General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Not sure what essential maintenance they didn't do to pay for their screen upgrades and I get the park needs to be up to a specific standard for the 2023 FIFA tournament. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are back for more money soon for their maintenance.

There was also an article this week about the money have have lost this year due to covid. That is understandable with no games being played for a large portion of the year. How much were they going to lose anyway?

Can see the proposal for the Warriors to move there come up again when things return to normal. Get more games there to make it viable.

Also thought I saw an article proposing the council taking over the ownership.

Surprised the stadium hasn't been thrown out as an election promise. Hey you know they won't keep them but it will get people talking.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Helen Clark and Cath Tizard would have been better spending money on infrastructure than wasting it on white elephant stadiums.

I see the bright spark in charge of the NZTA says the western ring was designed to take the excess away from the harbour bridge.

Sounds a good idea for the press but obvious nobody at the briefing has been to the Albany Highway intersection. When the schools and University are open that off ramp is almost at a standstill now, and then the roads south to the Wairau Valley are little better.

I can see a gridlock coming tomorrow morning.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Here we go again.... a new boss running Auckland Facilities and he seems to favour getting rid of both Mt Smart and North Harbour Stadiums in favour of Eden Park. Get out the pitch forks guys and girls!!!

Auckland Unlimited boss casts doubt on future of Mt Smart and North Harbour stadiums

The future of Mt Smart Stadium and North Harbour stadiums is up in the air with the boss of Auckland Council's new sporting and economic agency saying the city only needs one rectangular football stadium.

Auckland Unlimited chief executive-elect Nick Hill said solving the long-running stadium strategy will probably involve going to some "uncomfortable places".

Hill talked about the city's unresolved stadium strategy in an interview with the Herald on the creation of Auckland Unlimited, the result of a merger of Ateed and Regional Facilities Auckland.

The Ateed boss, being paid $506,000 when Auckland Unlimited comes into being on December 1, expressed strong support for Eden Park, which is owned by a private trust.

He said Eden Park will be around for the next 10 years and supports the Eden Park Trust's resource consent application to stage rock concerts as of right.

Asked about the future for council-owned Mt Smart and North Harbour stadiums, Hill said: "I don't know what the future is for them. I haven't gone into that."

Hill's position on concerts is different to that of the outgoing Regional Facilities chief executive Chris Brooks, who opposed the trust's application in a draft submission not presented at a hearing before independent commissioners on the application last week.

In the submission, Brooks said concerts at Eden Park would lead to growing losses for ratepayers at Mt Smart and Western Springs, job losses at the council venues and no net gain in concerts for the city.

The rationale for Hill's backing of Eden Park is "what's best for Auckland".

"I think Eden Park having more ability to host concerts and more capacity to be used is a good thing for Auckland.

"If that has a negative commercial and financial consequence for council then council needs to deal with that. But we start from the principle of what is right for Auckland," he said.

Mayor Phil Goff, who began his mayoralty in 2016 with grand plans for a $1 billion downtown stadium, now believes Eden Park will be the preeminent stadium location in Auckland for at least a decade.

"Given the council's financial position due to Covid-19, the prospect of building any new stadiums in the next 10 years is remote because other infrastructure requirements take priority.

"It will be important for Eden Park to be more closely integrated with council-owned facilities and to get better utilisation from the stadium for multi-sport activities.

"Council is entering into talks with the Eden Park Trust board to find better ways of integrating the use of venues in Auckland for concerts," said Goff.

Last year, the council bailed out Eden Park to the tune of $63 million, which included a $10m no-strings grant for immediate maintenance. This followed a report by EY, painting a dire financial picture for the stadium.

In addition to resolving the stadium strategy, which has floundered since 2012, Hill wants to resurrect the city's battered cultural and tourism sectors and grow the economy in the post-Covid world where there is less money available.

"That will force us to make some really hard choices," he said.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
I don't have much faith in this guy just read the first line. Auckland only having one rectangle stadium so he choose Eden Park, its a unique shape but it ain't rectangle.

If we are going to centralise we need a football shaped park not one that is going to be multi purpose with cricket. All of the plans so far have had cricket moving to Western Springs but still wanting to use Eden Park for big matches due to the larger capacity. I get where they are coming from as the commercials make sense getting more people in the ground. Its more a fans perspective and the benifits of having grounds designed for specific sports not both or in this case nearly both but it will do.

Concerts would be interesting. How many acts are touring lately that we would fill that venue? Mt Smart is a good capacity for most acts touring NZ in the summer, the acts who can do two nights there would likely full Eden Park. Or the acts playing at Western Springs.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I like this thinking:

"I think Eden Park having more ability to host concerts and more capacity to be used is a good thing for Auckland.

