General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by STEEDEN, Mar 20, 2016.

1. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Burn her down!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Geoffpublic
    Join:
    Dec 7, 2018

Geoffpublic Waterboy

There will probably be a few more articles like this to pressure councillors. Resource consents at Colin Dale Park expire soon and Motorsport groups need council funding for basic infrastructure. To date it is not given.
    To move speedway there is possibly another 30-40 million on top of that.
    Cricket has a starting figure of 60 million to redevelop Western Springs.
    Then there would be the costs of a downtown stadium. Even a so called free stadium would cost many millions in infrastructure.
    Assuming it was built on land what would the land lease cost be alone. Assuming it's worth 20 million, that's 1 million per year.
    Using Spark Arena as rule of thumb. We will be paying $20 for parking per game. There are few good food places near Spark. Why would this be any different.NZ stadiums are backward in providing competitive food outlets on site.
    The income drain from Mt Smart would close that. With the easily moved big screen appearing to be the only major council purchase Regional Facilities Auckland has not shown commitment to Mt Smart.
    Auckland Council is broke and it would be financially incompetent to do a downtown stadium. The concessions the council are looking at granting at each venue to make movement happen, CD Park, Western Springs etc are poor business for the sport and ratepayers.
    I believe they would be best served focussing on the assets they own and invest and upgrade those over time.
    Rant over. The stuff going on really annoys me.

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

They only inherited it from previous councils. We really are our own worst enemy. When Aunty Helen offered to build the stadium the council dropped their bundle when they should have rolled their sleeves up. The only delay would have been them jumping through their own red tape.

But totally agree with you. That ship has not only sailed its now sunk. Probably right at the Tank Farm just to really rub it in :(.

Said it before and I'll say it again. I won't be watching a game at this supposed stadium. Not cause I won't go but because it won't be built in my lifetime...

4. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

Ok cool. Baypark was a great stadium for Tauranga in the 2000’s

5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Err...Baypark is across the harbour at Mount Manganui;), Tauranga has nothing.
    Nor mine;);)...and the coming global recession will mean the current talk will continue until Eden Park falls to pieces and they will be faced with doing a decent job on MSS. YOU READ IT HERE FIRST.:D
    I cannot remember Aunty Helen offering to build a stadium. All she did was show up at an IRB meeting and shake a few hands, the suckers went for it. John Banks (a league) would have taken any government offer to build a stadium, he just didn't want the Auckland ratepayers paying for it, and said so.

6. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I probably would of went to more games if this stadium got sorted in town. I had a job in town with a car park provided. Friday nights would of been change of top to my jersey and walk down Queen Street. Weekends would of been drive in and head on down. Probably would of stayed at the job longer to as it would of provided an added perk with parking on game day.

Ended up the company went out of business (not my fault by the way:p) anyway so I couldn't even get to the point the stadium was underway.

I haven't been past when an events been on for a while. But years ago when I would head back up to Auckland through Tauranga instead of Rotorua I once got stuck at the roundabout by Bay Park as people walked across the motorway to the speedway. A unique issue for a stadium.

My uncle who lives close to that stadium is a fan of it. Thinks it is easy to get to and from the ground; although he didn't say if it was at capacity or not when I spoke with him.

It's also dual purpose with racing as well. So can be used all year round.

Not sure how well the stadium will hold up long term with the population growth of the area.

7. kavafred
    Join:
    Jul 26, 2013

kavafred Warriors Bench Player

I remember when it was an even better race track!! Spent a lot of my youth being pit crew (bum boy) for my bro when he raced motorcycles there against guys like Simon Crafar, Robbie Deans and the likes!!

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Editorial from the NZ Herald
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Editorial: Making right call on Eden Park will take courage
    EDITORIAL

Eden Park, which brands itself New Zealand's national stadium, is is very poor shape. The famous surburban ground urgently needs care and attention — but the trust which runs it doesn't have the money to do the job.

Moreover, it is shackled by rules it must observe from making enough to keep the place running, let alone undertake the investments needed to secure its future. To all intents and purposes, the park is on life support.

Under its trust deed, Eden Park is meant to be run for the benefit of rugby and cricket, as well as other codes and events, for the whole of the region. What's more the park is meant to stand on its own financial feet.

So what solutions are there for Eden Park?
    Auckland has sizeable stadiums on the North Shore, at Mt Smart and Western Springs. Add in Eden Park and the city has found big grounds, all used sporadically and all reliant, in one way or another, on ratepayers to stay in business. This gives ratepayers a stake in the future of the grounds. Their voice needs to be heard, besides the input from sports bodies which use the stadiums and the groups which manage them.

Sooner or later Auckland will have to make tough calls about its stadiums, with the real prospect that one or more may need to go and that a new one is built. When all the evidence is in, the conclusion may be that Eden Park has reached its use-by date.

