General Auckland Vulcans Trial

2big2strong_old

The Lomax's didnt make ya list.

Because they didn't marry any Karawana girls like the Weepu's, Va'a's, Te Reo's and Labans did ( to my knowledge). I was literally talking about 1 family, very talented.

They're still a massive part of Wainui though!

slaughterhouse.sa_old

I don't know but I doubt Sonny ditched the Vulcans as he'd have been contracted to them for 10K or so and also getting match payments from Otahuhu. I think Blackmore took him on as a project and to help Otahuhu at the same time. It'll be interesting to see what he does this year.

Laban, Gubb and the tank back eh? Hermann's easily the best of those three but I reckon he must've got offside with someone at the Warriors, he'd be better off having a crack in England or France. A bit small for prop though, I've seen him play one club game at 13 and he was outstanding.

I watched Laban play a few club games for Howick and he is a very good leader but just doesn't do enough work and the work he does do is unspectacular. He's also too small for prop for Auckland club footy IMO. Not good enough for the Vulcans either unless he's improved in Aus.

Got frustrated with no game time, deep into the season.
Fair enough to a degree, some of the player get frustated by warriors players getting automatic selection.

And with guys like robinson & penehe getting automatic selection would of peeved some off eventually.

Laban is no chance imo. He couldnt cement a spot in howick top side no chance of vulcans. Too much of a plodder.

Those players are probably only back to trial, only a couple can get picked up then the others would probably go back to qld.

bigstuboy_old

cool if charlie gubb is back i really liked his aggression in the 20s and wasn't he in the winning queensland cup side last season

Viking_old

Got frustrated with no game time, deep into the season.
Fair enough to a degree, some of the player get frustated by warriors players getting automatic selection.

And with guys like robinson & penehe getting automatic selection would of peeved some off eventually.

Laban is no chance imo. He couldnt cement a spot in howick top side no chance of vulcans. Too much of a plodder.

Those players are probably only back to trial, only a couple can get picked up then the others would probably go back to qld.

Did he actually ditch the Vulcans after being paid his 10K? Doesn't seem like a smart move if that's the case no matter how fustrated he was. Blackmore would have enough contacts to get him a good pro gig in England if he was patient enough.

I thought Q cup players would make more money than the Vulcans, it doesn't make sense that those three were only back to trial unless Gubb and Laban couldn't crack their respective Q Cup teams. 10K only works out at around $400 a game and the loss in wages for the away games would take a chunk out of that. The best thing the Vulcans could do was introduce contracts, it used to be a few hundred dollars win bonus and they weren't winining too often but the players would still forfeit a days wages for away games.

The other thing I don't understand is the late start the Vulcans do year after year. Q Cup and NSW Cup teams are usually formed and have a few months under their belt by the time the Vulcans are holding their open trial. There were a number of NSW Cup pre-season games played yesterday.

2big2strong_old

Laban was already signed pre-trial by Mick Lacey as was the core of the Vulcans squad. They've been training since new years as a team. I'd say the trial was only an opportunity for general talent scouting.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Did he actually ditch the Vulcans after being paid his 10K? Doesn't seem like a smart move if that's the case no matter how fustrated he was. Blackmore would have enough contacts to get him a good pro gig in England if he was patient enough.

I thought Q cup players would make more money than the Vulcans, it doesn't make sense that those three were only back to trial unless Gubb and Laban couldn't crack their respective Q Cup teams. 10K only works out at around $400 a game and the loss in wages for the away games would take a chunk out of that. The best thing the Vulcans could do was introduce contracts, it used to be a few hundred dollars win bonus and they weren't winining too often but the players would still forfeit a days wages for away games.

The other thing I don't understand is the late start the Vulcans do year after year. Q Cup and NSW Cup teams are usually formed and have a few months under their belt by the time the Vulcans are holding their open trial. There were a number of NSW Cup pre-season games played yesterday.

Yeah not a smart move .. but perhaps he put in his focus toward otahuhu.
Yeah they would but some boys would get homesick, lose motivation etc. . .

