General Auckland Rugby League General Discussion

Just out of left field thinking…

At school level change the sport into a 9 a side completion for the majority of the year. 2/3 games a night or tournament weekends. Then a short 13 a side schools competition for each schools top team to finish the season. Make the sport fun, lots of games against different teams, participation.

Reasoning:

- Increases amount of teams with lower player numbers
- Caters to the new generations shorter attention span.
- Faster ‘run around with mates’ and less structure
- Speed and less players reduces the weight in the tackle and heavy hits (great for mums!)
- Can be fit around other sports due to short game time.
- Can be used as a training run for non league players to bolster numbers.
- Could be played over summer.
- Short games reduces blowout in mismatches.

Probably not practical but just brainstrormin…
Some great ideas there Wiz.
However making the sport "fun " is never going to hack it with the upbringing that Aussie youngsters have.
They're taught from a very young age to tackle by driving up under the ribs for example.
Here in NZ we are happy just to see the youngsters out playing.
Huge difference in backgrounds

Reactions: Worried2Death
Some great ideas there Wiz.
However making the sport "fun " is never going to hack it with the upbringing that Aussie youngsters have.
They're taught from a very young age to tackle by driving up under the ribs for example.
Here in NZ we are happy just to see the youngsters out playing.
Huge difference in backgrounds
Agree.

Problem is we are not Australia. In hindsight, we lost control of the game in NZ to the NRL when the Warriors joined and we have been treated like a cash cow.

Potentially, the sport dies in NZ if we don’t make it fun and rebuild the numbers then look to have an elite schools competition again.

I agree it would be bad for skills development but the standouts could always get put into regional development squads and get the better coaching.

Agree.

Problem is we are not Australia. In hindsight, we lost control of the game in NZ to the NRL when the Warriors joined and we have been treated like a cash cow.

Potentially, the sport dies in NZ if we don’t make it fun and rebuild the numbers then look to have an elite schools competition again.

I agree it would be bad for skills development but the standouts could always get put into regional development squads and get the better coaching.
All good in theory but while our youth games lack the intensity and skill of Aussie youngsters we will always have the need for imports to bring the Warriors to any level of competitiveness

Reactions: wizards rage
All good in theory but while our youth games lack the intensity and skill of Aussie youngsters we will always have the need for imports to bring the Warriors to any level of competitiveness
You only need to look at the results this weekend in the Auckland senior A comp.

Just out of left field thinking…

At school level change the sport into a 9 a side completion for the majority of the year. 2/3 games a night or tournament weekends. Then a short 13 a side schools competition for each schools top team to finish the season. Make the sport fun, lots of games against different teams, participation.

Reasoning:

- Increases amount of teams with lower player numbers
- Caters to the new generations shorter attention span.
- Faster ‘run around with mates’ and less structure
- Speed and less players reduces the weight in the tackle and heavy hits (great for mums!)
- Can be fit around other sports due to short game time.
- Can be used as a training run for non league players to bolster numbers.
- Could be played over summer.
- Short games reduces blowout in mismatches.

Probably not practical but just brainstrormin…
They're already doing 9 a side for u15s and girls grades: https://www.aucklandleague.co.nz/programmes-1/Schools-1/College-2

Great minds think alike!

Reactions: wizards rage
You only need to look at the results this weekend in the Auckland senior A comp.
Do you mean the Fox premiers? Yeah some huge blowouts, Glenora put 120 on Papatoetoe, that's the biggest score I can remember.

No real blowouts in the Senior As division though, most teams just play for fun although there's less than half the teams playing than there was just a decade ago. A few of the small clubs like ECB, Waitemata and Pukekohe have to field their premier team in the Senior As now.

Do you mean the Fox premiers? Yeah some huge blowouts, Glenora put 120 on Papatoetoe, that's the biggest score I can remember.

No real blowouts in the Senior As division though, most teams just play for fun although there's less than half the teams playing than there was just a decade ago. A few of the small clubs like ECB, Waitemata and Pukekohe have to field their premier team in the Senior As now.
Yeah mate. I meant Fox.
More than just one blowout

Reactions: Viking
Yeah mate. I meant Fox.
More than just one blowout
Yeah, Ponsonby and Papatoetoe I sort of expected as they haven't played at Fox level for decades and would have been in Sharman and Phelan not that long ago. Papakura have been outscored 172-0 over the last 2 games though and they won the Fox just 6 years ago. Te Atatu will probably put 100 on them this Saturday.

playdaball

Heritage Member
One comp I’d like to see is an End of season u90kg 4 week comp.
The ARU u85kg ends fairly early and guys are looking for an opportunity to play sport and many would love to return or give RL a shot.
There are also RL guys looking to do something as well and not playing against 120kg guys.
The ARL pre covid used to run a comp aimed at the Asian community - another opp to open the game up to new markets .
Do the ARL have the get up and go to do something like this?

playdaball

Heritage Member
The ARL are looking to bring back the OAR (u 90kg) next year
I really hope this gets off the ground as an important grade as per the ARU u 85kg grade.
My son and about 6 of his mates are looking to return to RL or in some cases play for the first time - a switch from RU. They’ve been in touch with the old club, MARL !!!
Sweet …