, which was built for no reason except the North Harbour Rugby Union needed a home. They were using the grounds of the Takapuna Rugby Club before then.
It was built because North Shore needed a stadium. This being before the Super City merge when 4 Auckland councils were trying to keep up with each other...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
What was that Bruce? Helen Clark was the Prime Minister who over ruled the Mayor John Banks on Eden Park. He didn't want a bar of it.
Helen Clark offered to pay for a Waterfront Stadium. John Banks couldn't have got it done in time so Eden Park was the only viable option. Dont let your political bias try rewrite history...

Geoffpublic

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
[/QUOTE]

bruce bruce is on the money here. NPC was bigger. The battle of the bridge was a big game when Waltza Little, Bunce, Jones etc were playing. Onewa Domain couldn't cope. North Harbour was such a new union and they had exploded onto the scene.

A group of people got together and talked a bank into some cash. It was touted for union cricket football. I was surprised, the main players didn't appear to have the skills to make a stadium work. I'm not sure anyone could have. So it went belly up and the council took it over.
Union still got the stadium they wanted and life carried on.

Last edited:

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

bruce bruce is on the money here. NPC was bigger. The battle of the bridge was a big game when Waltza Little, Bunce, Jones etc were playing. Onewa Domain couldn't cope. North Harbour was such a new union and they had exploded onto the scene.

A group of people got together and talked a bank into some cash. It was touted for union cricket football. I was surprised, the main players didn't appear to have the skills to make a stadium work. I'm not sure anyone could have. So it went belly up and the council took it over.
[/QUOTE]

Bit more to it, North Harbour when created had an administration that got things done and created a good scene people wanted to invest in. In Union it was rated the favourite venue for NPC teams.

That administration was overthrown by (I am told) by a bunch of numpties who stuffed the whole place. Within a short time it was rated the worst place by NPC teams

It actually has some parallels with the Warriors.

Arfur

Warriors Bench Player
May 23, 2012

Bit more to it, North Harbour when created had an administration that got things done and created a good scene people wanted to invest in. In Union it was rated the favourite venue for NPC teams.

That administration was overthrown by (I am told) by a bunch of numpties who stuffed the whole place. Within a short time it was rated the worst place by NPC teams

It actually has some parallels with the Warriors.
[/QUOTE]
There was a time when it's 'playing surface' was virtually unplayable!
Ironically, as a spectator stadium, it's actually quite good. Just in the wrong place. Unless you live on the Shore. Then it's perfect.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
cant believe all these years later, its exactly the same arguments again.

council throws money at eden park
residents complain
council upgrades surrounding transport infrastructure
which creates bottlenecks and people complain
Council wants to stop paying for other stadiums, so they can put money into a privately funded business that they will never see back, as well as kick out the current owners (cricket).
Neither cricket nor rugby auckland (the actual owners) are interested in either using the venue or paying for alterations. But both are unwilling to let it go due to 'history'.
The debit owing on eden park would have paid for a waterfront stadium by now.

Has anyone else seen the switch with NSW government canning the idea of mega stadiums and refocusing on boutique ones instead? I cant help but think that smaller stadiums with full crowds just feel better, even on TV. Why build a stadium that can only be used at capacity once a year?
I agree Grevus, once a year we need a 50000 seat stadium for a AB’s test, every other weekend is a 25000 maximum. This size stadium could host a Warriors / Blues/ NPC game from March - Nov and then alternative entertainment through summer.

Reactions: Rizzah and bruce

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I agree Grevus, once a year we need a 50000 seat stadium for a AB’s test, every other weekend is a 25000 maximum. This size stadium could host a Warriors / Blues/ NPC game from March - Nov and then alternative entertainment through summer.
im no expert on what is happening in NSW but i think thats the core of their boutique stadiums policy

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Helen Clark offered to pay for a Waterfront Stadium.
Bullshit. That was never a runner, ever.
Just in the wrong place. Unless you live on the Shore. Then it's perfect.
The Shore has the worst traffic in the areas of West and Central Auckland. I don't go south or east much. Albany is the worst designed suburb one could think of, and the stadium matches it.

Reactions: Woofa

Woofa

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 25, 2013
Auckland
Bullshit. That was never a runner, ever.

The Shore has the worst traffic in the areas of West and Central Auckland. I don't go south or east much. Albany is the worst designed suburb one could think of, and the stadium matches it.

Ol China Town.. yep I work there.. just shocking planning.. combined with fresh Asians that have never been faster than 20 km/ hr in a car being thrust on the roads.. she is a cluster! Working from home more and more ;-)

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Why don't the ARL use the money from Carlaw Park to buy Mt Smart?
They could still lease it to the Warriors to get some income and it would secure the future of RL in Auckland.
There was a complete cluster-- Carlaw Park should have been upgraded & made the downtown Stadium.Rail lines direct into ground .Parking at Stanley Street tennis courts & in the Domain (only a short walk).Ferries into Mechanics Bay (short walk).Industrial area (mainly).Easy walk to the city & bars & restaurants in Parnell.Too late now but what could have been

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Why don't the ARL use the money from Carlaw Park to buy Mt Smart?
They could still lease it to the Warriors to get some income and it would secure the future of RL in Auckland.
One very good reason. According to the Auckland Council GIS website, Mt Smart has a value of almost $95 mil. When the discussions about the ARL and CPHT buying the club were going about, the CPHT assets (including their land and buildings) were just over $25 mil. They didn't have the funds.

There's also the fact that the Mt Smart Regional Park actually has an act of parliament all for it's self. That act would need to be changed as it doesn't allow for public ownership of the park. The act was amended to allow for the transfer of the park from the old ARC to Auckland Council. For the trainspotters amongst us, here's the link to it:

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
One very good reason. According to the Auckland Council GIS website, Mt Smart has a value of almost $95 mil. When the discussions about the ARL and CPHT buying the club were going about, the CPHT assets (including their land and buildings) were just over $25 mil. They didn't have the funds.

There's also the fact that the Mt Smart Regional Park actually has an act of parliament all for it's self. That act would need to be changed as it doesn't allow for public ownership of the park. The act was amended to allow for the transfer of the park from the old ARC to Auckland Council. For the trainspotters amongst us, here's the link to it:

Years ago Carlaw Park was used as a market garden & then the ARL & CPHT developed it as a retirement village.(as I understand).Is that correct Bruce?

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Years ago Carlaw Park was used as a market garden & then the ARL & CPHT developed it as a retirement village.(as I understand).Is that correct Bruce?
It’s been developed into car parking and student accommodation.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Cheers Miket12.Was sure it was a market garden at one stage but I was in OZ then
At one stage, it was a Chinese pottery store, then it was a flour mill, then market gardens until the park was developed. The first game was played in 1921. Sorry bud, but I don’t think you that old ;)

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
At one stage, it was a Chinese pottery store, then it was a flour mill, then market gardens until the park was developed. The first game was played in 1921. Sorry bud, but I don’t think you that old ;)
No worries old mate.No I played there in the 60s & 70s.I was meaning about what was done when they stopped playing league there.:p

Reactions: Miket12

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings