General Auckland Rugby League

kiwi's 13-6

read an article recently that john ackland was looking to get the auckland rep side games (great idea) and that no other province wanted to play them this year which i just couldnt believe i know its short notice but cant belive wellington, canterbury, waikato turned them down i know its short notice but season hasnt started yet not that short of a notice something cant be organised?

Sup42

Sup42

Maybe the rest of the country don't want to play against one of Aklands seventeen prop selection sides.

Reactions: 1 user

Nahz

Big balls by Richmond to do that. The reality is that not many will follow as the bar at the club is one of the main sources of income and most clubs need every single cent that comes through. Good luck to them...

agree,shit i'll have to climb up one of the trees in camouflage and watch & have a couple now
:confused:

slaughterhouse.sa

read an article recently that john ackland was looking to get the auckland rep side games (great idea) and that no other province wanted to play them this year which i just couldnt believe i know its short notice but cant belive wellington, canterbury, waikato turned them down i know its short notice but season hasnt started yet not that short of a notice something cant be organised?

Because nobody likes Auckland rugby league - because of their arrogance.
Thankfully NZRL split up Auckland - for reps with Counties-Manukau at 15s, 17s and Prem level.
Way better pathways now

They had one game last Auckland Rugby League last year and they only picked one Counties players anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
ramraider78

ramraider78

FOX kicked off today - good games around the city, chance to some quality local footy.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Because nobody likes Auckland rugby league - because of their arrogance.
Thankfully NZRL split up Auckland - for reps with Counties-Manukau at 15s, 17s and Prem level.
Way better pathways now

They had one game last Auckland Rugby League last year and they only picked one Counties players anyway.
Not to mention the fact that we would wipe the floor with them. No one is going to put money towards something when they know theyre going to get a good hiding :D. Auckland Rugby League is far too strong at the moment...

ramraider78

ramraider78

Good win for Otablu over Howick :D...
We lost :finger: to Papakura; decent game,but it was sour to see 8 hawks players in there starting 17 for premz and 5 in the reserves; James bell had a blinder IMO should be back in 20's this wk

slaughterhouse.sa

Not to mention the fact that we would wipe the floor with them. No one is going to put money towards something when they know theyre going to get a good hiding :D. Auckland Rugby League is far too strong at the moment...

Money - wont cost any money ARL can fly or drive down a team to play against another rep team.
League in Auckland is strong. ARL arent strong they are just rich (and from other areas perspective arrogant).

slaughterhouse.sa

We lost :finger: to Papakura; decent game,but it was sour to see 8 hawks players in there starting 17 for premz and 5 in the reserves; James bell had a blinder IMO should be back in 20's this wk

Yea I seen the teamlists online - knew about hifo.
Some players really looked up to him so would of followed him when he didnt get coach.
But guys like Stedman lefau would of blatantly been headhunted.

Did Atu Tupou go back to Kura??? He could of been a good player

Seen Eko Malu named for Howick, Papakura should of paid him instead of all those other mangere players.
He has big game experience and will be handy in the Fox and no way he wouldnt stay at Mangere after his old man got the flick as coach.

ramraider78

ramraider78

Yea I seen the teamlists online - knew about hifo.
Some players really looked up to him so would of followed him when he didnt get coach.
But guys like Stedman lefau would of blatantly been headhunted.

Did Atu Tupou go back to Kura??? He could of been a good player

Seen Eko Malu named for Howick, Papakura should of paid him instead of all those other mangere players.
He has big game experience and will be handy in the Fox and no way he wouldnt stay at Mangere after his old man got the flick as coach.

We don't do player/coach,it really doesn't work - ask Howick they been trying to get an actual coach since last year; Roman leads the players to sack the coach,he's gone ,they all still leave,didn't make a difference ,player power dangerous in any club IMO ;BTW the coach last year was rubbish,clueless at senior level ,he just had a talented roster, i know i played reserves an senior A's. More rubbish about Roman's leadership they followed him for the $ and what Kura can do for us haha you wonder why there has been a fall out over there in the junior club and coaches wanting out. What $ club goes on FB during pre season and does a Sean O'Sullivan for Senior players to come to training lol You don't treat your premz like gods lol.

There might be some more movement before the transfer cut off in a few weeks - Ken Maumalo is over at Kura an telling other NYC 20's let's all go over there and get paid;how much pulling power has the counties coach got over there,texting players lol

Those big money clubs have no junior development coming through they use players to tell there mates lets all go over here. You can't fight $, players have families to feed ,fair enough but let's keep it real at local level, some of these guys rock into our club like it's normal to party. At least we can say ,no one is getting paid at all this year.

