General Auckland Rugby League General Discussion

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
South Auckland may not be the Warriors only support base but its certainly NZ Rugby Leagues heartland.
That brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye. These days everybody is united behind the Warriors. Back in the day Richmond, Ponsonby, Marist and City Newton regarded themselves as the heartland:cyclops:...individually and fiercely...how times change:)

Reaction score
Horriors2014

Horriors2014

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye. These days everybody is united behind the Warriors. Back in the day Richmond, Ponsonby, Marist and City Newton regarded themselves as the heartland:cyclops:...individually and fiercely...how times change:)
You're forgetting Glenora and Te Atatu-a good following there. West Auckland has a league underbelly below the Rugby surface. Even second division Bay Roskill had a following. Often league and softball families were the same thing.

Although I live in Onehunga now, I still meet Kelston old boys at Warriors games. Old Te Atatu fans. I'd say Westies outnumber Southside nowadays BUT if ticket prices were lower it would swing back. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Y

Although I live in Onehunga now, I still meet Kelston old boys at Warriors games. Old Te Atatu fans. I'd say Westies outnumber Southside nowadays BUT if ticket prices were lower it would swing back. Just my opinion.
Yes you are probably right but Southside makes more NOISE

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
You're forgetting Glenora and Te Atatu-a good following there.
No I didn't !!! :)
Those city clubs thought they were the centre of the universe way back. Manukau, Otahuhu, Mount Wellington, Glenora and Te Atatu, Northcote and North Shore were all on the outskirts.

The Auckland league formed a district scheme based on the Sydney comp in the early 1960's.

There was Northern (Nortcote and North Shore), Western (including Mount Albert and Point Chev), Glenora (No Te Atatu), Southern (Only ONE team), Marist!!! and Central (Richmond, Ponsonby and City Newton). I think there was an Eastern based around Mount Wellington. There must have been a couple I have missed, maybe Otahuhu had their own team. I was only a nipper but I recall the standard was very high. It didn't last because of inter club rivalries, especially in the Central Districts area between Richmond and Ponsonby.

I admit to being a dinosaur:)

Reaction score
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
No I didn't !!! :)
Those city clubs thought they were the centre of the universe way back. Manukau, Otahuhu, Mount Wellington, Glenora and Te Atatu, Northcote and North Shore were all on the outskirts.

The Auckland league formed a district scheme based on the Sydney comp in the early 1960's.

There was Northern (Nortcote and North Shore), Western (including Mount Albert and Point Chev), Glenora (No Te Atatu), Southern (Only ONE team), Marist!!! and Central (Richmond, Ponsonby and City Newton). I think there was an Eastern based around Mount Wellington. There must have been a couple I have missed, maybe Otahuhu had their own team. I was only a nipper but I recall the standard was very high. It didn't last because of inter club rivalries, especially in the Central Districts area between Richmond and Ponsonby.

I admit to being a dinosaur:)
Mangere East, Mt Wellington, Ellerslie and Otahuhu were always there from my memory.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I admit to being a dinosaur
What area of Auckland do the dinosaurs represent as I am not familiar with that side.;)

The renovations are most likely on the lower scale but it will still be interesting to see how much is going to be invested into Mt Smart and to what areas. The parts that have got the bad press during this whole stadium debate would be a good start. There was an issue with a leaky roof listed along with an issue with some glass in the Western Stand? Now both of those should come under the general maintenance of the ground.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Mangere East, Mt Wellington, Ellerslie and Otahuhu were always there from my memory.
Do you remember the district scheme? I remember it was about 1960.

Otahuhu was there the same as Ponsonby and Richmond but I cannot remember whether it was combined into Southern Districts. Places like Mangere East and Te Atatu North
were market gardens then. They were junior feeder clubs. Thanks for reminding me about Ellerslie, I think they were combined with Mount Wellington for Eastern Suburbs.

I cannot find anything on Google about it. The standard was so high because almost all the Kiwis played in Auckland then.