"If that has a negative commercial and financial consequence for council then council needs to deal with that. But we start from the principle of what is right for Auckland," he said.

Need more of that thinking running the city. Nothing he says means the Warriors need to move if they have a clear preference for Mt Smart. What’s best for everyone - not just council He even says he hasn’t thought about the other stadiums yet. Albany seems to have no clear use though...

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
I like this thinking:

Need more of that thinking running the city. Nothing he says means the Warriors need to move if they have a clear preference for Mt Smart. What’s best for everyone - not just council He even says he hasn’t thought about the other stadiums yet. Albany seems to have no clear use though...

You’re right he does say that stuff. But also says Auckland only needs one rectangular stadium and that could lead to some uncomfortable places. I can’t see what that could mean other than “Warriors fans won’t be happy when they are moved to Eden Park”.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Being an old Fogey I have seen the changes in stadium needs over the years. I am also cynical as. Eden Park is iconic in NZ sport, it is regarded the home of NZ Rugby and a fortress. I get it.

I also remember Athletic Park, an iconic ground and the scene of many a memory in NZ and Wellington Rugby, same as Carisbrook in Dunedin. Do we miss them?, not so much.

What happened was progress, stadiums age, they deteriorate and it becomes more and more expensive to maintain them, while what they provide doesn't reflect modern requirements.

So why does Eden Park seemingly buck the trend, in short, it doesn't. It is expensive to run and is constantly cap in hand to the rate payers of Auckland and NZ taxpayers. Why, it is privately owned so I can only presume there is a lot of influence in high places.

It is time to face up to facts and look at a stadium, although I would go further with a sports precinct close to down town to take advantage of transport and hospitality hubs. Will it happen? I hnestly cannot see how with the current Auckland Governance.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Once Christchurch has their new facility in 2024, Auckland will want a new one too.

Reactions: bruce

Arfur

Warriors Bench Player
May 23, 2012
All this nonsense about needing a stadium near the CBD. Wellington did that, and now they can't even fill an All Blacks Vs Wallabies test.
This new Auckland Unlimited CEO clearly doesn't know what he's talking about when he describes Eden Park as a 'rectangular' football stadium.
Not bad for someone who will earn over half a million in salary.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
All this nonsense about needing a stadium near the CBD. Wellington did that, and now they can't even fill an All Blacks Vs Wallabies test.
This new Auckland Unlimited CEO clearly doesn't know what he's talking about when he describes Eden Park as a 'rectangular' football stadium.
Not bad for someone who will earn over half a million in salary.
I know what a rectangle is and I’ll work for half Nick Hill‘s salary. Phil can give me a call when he‘s free.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Eden is certainly a wrecked angular stadium.

Maybe that's what he meant and it's the old "lost in translation" thing.

Can we lobby the ICC to announce that Eden Park is unsuitable for any level of cricket? That'd open the way for it to be truly rectangular stadium.

Reactions: Inruin

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
Going nowhere for League this one. Rah-Rahs have too many friends in high places to get any sense into this discussion. Same folks who influence the Halbergs... the establishment would rather call off the awards entirely than give it to the Warriors. They would rather permit the boys to play at Eden Park than support a truly rectangular stadium.

Geoffpublic

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
I don't think this is good for the Warriors.

Union has wanted a flash stadium in Auckland since the Welsh opened Millennium stadium.

The Warriors will not be the principal tenant at Eden Park so will have less advertising marketing and sponsorship opportunities. Their ability to dictate when they play will be diminished and the stadium will be less what they want.

Moving concerts from Mt Smart to Eden Park will hurt Mt Smarts economic viability. That will make it harder to justify keeping it going.

Eden Park Trust Board has become bold lately. I think Hill has been appointed to execute an already decided plan.

I've long thought Eden Park is a poor location for a stadium and none of the things mentioned will change that.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
Being an old Fogey I have seen the changes in stadium needs over the years. I am also cynical as. Eden Park is iconic in NZ sport, it is regarded the home of NZ Rugby and a fortress. I get it.

I also remember Athletic Park, an iconic ground and the scene of many a memory in NZ and Wellington Rugby, same as Carisbrook in Dunedin. Do we miss them?, not so much.

What happened was progress, stadiums age, they deteriorate and it becomes more and more expensive to maintain them, while what they provide doesn't reflect modern requirements.