Atu is due for a ankle op and is selling his services to the highest bidder,when he comes right - he's been to a few club's training's in the last few months.

Eko is worth every cent IMO you are right he's the halve that could help Howick win the Fox this year - that club no better then kura, all up 8 players over there from hawks - what a joke, hope those clubs supporters are reading this,bring some of there own juniors through instead of poaching ours.

YES this is a sour rant, I'm not perfect but I'm loyal.

slaughterhouse.sa

We don't do player/coach,it really doesn't work - ask Howick they been trying to get an actual coach since last year; Roman leads the players to sack the coach,he's gone ,they all still leave,didn't make a difference ,player power dangerous in any club IMO ;BTW the coach last year was rubbish,clueless at senior level ,he just had a talented roster, i know i played reserves an senior A's. More rubbish about Roman's leadership they followed him for the $ and what Kura can do for us haha you wonder why there has been a fall out over there in the junior club and coaches wanting out. What $ club goes on FB during pre season and does a Sean O'Sullivan for Senior players to come to training lol You don't treat your premz like gods lol.

There might be some more movement before the transfer cut off in a few weeks - Ken Maumalo is over at Kura an telling other NYC 20's let's all go over there and get paid;how much pulling power has the counties coach got over there,texting players lol

Those big money clubs have no junior development coming through they use players to tell there mates lets all go over here. You can't fight $, players have families to feed ,fair enough but let's keep it real at local level, some of these guys rock into our club like it's normal to party. At least we can say ,no one is getting paid at all this year.

Atu is due for a ankle op and is selling his services to the highest bidder,when he comes right - he's been to a few club's training's in the last few months.

Eko is worth every cent IMO you are right he's the halve that could help Howick win the Fox this year - that club no better then kura, all up 8 players over there from hawks - what a joke, hope those clubs supporters are reading this,bring some of there own juniors through instead of poaching ours.

YES this is a sour rant, I'm not perfect but I'm loyal.

Yeah I support all the South auckland clubs but while I called you out on Papakura....didnt realise they had gone that hard on Mangere Player AGAIN
I dont blame the hawks on beeing sour.

Yeah but players go to Howick (and Otahuhu too) ...because they are a chance to win the Fox....if players go to Kura it aint because they care about winning.
Same reason all the south auckland junior go to Mangere (and Otahuhu) as soon as they turn 15 - to win championships.
You must admit - you get a all the best kids from Manurewa, Papakura, Papatoetoe etc signing up for Mangere when they want to win and make rep teams - though clearly you dont pay them.

Eko left because his dad got the sack from Mangere - if he wanted money Papakura, Pt Chev, Mt Albert would of been his destination.
Seems he took that touch players Hotene with him - but he couldnt make the mangere side.

kiwi's 13-6

well i read last week that one of wellington rugby leagues traditionally strong clubs upper hutt tigers cant put out a premier side this year replaced by neighbours trentham titans and another long standing taditionally strong club petone just managed to assemble a squad after the pre season comp was over just in time for the kick off of the premier competition.

got to say for league in wellington recruitment at a lot of clubs involves a tiny add somewhere in the back of community newspaper club people contacting friends and family and after that most clubs if any clubs never go to the wider community. they just spread the word in there existing network a small circle not really the way to go.... a lot of wellington clubs got to widen there recruitment gene pool and be more organised and welcoming of anyone who wants to play, better coaching standards would help to from jr's up.... wellington rugby league need to be more proactive and organise media coverage newspapers and radio better it was good in the past best and fairest was sponsored by the dominion with a cash prize at end of the year, premier local league results need to be emailed to the paper every week the used to print that in the results everyweek these days with cutbacks at newspapers sport at local level has to deliver stories results etc on a platter for the papers the papers not going to come to you often..... even less often these day with the perception taken a hold that few are that interested in reading about local league in the paper or radio

for all the money (by nz standards) and arrogance of auckland, wellington ocassionally and canterbury often have knocked them over sad those provinces dont want to take up the challenge what are they afraid of drawing a crowd? giving there players a rep side in the season to aim for? or perhaps mt wellinton is right the management at wgtn and canterbury are afraid of auckland? dont know what going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
ramraider78

ramraider78

Yeah I support all the South auckland clubs but while I called you out on Papakura....didnt realise they had gone that hard on Mangere Player AGAIN
I dont blame the hawks on beeing sour.