What area of Auckland do the dinosaurs represent as I am not familiar with that side.
League dinosaurs, I will vote for Ponsonby on that one:)

Reaction score

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Eastern United were a combination of Ellerslie City Newton and ( Eastern Suburbs Later to be known as Mt wellington) I could probably name the team .Here goes Gary Phillips Phil Rowe Gene Woolsey Ken McCracken Cyril Eastlake Brian Campbell Keith Wright at half back ,Bill Woolsey Jim Patterson Maurice Scholes Bruce Castle Ray Sine l Tommy Rea l D oug Elwood .Ron Ackland, It was a fabulous team .Some of the other sides were pretty good also

Reaction score
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You're forgetting Glenora and Te Atatu-a good following there. West Auckland has a league underbelly below the Rugby surface. Even second division Bay Roskill had a following. Often league and softball families were the same thing.

Mt Albert for life ... :)

Reaction score

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Remembered a couple of others from the Eastern United squad. Reg Cooke and Ray Townsend who I new personally. Ray later on became player coach for the Mt Wellington senior team. I fairly confident Waka Scholes was also in the squad. As far as I can remember Waka was one of the first to venture off to Australia to play. Ten members of the team played for the Kiwi's at some stage, Phillips, McCracken , Cooke, Eastlake, Ellwood, Campbell, Ackland, Sinel, Castles, and Patterson as hooker.Relying on a 70 year old memory

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Relying on a 70 year old memory
:)...thanks for that...who needs Google!!...and that Eastern side was full of talent...SBW's father and uncle, Jarod McCracken's father, Gary Freeman's father in law and Raelene Castles dad. I bet you can remember the days when Carlaw Park was well attended every Saturday afternoon, as well as the suburban grounds where those games were played. Mount Smart is a great ground but Carlaw was full of ghosts and 8000 people sounded like 80,000.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Friend and Tuarae to captain Auckland

Experienced Auckland first division players Jethro Friend and Jordan Tuarae will join an exclusive club this Saturday, when they captain Auckland into battle against the Tonga New Zealand Residents at Mount Smart Stadium.

Friend will start at dummy-half and Tuarae at standoff, leading an Auckland team which includes reigning SAS Fox Memorial Premiership Player of the Year, Taylor Daniels, and 2018 New Zealand Defence Force Sports Person of the Year, Cole Waaka.

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS

Last season Tuarae played a key role in guiding the Glenora Bears to their first Fox Memorial title in 18 years, while in recent times Friend has established himself as the premier No.9 in the Auckland competition, where he captains the Howick Hornets.

The late withdrawal of Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck (New Zealand Warriors reserve grade) has opened the door for Glenora flyer Simon Luafalealo to get a start on the wing, while Mangere East skipper Howard Brown joins the squad as 18th man.

Auckland v Tonga NZ Residents kicks off at 2.30pm, with Auckland Maori U20 v Toa Samoa Invitational U20 opening the day at 12.30pm.

Auckland

1: Polima Siaki (Glenora)

2: Corey Seator (Mt Albert)

3: Cole Waaka (Northcote)

4: Lafu Feagaiga (Mangere East)

5: Simon Luafalealo (Glenora)

6: Jordan Tuarae (Glenora) - co-captain

7: Reece Joyce (Mt Albert)

8: Jamel Hunt (Papakura)

9: Jethro Friend (Howick) - co-captain

10: Michael Ki (Pt Chevalier)

11: Taylor Daniels (Northcote)

12: Daniel Reuelu-Buchanan (Glenora)

13: Reece Charlie (Howick)

INTERCHANGE (from):

14: Abraham Papali'i (Pt Chevalier)

15: Chris Sio (Pt Chevalier)

16: Matti Tuitama (Pt Chevalier)

17: Moses Oge (Bay Roskill)

18: Howard Brown (Mangere East)

Coach: Grant Pocklington

https://www.sporty.co.nz/aucklandleague/newsarticle/63379

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
:)...thanks for that...who needs Google!!...and that Eastern side was full of talent...SBW's father and uncle, Jarod McCracken's father, Gary Freeman's father in law and Raelene Castles dad. I bet you can remember the days when Carlaw Park was well attended every Saturday afternoon, as well as the suburban grounds where those games were played. Mount Smart is a great ground but Carlaw was full of ghosts and 8000 people sounded like 80,000.
THAnks for the memories. A little before my time but I loved Carlaw Park. My Dad first took me there in the 70s. Sunday afternoons there as well as mid week games under lights . Also played the occasion game there too.

