Some great ideas there Wiz.Just out of left field thinking…
At school level change the sport into a 9 a side completion for the majority of the year. 2/3 games a night or tournament weekends. Then a short 13 a side schools competition for each schools top team to finish the season. Make the sport fun, lots of games against different teams, participation.
- Increases amount of teams with lower player numbers
- Caters to the new generations shorter attention span.
- Faster ‘run around with mates’ and less structure
- Speed and less players reduces the weight in the tackle and heavy hits (great for mums!)
- Can be fit around other sports due to short game time.
- Can be used as a training run for non league players to bolster numbers.
- Could be played over summer.
- Short games reduces blowout in mismatches.
Probably not practical but just brainstrormin…
However making the sport "fun " is never going to hack it with the upbringing that Aussie youngsters have.
They're taught from a very young age to tackle by driving up under the ribs for example.
Here in NZ we are happy just to see the youngsters out playing.
Huge difference in backgrounds