Yeah but players go to Howick (and Otahuhu too) ...because they are a chance to win the Fox....if players go to Kura it aint because they care about winning.
Same reason all the south auckland junior go to Mangere (and Otahuhu) as soon as they turn 15 - to win championships.
You must admit - you get a all the best kids from Manurewa, Papakura, Papatoetoe etc signing up for Mangere when they want to win and make rep teams - though clearly you dont pay them.

Eko left because his dad got the sack from Mangere - if he wanted money Papakura, Pt Chev, Mt Albert would of been his destination.
Seems he took that touch players Hotene with him - but he couldnt make the mangere side.

Ummmm what kids from kura have signed up with us??? I admit kids come to the club to play in good teams but that's not our fault ,we don't actively poach - different scenario bro; TBH when I've spoken to some of these kids and parents they want them to play in a champion team to get noticed by scouts and the club in recent years has looked after these teams - coaching/player pathways go hand in hand. Those numbers aren't huge that transfer in - the core is always Hawks breed.

500 a game and a 2500 sign on fee at Howick is pretty good - we told Eko take the $, that's good coin BTW roman's on $400 a game plus bonuses - Don't debate this bro , info is bang on an I'm only proving a point because you called me out over it,some things the $ clubs want kept private,but we can air it online if we shall go there lol. Heaps of $ is changing hands.

The Howick movement has pissed us off because U17 an U 18 players have been approached by those players to all go over to play Premz - what a joke;thankfully many of them knocked it back.That desire to win a Fox is crap -Howick ,Pt Chev, Papakura are the most cashed up clubs in Auckland ATM. Mt Albert haven't been buying players like past years.

Regardless good on some of these players IMO they have families to feed but lets keep it real they are bought not breed. All I'm saying is show some loyalty to your local grown players,coaches and supporters;give them a shot at premier level.

This is still a sour rant bro - I know you wear that black hat on this forum,for arguments sake but what's real is real.

kiwi's 13-6

i didnt realise that local league players still got paid that kind of cash up in Auckland $500 a week plus a $2500 sign on fee! i thought that kind of cash wasnt common in the local league scene anymore since the late 1990's unless it was a returning nrl or super league player or nz residents rep player playing in france and then back in nz for winter? how common is it for people especially ones know ones really ever heard of to be on that kind of coin in aucks?

has every kid in those clubs jr sides got jerseys/shorts/socks/a mouth guard? has every junior side got a first aid kit and a coach whos been put through an nzrl coaching certificate and also hold a current 1st aid certificate?

if so and the club has sponsorship and club revenue to spend on paying premier players thats allgood good on them? if not then local league clubs blowing that type of cash on buying in players if a club juniors sides have kids struggling without proper basic equipment and properly trained junior side coaches in wrong my opinion and the ARL should not allow payment of premier players by a club unless kids teams at the club are properly resourced first

Last edited by a moderator:

slaughterhouse.sa

Ummmm what kids from kura have signed up with us??? I admit kids come to the club to play in good teams but that's not our fault ,we don't actively poach - different scenario bro; TBH when I've spoken to some of these kids and parents they want them to play in a champion team to get noticed by scouts and the club in recent years has looked after these teams - coaching/player pathways go hand in hand. Those numbers aren't huge that transfer in - the core is always Hawks breed.

500 a game and a 2500 sign on fee at Howick is pretty good - we told Eko take the $, that's good coin BTW roman's on $400 a game plus bonuses - Don't debate this bro , info is bang on an I'm only proving a point because you called me out over it,some things the $ clubs want kept private,but we can air it online if we shall go there lol. Heaps of $ is changing hands.

The Howick movement has pissed us off because U17 an U 18 players have been approached by those players to all go over to play Premz - what a joke;thankfully many of them knocked it back.That desire to win a Fox is crap -Howick ,Pt Chev, Papakura are the most cashed up clubs in Auckland ATM. Mt Albert haven't been buying players like past years.

Regardless good on some of these players IMO they have families to feed but lets keep it real they are bought not breed. All I'm saying is show some loyalty to your local grown players,coaches and supporters;give them a shot at premier level.

This is still a sour rant bro - I know you wear that black hat on this forum,for arguments sake but what's real is real.

There have been plenty of kids come from Papakura, Manurewa, Papatoetoe - who do good at 13s/14s/15s level then switch over to Mangere.
Every year. Not your fault at all - sour rant understood.. just trying to prove a point.