There was the great Ponsonby side, Ellerslie were good for a while, Otahuhu were strong, Richmond had a good team. Then there was Mt Albert, Northcote, Te Atatu had some good years ... imports.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Remembering former rugby league journalist Peter Jessup
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/12/16/remembering-former-rugby-league-journalist-peter-jessup/
Auckland journalist Peter Jessup, who covered the Vodafone Warriors for many years, passed away on Thursday (December 13), aged 60.

After filling news roles with the Auckland Star and the New Zealand Herald, Jessup switched to sport at the Herald where his workload would be principally centred on the Vodafone Warriors and the rugby league code generally.

There was a distinctive fan’s quality to many of his missives which ebbed and flowed in tone as he rode the club’s emotional rollercoaster.
That, in turn, led to some fairly colourful encounters, not least at one media session when a member of the football staff told him in reasonably blunt language that he wasn’t particularly welcome.

As much as Jessup enjoyed rugby league, though, it was his passion for fishing which shone through.

It wasn’t unusual – indeed it was almost commonplace – for him to arrive at Vodafone Warriors media sessions looking like he’d just been fishing (which he invariably had). He’d be kitted out in well-worn Stubbies, Hawaiian shirt or something similar, jandals and sunglasses pushed back on his head. He wrote extensively on fishing, too, including a book titled Fishermen’s Tales.

His journalism career wasn’t short on eventful moments, nor was his life away from the vocation. Witness a close encounter he and a friend had with a gun-toting robber in a West Auckland shopping centre as recently as last year.

“I've had guns pointed at me before so I didn't really panic too much. I was more thinking about how we could get the bastard," a matter-of-fact Jessup told a reporter. He and his mate gave chase before losing the robber leaving the police to take over.

While Jessup finished up with the Herald, his love of rugby league remained. He stopped for a chat at the Glenora Rugby League Club when the Vodafone Warriors were there to support one of the Luke Tipene Celebration Day events in early 2016.

Another encounter was unexpected when Jessup called out from a tram he was driving in Halsey Street a few years back.

There’s no question he lived hard. His friends attest to that, former New Zealand Herald colleague Glenn Jeffrey posting this tribute on Facebook on Friday: “Yesterday Peter Jessup passed away. He was a fearless journalist and father to four wonderful kids. We met when he was chief reporter on the Auckland Star and then worked together when he was police reporter, features editor and sports editor on the New Zealand Herald. He covered the big stories in New Zealand's history, and won the big awards, then wrote about his beloved Vodafone Warriors. Pete was a passionate, skilled fisherman and we spent untold hours at sea together. He was a good man to have next to you in a tight spot, and we had a few. He collapsed suddenly and died after a hard day’s work, with a cold VB in his hand. Peter was the most loyal, funny, courageous, forthright, loving, strong and moral man I have ever known. He was my best friend. Rest in peace Peter.”

The colourful side of his life masked the deep sadness that engulfed Jessup, wife Patrice and their family following the death of their son and brother Shaun in 2007. He was only 15 when he died with an inoperable brain tumour.

Shaun was farewelled at the Glenora Rugby League Club. Peter’s funeral will be held at the same venue at 11.00am on Wednesday (December 19).

The Vodafone Warriors pass on their deepest sympathies to the Jessup family.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
I missed the post about Peter Jessup, R.I.P. It’s a shame the local league post can’t some how be included in the main posts.

Top Bottom