But remember with the warriors having so much depth, there wont actually be that many garunteed spots open for non-warriors contracted players.
So some players would be better of shooting of overseas.

they did contract players this year like two groups. One lot to be used all the time and secondary group as backup adn they have the ability to call up players.

the cream local talent have been training through.
Remember most of these guys are amateurs and have been through a long season in fox, vulcans and national comp . much of the team comes from the warriors anyway.

bigstuboy_old

im really looking foward to seeing how they go this year i went to almost all there games last year and was so impressed with the way richie had turned things around so quickly. im really hoping pita can cement a spot in the starting 17 for the warriors he is a class act suprised he has not been snapped up by another team he has been in amazing form the last few seasons.

Spence_old

Speaking of the Vulcans, I see that Canterbury are doing their uniform this year. They also mentioned on their facebook page that they're going to sell them, assuming there's a stockist interested. I hope this comes into fruition, I'd definitely grab a jersey. I love the Vulcan's jersey, it's awesome.

Spence_old

From the Vulcan's facebook page:

The Auckland Vulcans ‘Open Trial’ held at Cornwall Park on Saturday attracted 70 players including 2 from the Waikato and 1 from Christchurch. Players were given a solid work out by the Vulcans coaching staff over 5 x 20 minute spells and it was evident the fitness levels and skills on show were well ahead of last year.

At the end of the trial the following 22 players were named in the ‘train on’... squad for the upcoming warm up games against a Pacific Rugby League selection (Feb 11th) & the Junior Warriors (Feb 18th).

Name 2011 Club

James Blackwell Otahuhu

Shaun Johnson Bristow Papakura

Sheldon Brown Warriors U20's 2011

Tulson Caird Mt Albert / Vulcans

Henry Chan-Ting Richmond / Warriors U20s

Dylan Collier Warriors U20s

Murray Iti Waikato

Darin Kingi Manurewa / Vulcans

Arden McCarthy Richmond

Agnatius Paasi Warriors U20s

Daniel Palavi Central Comets

Willie Peace Marist / Vulcans

Philip Pese Te Atatu

Herman Retzlaf Nth Sydney Bears

Gary Riley Mt Albert

Josh Samuela Richmond

Karl Semiti Richmond

Willie Stowers Papakura

Leni Sulusi Glenora

Nuivao Taka Richmond

Steven Waetford Howick

Reuben Williams Waikato

I see Rusty Bristow's little brother is in there, is he any good?

slaughterhouse.sa_old

From the Vulcan's facebook page:

I see Rusty Bristow's little brother is in there, is he any good?

Shaun Johnson - yea he is like Rusty but a football taller and few kgs heavier
He played in the Maori Tournament with Rusty.

Last year he was eligible for 18s - so would be eligible for 20s this year and next yearr.

He is a big unit who is pretty mobile - def. should be in the warriors 20s trainon squad - hope his bros rep. didnt effect his chances.

However he will get to impress the warriors when the vuclans play against them.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Having a quick look through that squad a good mix of local club/rep footy players and ex warriors.

Reuben Williams is a good centre - from Huntly ways - he played for NZ residents.

Steven Waetford/James Blackwell - both gun fox/rep fullbacks.
Waetfod could also play wing/centre and blackwell prob. 6 if needed

Murray Iti is from Maoris - played npc a little with waikato

Juju_old

Reuben Williams was in my year at school. So no spring chicken to be debuting for the Vulcans... (*cough* at least 30 this year)

Spence_old

407408_284765838244430_196722317048783_748208_1534736556_n.jpg

2big2strong_old

Is that the actual blue or will they stick with the darker blue they've normally had?

Do you like it spence?

Spence_old

I'd prefer the darker blue that they usually have, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see it in person.

JAH_old

I work at one of the Q Cup venues and I asked some one about there wages one day they can make good coin espically if they have NRL experience

Northern_Union

Whats good coin in the Q cup? I know in France you can make a comfortable livng in the Elite 1 comp and can make enough to live on in Elite 2.