I have no doubt big money changes hands at Papakura and Pt Chev in particular - across the board they have great sponsors.
Teams like Otahuhu, Howick and Glenora will pay decent money for a few elite (generally older players).
Then other smaller clubs pay like 25 bux a win.

I heard from papakura players - Oliveti left Howick for Papakura because he didnt even get win/match bonuses. Most of the Howick and Otahuhu squads play for nothing.

Mangere would of got 2.5K for Eko Malu - not Malu himself.

Every team in the Fox has some form of win bonus - other than Mangere and maybe Richmond..
Even poorer or tighter clubs like Marist.

ramraider78

ramraider78

Bro - seriously this is more PR spinning, sign on fees exist and I've seen the $350 a game handed over in the car park after a game; Mangere never got that 2500,the player is worth $750 - maybe the player is telling lies to everyone or the sponsor is blow bumming to much about all the coin they have got out in Howick - as I said earlier the Info is bang on ;$150 a game for the starting 17 and sponsors top up the rest for the core players (which is few) - be realistic is trent bishop,eko,jethro, zeb and co ,all playing for $150 a game - that's delusional. That club has no age group team in any open international grade - poaching is the only viable option.

Bro which kids from Kura???Got some names??? because you are correct about the rewa,Otara, an Papatoetoe kids in recent years have jumped ship to play in the winning age group team - but the numbers haven't been that big.

Papakura and Pt Chev have great sponsors who are the board of directors that run those teams separate from the clubs themselves. Kura has to many problems with there business model - I hear there's a fallout over there bringing in to many outsiders and neglecting there own breed players - committee members have left in recent weeks over the poaching??? seriously I'm sour over our lot leaving ,how is Manurewa feeling with the 20 - 30 - senior players who all transferred out to kura.

The sour rant continues , but thanks for agreeing that big $ changes hands ,but I wonder how much of that is run through the books??? or is it brown envelopes in the car park after the match??? one of those rants - when you see the kura money man grinning/laughing on the sideline 5 mins out from full time last Saturday :finger:

way2sharp

way2sharp

Big balls by Richmond to do that. The reality is that not many will follow as the bar at the club is one of the main sources of income and most clubs need every single cent that comes through. Good luck to them...

Sorry to hear about the Ultimate Warrior...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Playing rugby league in Paremoremo prison
Friday 28th February 2014
One of the best things about sport is that it creates memories. You hold on to them when times get tough. This became obvious to me when I played a bunch of guys for whom sport was one of the precious few things they had.

A little over a couple of years ago I moved to Auckland. Winter rolled around and I started looking for a rugby club to play for, but I had no car and the closest club was a fair hike from the design school. One night I was wandering past Victoria Park and saw the Ponsonby Rugby League Club training. I thought I’d give it a go.

I was pretty unfit, having done no pre-season work, but they welcomed me into the second side and chucked me out on the wing. My first game was pretty uneventful – we gave Northcote a fair drubbing and I got a few hit ups and made a few tackles. Given that my exposure to league was entirely based on watching the NRL and one training session, I thought it went pretty well. After the next training the coach called us in for a meeting.

“For those of you who don’t know, we’re playing at Pare so the game’s on Sunday. Make sure you go through the main gate and that’s there’s nothing dodgy in your cars.”

I’d heard people say “Pare” before. It was short for Auckland Prison, Paremoremo. I asked the coach if we were playing the guards or something. Nope, the inmates. He told me not to worry, it’d be the cleanest game of anything I’d ever play in my life. I took his word for it, even though I knew that just about the only other way to get into Pare would be a prison sentence.

Rows of windowless concrete blocks topped with even more razor wire. It dawned on us that this is where the guys we were playing actually lived.

We had to play on Sunday because that’s the regular prison visitation day. We had a few jokes as we drove up about if we had to get changed in a cell and sharing showers. The jokes stopped when we turned the corner to the front gate.

Auckland Prison is about a half-hour drive from the city but it feels like you’re in the middle of nowhere. From the outside it’s difficult to actually see the buildings because of the amount of razor wire that surrounds them. Once we had our car searched and drove through the grounds, I realised the wire had been blocking the view of possibly the most depressing structure I’d ever seen. Rows of windowless concrete blocks topped with even more razor wire. It dawned on us that this is where the guys we were playing actually lived. To make things even bleaker it was a cold, windy day and the sky looked the same colour as the cell block walls.