The decision will not be easy, but then again tough clashes at the park were never won without a struggle. The courage shown down the years on the Eden Park pitch will be needed to make the right call.
    Projections in the report by EY prepared for Auckland Council and which surfaced this week revealed just how far this objective is beyond the ability of the trust to achieve. The maintenance plan for the next decade is estimated to cost $62 million. The plan is unfunded.

The turf which has witnessed significant triumphs needs renewing. Its warranty expired seven years ago. Like a worn carpet, it is kept going with the efforts of ground staff.
    The flood lights are unreliable. They failed before a day-night cricket game last year and could go out at any time. They need replacing at a cost of $5.6 million — funds the trust does not have.

The big screens need upgrading but there is no money to pay the bill.
    Revenue is falling. The golden goose in the shape of the All Blacks play at Eden Park just once this year instead of the usual two tests under an agreement with New Zealand Rugby. Tests are a vital injection into the trust's cash flow. The patchy performance of the Auckland Blues over the last few seasons has hurt revenue as crowds have shrunk.

The Black Caps have only two big cricket games at the park this season, including the T20 against Sri Lanka last night. New Zealand Cricket appears to see its future better served at Western Springs. If the move comes to pass, Eden Park will lose a sporting pillar.

Financially, 2019 is a crunch year for the Eden Park Trust. A $40 million ASB Bank loan matures this year. The trust may struggle to repay the interest, let alone the loan, which is guaranteed by Auckland Council, even though the council by law has no say in the way the ground is run.

Council planning rules however do impinge on park events. Its location in a sea of wooden villas and a feisty neighbourhood wary of noisy concerts means the big inner-city stadium will remain silent most nights.

9. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

The National stadium. Does Auckland deserve such a stadium?

Wellington is the Capital. It has an international airport and rail to the stadium. Along with good accomodation.

Wellinhton had the balls to cut loose from Athletic Park and upgrade the Basin Reserve.

It seems Auckland doesnt have the balls to do the same. Please dont quote population at me because low attendance is part of the issue.

10. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

If only the Basin could be upgraded and the Cake Tin reconfigured to a rectangle

11. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

The Basin is a great proper cricket oval so I guess the Caketin could have been a rectangle. For one day games I dont know the Basins ground capacity.

The Aussies in particular love grounds like the Basin and Pukekura Park as they arnt concrete jungles.

12. The Falcon
    Join:
    Jun 20, 2017

The Falcon U20's Player

Cricket woke up and realised small picturesque boutique grounds best service their sport, - Auckland to follow when they go to Western Springs, - and seem to be reaping the benefits of this.
    Nth Harbour stadium needs to be deconstructed and reformatted to essentially a suped up suburban ground for football and NPC rugby with lower maintenance costs going forward - probably a 12000 capacity.
    A ‘new’ Eden Park should be built in a central location, and if done so intelligently will have an oval ball game played every week from Mid Feb - Oct with alternative music and festival events potentially able to be held over the summer months. It has to be in constant use to pay the bills, Sticking point - old world thinking from old world rugby stiffs who need to loosen their club ties and let some blood circulate to their brains!

13. Old Sid
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Old Sid 1st Grade Fringe

Certainly right in your final assessments Falcon. Will it ever happen?? Can't see any of them giving up their perceived privilege. Guffaw, guffaw!
    They'd rather sink the entire ship and still blame others...

14. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Kata Fan Club President

If its in the central city then any carparking with the stadium can be leased out during the week. Having a hotel, restaurants or shops attached which can help subsidise running costs too would be good. Convention centre?

15. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Exactly wheat they do for Westpac Stadium carparks during the weeks and on non event days... it’s the cheapest car parking in the central city.

16. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Wellington is smaller than Hamilton and Christchurch. It is not a big city and it is only a capital because of government. Most head offices are in Auckland. Athletic Park was dead so had to be replaced. It was a poor decision to make the Cake Tin Oval but that was probably because they needed the money from one day cricket. The Basin Reserve is a great ground for test cricket and there is no real reason why we cannot have a similar ground in Auckland.

The horrible reality for rah rahs is that their beloved Eden Park is going to be concrete and clay, just like our beloved Carlaw Park, so get over it and get used to Fritz's weiners at MSS.

17. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Wellington is bigger than Hamilton.

18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I think almost identical actually, both just over 410,000...but I can guarantee which will be bigger in a couple of years.;)

19. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Assistant Ballboy Contributor

Wellington has a bigger population than CHCH (420k vs 404k)since the quake, and has close to 200k more than Hamilton(420k vs 240k)...
    It’s clear you have a hate for westpac but I used to go there all the time and it’s fine- the easiest stadium I’ve been to to navigate and find your seats, central and easy to get to, close to food/clubs/accommodation. Basin was a pain in the arse to get to- zero parking traffic nightmare no food options(except maybe Newtown).
    Forsyth Barr is a great stadium too just a little hard to get to

20. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

You’ve mixed your numbers up again Bruce, it’s more like;
    Wellington 410,000
    Hamilton 140,000