Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
- May 8, 2012
- Reaction score
I read the article and can see the writing on the wall, without a change of local goverment they are going to bail out Eden Park, however your suggested changes would far exceed the 61 mil they are expecting to spend. So I have an amendum to add to it.Here's some ideas from left field involving Eden Park.
All of this could be done before the Warriors lease for Mt Smart is up and, if the shape of Eden Park was more suitable for league, I think most of the Warriors fan base would go for it.
- Forget about a waterfront stadium: that idea is now past it's use by date.
- One of the worst things about Eden Park is it's shape. It's too small for a proper cricket ground but Auckland Cricket don't want to leave there because they'll lose their $1 mil. a year grant from the EPTB (Eden Park Trust Board). Solution: Auckland Council grant them $1 mil. a year grant to play all the cricket games inc. international T20's, ODI's and Test Matches at the new Western Springs stadium. Along with this, Auckland Cricket loses their voting rights for the EPTB. One board position is granted to the ARL in exchange for the Warriors moving all their Auckland regular season and all finals games to Eden Park.
- Remove the southern, eastern and western stands and erect new stands closer to the sidelines to allow for a rectangular ground. Make sure the roof height for these new stands matches the height of the remaining stand. Have a maximum capacity of 50,000.
- Provide the new stands with as tiers to match the remaining stand. Why? So that they can sell tickets (inc. season tickets) to the bottom tier first so the stadium looks fuller.
- Neighbours complain about sound including concerts and events running too long. Solution: put a soundproof roof on the thing.... that's why you make all the roofs to the new stands match the height of the remaining northern stand.
- Auckland Council change the District Plan (it is theirs after all) and allow the EPTB to either develop Eden Park Two themselves or allow it to be sold to a developer to develop. The money from the sale would help fund all of the above. Best of all would be for the EPTB to sell the land as leasehold and get a ground rent from it each year so either pay back their loans or pay for the upkeep of the stadium.
As a very "unscientific" poll of a very small group of Warriors supporters, if you like the idea of the Warriors shifting to Eden Park with a roof and more suitable for League than it currently is, click on the "Like" button below, if you hate/dislike the idea, click on the "Funny" button.
Council refuses to pay the loan, instead they buy Eden Park for the city of Auckland. For the cost of the loan plus the costs to give cricket a new venue.
There will be no hand out to the trust in future, there will no longer be a trust at all. This is now an auckland facility and can no longer be held to account by the RahRahs and the Cricket wazzos.
Then make all the changes as required to turn it into a rectangular park as you suggest above.