Our changing room turned out to be not too far off from a cell and we pulled on our gear and headed out to warm up. The field had about half a dozen guards surrounding it and, despite only getting one game’s use a week, was not in great condition. It had already turned muddy and I realised I’d made a serious error of judgement by not bringing my longer sprigged boots. Warm up went well, but we couldn’t see our opposition. They’d chosen to get ready behind a fence on their side of the field.

prison.jpg

"I don’t know what any of them had done to be in prison and I sure as hell wasn’t going to ask."
PhotoNZ

The ref blew his whistle and, slowly but surely, a line of men with chests puffed out marched onto the field, barking encouragement to one another. We advanced toward them in a similar fashion from our side of the field. In league there is a curious tradition of lining up alongside one another and shaking hands with the opposite player. It was at that moment I started to wonder what they’d done to be on that side of halfway while I was on this side. Before we peeled off to set up for the kick-off, their captain stepped forward.

“Ponsonby, just before we get into it, I wanna say thanks for coming out here. We all really appreciate it. Let’s have a good game!”

He picked me up and drove me into the turf like I was made of balsa wood.

The game began well for us. We dominated possession and got a scored off some back-to-back sets. Best of all, the guy I was marking was about half my size. I was feeling like this was going to be a cakewalk, but that all changed after about 15 minutes.

In our grade there was unlimited interchange, so players can go on and off for a rest whenever they like. I was setting up to take a hit up off a scrum and fancied my chances against the little winger marking me. When I got the ball and looked up, though, he’d been replaced by a 6’4” Pacific Islander who looked like he’d been carved out the side of a mountain. He picked me up and drove me into the turf like I was made of balsa wood.

The game turned after that. Their captain, who had thanked us for coming before the game, showed even more appreciation by flinging into contact with as many of us as possible. That got their tails up and the rest of them followed suit. Every time we got the ball their tackles stung and we couldn’t even get out of our own half. Their basic but effective tactics paid off and they scored three quick tries.

At the half-time break Coach told us not to worry – they’d get tired, just keep tackling and stick to our game plan. We did just that and clawed our way back thanks to a superior kicking game and a few key mistakes by them. It was a hard slog but we gained the upper hand and going into the last quarter had sealed the match. After we walked back from another try I passed their sideline and was handed a water bottle and given a pat on the back by one of their interchange players, a big Maori with an ill-fitting jersey and a big smile on his tattooed face. “Looks like you boys are just too good today.”

Hopefully, he said with a laugh, this might be his last season on the team

I smiled and handed the bottle back. “Thanks man. You guys keep playing like this and you’ll be hard to beat next time.” He laughed and apologised for the state of the field. I said don’t worry about it, that compared to Wellington fields this was paradise. His eyebrows raised, and he said he was from Wellington too. Before I could ask him who he’d played for back home, it was time to kick off again.

Before the end of the game I was called into play one last time. The ball got spread wide to their gigantic winger, who up until then I’d done a reasonable job of keeping under control. He got a bit of a run up and swerved on the outside of me, which worked out perfectly as my boots couldn’t cope with the mud and I fell off balance. He brushed me aside and scored in the corner. I was lying face down in the mud, feeling more than a little stupid when he came back and tapped me on the shoulder. He outstretched a crudely tattooed hand and helped me up.

After the final whistle their captain, who had battled so hard, asked us if we could join together in one joined huddle to give each other the obligatory cheers. I walked up to him after and told him that he’d played a great game. He told me that Sunday afternoons were the high point of their week and that it helped them get ready ‘when it’s all over’. Hopefully, he said with a laugh, this might be his last season on the team.

That’s the bit that stuck with me. I don’t know what any of them had done to be in prison and I sure as hell wasn’t going to ask. I found out from one of the guards that all the players had to be over a certain age, have no more gang affiliations and be passing certain standards in their rehabilitation programs. If there was any foul play reported by the referees then the team would be kicked out of the competition, which made it self-regulatory because prison wouldn’t be a fun place to be if you were the guy who ruined the high point of everyone else’s week.

Coach was right; it was the cleanest game of anything I’d ever played. It was full of handshakes, compliments and was played in the spirit that nostalgic old timers get misty-eyed over. We went back to Paremoremo for our last game of the season that year and my prediction turned out to be accurate. They had improved and beat us fair and square. I’ve never seen a bunch of guys happier in my life.

https://thewireless.co.nz/blogs/fair-game/playing-rugby-league-in-paremoremo-prison

Reactions: 2 users