So why does Eden Park seemingly buck the trend, in short, it doesn't. It is expensive to run and is constantly cap in hand to the rate payers of Auckland and NZ taxpayers. Why, it is privately owned so I can only presume there is a lot of influence in high places.

It is time to face up to facts and look at a stadium, although I would go further with a sports precinct close to down town to take advantage of transport and hospitality hubs. Will it happen? I hnestly cannot see how with the current Auckland Governance.
Gizzyfan, we all know by now that all in all here in NZ we are short sighted and try to cut corners to save money and then realise 15 years later we shouldn’t have and it would have been cheaper to do it right in the first place and now it’s too expensive ( it’s always too expensive) to remedy it. The guys right though, we do need only only rectangle stadium, but Eden park is a very underwhelming option isn’t it.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I appreciate where he is coming from after he and his incompetent cronies bailed the park out for over $63 million just last year. He is trying to get a portion of that back but there isn't a person on the planet who genuinely believes the Eden Park Trust will ever be able to pay that back.

What I find baffling is even Nick Hill himself knows that Eden Park has a very limited shelf life. To sink even more money into the biggest white elephant in the country is just ludicrous. What has been needed since the 2011 RWC has and always will be a new purpose built stadium. That isn't Mt Smart but it certainly isnt Eden Park. Unfortunately for Aucklanders what is needed even more so are real leaders who have the balls to get this inevitable project into action.

Anyway, just like the last moron who led the RFA I'm predicting all that will happen is a series of meetings with the Warriors, Auckland Cricket and Rugby Union as well as the speedway folks, a few controversial proposals, then when its all said and done Mr Hill will walk away with 3 years of $500K salary and nothing of any substance will have ever been resolved or initiated...

Geoffpublic

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
Probably dreaming but its possible Eden Park could be one of the great benefactors if the RMA changes.
Also they are going full steam ahead. The only thing Mt Smart has had recently is a big screen . If Mt Smart closed it could be put on a truck for Eden Park. They got tired of waiting so they took other money and brought their own.
Don't get me wrong. I'd love a state of the art multipurpose venue like Tottenham has.
I'd like to see it at Mt Smart. Industrial area, 2 motorways close so we can still get there if 1 closes for any reason. Not far to run a rail track for a match day or concert station. Itd take a bit of planning, but reasonably central for many.
But I can't see Union letting that happen.

Arfur

Warriors Bench Player
May 23, 2012
The same two issues have been the flys in the ointment here. Cricket and speedway. Unfortunately, both of them will have to move. Commonsense says cricket would be best at Western Springs. I am sorry for the speedway fraternity, but their time has come to move away from the residential areas. I think they already know this. If Mt Smart, unfortunately, has to go, then that would be a perfect venue for speedway.
I am a long time season ticket holder at Mt Smart and I want The Warriors to stay there, however, I am realistic enough to see the writing on the wall.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
cant believe all these years later, its exactly the same arguments again.

council throws money at eden park
residents complain
council upgrades surrounding transport infrastructure
which creates bottlenecks and people complain
Council wants to stop paying for other stadiums, so they can put money into a privately funded business that they will never see back, as well as kick out the current owners (cricket).
Neither cricket nor rugby auckland (the actual owners) are interested in either using the venue or paying for alterations. But both are unwilling to let it go due to 'history'.
The debit owing on eden park would have paid for a waterfront stadium by now.

Has anyone else seen the switch with NSW government canning the idea of mega stadiums and refocusing on boutique ones instead? I cant help but think that smaller stadiums with full crowds just feel better, even on TV. Why build a stadium that can only be used at capacity once a year?

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Why build a stadium that can only be used at capacity once a year?
Because apart from the SFS the other were white elephants they had to find an excuse to use:

1974 Commonwealth Games QEII
1990 Commonwealth Games - Mount Smart
2000 Olympic Games Olympic Stadium Sydney
2011 RWC - Eden Park

It took 30 years to pay off the Montreal Olympic Stadium, another white elephant.

The exception was North Harbour Stadium, which was built for no reason except the North Harbour Rugby Union needed a home. They were using the grounds of the Takapuna Rugby Club before then.

It was controversial, the ratepayers were dead agaisnt it. It is a shocking design, in a terrible place, but at least you can see the game from all round the ground.

Now I ask you, does Sir Ron Scott, Dame Cath Tizard, Paul Titchener or Helen Clark have to face the music for the debt they have loaded on ratepayers?

Seriously, the government needs to step in here and stop these fuckwits wasting ratepayers money.

What was that Bruce? Helen Clark was the Prime Minister who over ruled the Mayor John Banks on Eden Park. He didn't want a bar of it.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings