General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's some ideas from left field involving Eden Park.
  1. Forget about a waterfront stadium: that idea is now past it's use by date.
  2. One of the worst things about Eden Park is it's shape. It's too small for a proper cricket ground but Auckland Cricket don't want to leave there because they'll lose their $1 mil. a year grant from the EPTB (Eden Park Trust Board). Solution: Auckland Council grant them $1 mil. a year grant to play all the cricket games inc. international T20's, ODI's and Test Matches at the new Western Springs stadium. Along with this, Auckland Cricket loses their voting rights for the EPTB. One board position is granted to the ARL in exchange for the Warriors moving all their Auckland regular season and all finals games to Eden Park.
  3. Remove the southern, eastern and western stands and erect new stands closer to the sidelines to allow for a rectangular ground. Make sure the roof height for these new stands matches the height of the remaining stand. Have a maximum capacity of 50,000.
  4. Provide the new stands with as tiers to match the remaining stand. Why? So that they can sell tickets (inc. season tickets) to the bottom tier first so the stadium looks fuller.
  5. Neighbours complain about sound including concerts and events running too long. Solution: put a soundproof roof on the thing.... that's why you make all the roofs to the new stands match the height of the remaining northern stand.
  6. Auckland Council change the District Plan (it is theirs after all) and allow the EPTB to either develop Eden Park Two themselves or allow it to be sold to a developer to develop. The money from the sale would help fund all of the above. Best of all would be for the EPTB to sell the land as leasehold and get a ground rent from it each year so either pay back their loans or pay for the upkeep of the stadium.
All of this could be done before the Warriors lease for Mt Smart is up and, if the shape of Eden Park was more suitable for league, I think most of the Warriors fan base would go for it.

As a very "unscientific" poll of a very small group of Warriors supporters, if you like the idea of the Warriors shifting to Eden Park with a roof and more suitable for League than it currently is, click on the "Like" button below, if you hate/dislike the idea, click on the "Funny" button.
I read the article and can see the writing on the wall, without a change of local goverment they are going to bail out Eden Park, however your suggested changes would far exceed the 61 mil they are expecting to spend. So I have an amendum to add to it.

Council refuses to pay the loan, instead they buy Eden Park for the city of Auckland. For the cost of the loan plus the costs to give cricket a new venue.

There will be no hand out to the trust in future, there will no longer be a trust at all. This is now an auckland facility and can no longer be held to account by the RahRahs and the Cricket wazzos.

Then make all the changes as required to turn it into a rectangular park as you suggest above.

Reaction score

warriors4eva

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
all i think of with a waterfront stadium is how difficult it would be to get a park close seeing i come from out of town

mt smart much easier for me to get too if they were thinking of moving the warriors at some stage

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
That instead of building a downtown stadium what we should be building is one big huge giant entertainment precinct along Auckland Waterfront complete with amusement park, arcades, shops, an indoor nature reserve, water slides, pools and a private beach. A downtown stadium should only be seen as one part of it.
Nice idea and it makes sense. The trouble is the Auckland Council own the Port and have been more interested in bringing in used cars to keep the rates down. To follow the example of Sydney Northport and Tauranga should be the freight ports for the region. That horse has well and truly bolted. The council can hang its head in shame.
Neighbours complain about sound including concerts and events running too long. Solution: put a soundproof roof on the thing.... that's why you make all the roofs to the new stands match the height of the remaining northern stand.
I agree with all of your post except that one. A roof over good turf is problematic, my vote is to tell the nimbies to fark off, seriously, and it should have been done years ago. Without knowing I wonder how many of those nimbies are cyclists as well.

Eden Park might be a hike from downtown but by 2022 there will be two return tracks to Britomart that will probably make it one of the most accessible grounds by public transport in Auckland.

The only question I don't know is which is cheaper, redeveloping Eden Park or MSS?

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
all i think of with a waterfront stadium is how difficult it would be to get a park close seeing i come from out of town

mt smart much easier for me to get too if they were thinking of moving the warriors at some stage
I agree totally with MSS for car transport. Eden Park has it for public transport though after 2022, hands down.

Reaction score
Whiteknight

Whiteknight

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Bowl both and build in South Auckland, the land is cheaper and and the Manukau area will in the middle of the Auckland region before too long

Reaction score

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I read the article and can see the writing on the wall, without a change of local goverment they are going to bail out Eden Park, however your suggested changes would far exceed the 61 mil they are expecting to spend. So I have an amendum to add to it.

Council refuses to pay the loan, instead they buy Eden Park for the city of Auckland. For the cost of the loan plus the costs to give cricket a new venue.

There will be no hand out to the trust in future, there will no longer be a trust at all. This is now an auckland facility and can no longer be held to account by the RahRahs and the Cricket wazzos.

Then make all the changes as required to turn it into a rectangular park as you suggest above.

If, and only if the EPTB Rah Rah's do not benefit from the arrangement in any way except to eat humble pie, acknowledge their failures and hence perhaps be forgiven if they stay away entirely, then this could be a good compromise.

As for the costs, that would need a closer look...But as a sceptic, I can see the first expert headline opinion...$1Bn for a roof! End of story. Just give the ratepayer funds to the Rah Rah's cos they know best... and after all it is our national game....

Reaction score
Fenderboy

Fenderboy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
This is crazy.

I timed my progress in a traffic snarl last week at 500 metres in 11 minutes, and that isn't a one off, I just took the time to note it. The harbour bridge is past capacity now for much of the day although they claim the peak hasn't been reached yet? I say bullshit to that.

Apart from the widening of the North Western Motorway at Massey and Unsworth Heights I don't know of any major road improvements being made that justify my extra fuel tax which might even be spent so that wanking cyclists can ride on the harbour bridge.

So WTF is Goff going to find $100 million to pay for this shite?

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Extend Eden Park and move speedway from Western Springs

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Extend Eden Park and move speedway from Western Springs
how hard would it be for them to make Eden park into a full sized cricket pitch? Maybe they can save the money from Western springs, delete some of the lower stands and leave cricket their mess to clean up?

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
How can they do closed doors over so much money. Somebody go down there and yhe door in.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Eden park will be discussed behind closed doors.

Have you seen my Dog Hiram? are you a travelling man?

Excuse the Freemasonry references, but these cunts running our city do it with one trouser leg rolled up.

Fark you elitist wannabe Aryan cunts.
Fark, where did that come from bro?

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Richard Fale should buy it
Yep and bowl it.

Erect a clutch of apartment buildings with a red and white colour scheme, the neighbours would love it.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Fark, where did that come from bro?
A deep seated hatred of the business round table and the knobs that destroyed the original govt paid for waterfront stadium.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
how hard would it be for them to make Eden park into a full sized cricket pitch? Maybe they can save the money from Western springs, delete some of the lower stands and leave cricket their mess to clean up?
Pisses me off how the NZ cricket fraternity are in denial that our stupid small fields hold us back from being the best team. It's logic that if players are conditioned to playing on bigger fields, they'll beat a team that is used to not hitting far.

The reason cricket won't budge is because outside of a legal right to be at EP, they actually have no money of their own neither real assets. If India weren't so popular, we'd have no money. They know it. So they cling to anything.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
The reason cricket won't budge is because outside of a legal right to be at EP, they actually have no money of their own neither real assets.
They have no right to Eden Park anymore. They are bankrupt.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
I was only joking!!!!!

Top Bottom