Sports Rugby World Cup 2023

France and Ireland have been the favourites and form teams last 2+ years with South Africa making a late charge last couple of months. Yes SA beat us solidly a couple of weeks back but we also beat them convincingly about a month before that.
ABs are probably around 4th favourites for this edition ahead of a couple of outside chances in England/Scotland and possibly Aus as they have an extremely soft draw, NZ/SA/Ireland and France are on the same side of the draw meaning only 2 of the top 4 Ranked teams can progress past the 1/4 finals.
First up loss particularly to the home team whilst isn’t good it’s not the end of the world either, SA won the 2019 RWC after losing to us in pool play, France made to 2011 RWC final after losing to us in pool play.
Whilst still a chance we are probably in our worst position form wise going into the cup so most aren’t expecting an All Blacks win possibly for the first time ever

Thanks for the catch up on the state of play.

I would wait for the quarter finals.

Odds are that we either play Ireland or South Africa
If we make the qtrs. Imagine if we don't secure bonus points in each of the next remaining pool games and the France send out there C team to give Italy the bonus
Point win and qualify ahead of us ..

If we make the qtrs. Imagine if we don't secure bonus points in each of the next remaining pool games and the France send out there C team to give Italy the bonus
That would be a disaster, and would be quite poetic to end Fosters coaching reign!

Even if we get to the quarters I can see us getting kicked out first game anyway.

I don't follow union in great detail but it amazes me they have kept Foster on. Does Razor take over after the World Cup? They need a coach like him to get our mojo back.
From what Ive heard, they were ready to ditch Foster a year ago but Razor turned it down until next year, as it was a hospital pass with too short a lead up to the World Cup.

Heard this come through a few times but it doesn’t really stack up
First of all It doesn’t really affect France if we make it or not, we wouldn’t meet again until the final anyway.
Plus if France ‘Threw’ the game they’d risk knocking themselves out in the process, it’s fairly unlikely we don’t get a bonus point against Uruguay and Namibia if both France and Italy do.
And again the result between NZ and Italy will likely be the decider regardless of what France does.
Just the weird doom merchants coming out

Comp kinda starts again in the finals. Our likely opponents Ireland whilst in form have never won a finals game and if you take out the last game we have had the wood on South Africa for some time so it’s not necessarily the slam dunk out that people are predicting

How do you get a bonus point?

Didnt expect us to beat Argentina especially with 14 men. No idea how it's deemed a 2 match ban, but that's the game nowadays with the whole head contact. From one extreme to the other

Scoring 4 tries or more or losing by 7 or less
Good system or a bit Naff?

Sounds daft without seeing it play out over a long time. I had heard of bonus points but never bothered to look into it.

If it is a good system would people say it is transferable to the NRL?

Good system or a bit Naff?

Sounds daft without seeing it play out over a long time. I had heard of bonus points but never bothered to look into it.

If it is a good system would people say it is transferable to the NRL?
Be curious to see what sort of a difference it actually makes over the course of the pool stages. Guess it separates teams on even comp points and moreso rewards those that have had a tight loss and helps those that have dominant wins to finish top etc.
Works better in a longer tournament such as super rugby, gives teams something to work towards if they are losing but won’t win etc.
Only change I’d have in NRL is 1 point if game finishes a draw/ additional point if you win in golden point.

Back