General Auckland Rugby League 2013 Premiership

Congrats Toko. My mate doing the broadcasting with Maori TV said you's got off to a great start but let the Hornets get back in. Reckon you's dominated most of the game and were deserved winners. Mean. Should make for a good show down against Pt. Chev this weekend. Best of luck siana.

RUB THE HAWK lol

Normally a great day out and I recommend it anyone who is free this Saturday. $10 entry with U15 free. Cream of the Auckland crop playing for the right to play on the big stage for top honours.
Thanx Doxs , Showed Howick the LOVE at the end of the game on the score board, rubbed it in hard lol those guys talked a lot of smack when they ran past our boys during the warm up, which our under 11's that were there all heard, that fired the boys up even more lol

Hoping for the best this week toko, finals footy, a lot of people still writing us off, the boys have a point to prove now - training was solid on Tuesday, big turnout and the buzz is positive in the team; We definitely owe the Pirates some LOVE after the last game we played against them, hoping some of the hitter's give a couple of there singer's a tickle during the game ;)

RUB THE HAWK...

Good to see the young centres fire in recent weeks - the papatoetoe centre/wing Maumolo is a gun. Should be in the Junior side permanently.
Where is Kavienga? Not playing NYC.

Hawks played with heaps of enthusiasm

Still think their weakness is their Spine to control the game.
I like the young fullback - plenty of spark and heart.

They have makeshift hookers that are good runners - but dont pass.
Howick were the better team throughout the comp...but played horrendous after watching the replay.
VK is injured hammy; that's what a few of us say about Maumalo, he should be in 20's but apparently he's got bad defensive reads why he doesn't get game time?

Our fullback has surprised us all this year, his attitude to training an on field has been out standing IMO played a game with him last year, thought he was to raw then - 12 months makes a difference.

Congrats Toko. My mate doing the broadcasting with Maori TV said you's got off to a great start but let the Hornets get back in. Reckon you's dominated most of the game and were deserved winners. Mean. Should make for a good show down against Pt. Chev this weekend. Best of luck siana.

RUB THE HAWK lol

Normally a great day out and I recommend it anyone who is free this Saturday. $10 entry with U15 free. Cream of the Auckland crop playing for the right to play on the big stage for top honours.
Thanx Doxs , Showed Howick the LOVE at the end of the game on the score board, rubbed it in hard lol those guys talked a lot of smack when they ran past our boys during the warm up, which our under 11's that were there all heard, that fired the boys up even more lol

Hoping for the best this week toko, finals footy, a lot of people still writing us off, the boys have a point to prove now - training was solid on Tuesday, big turnout and the buzz is positive in the team; We definitely owe the Pirates some LOVE after the last game we played against them, hoping some of the hitter's give a couple of there singer's a tickle during the game ;)

RUB THE HAWK...

Good to see the young centres fire in recent weeks - the papatoetoe centre/wing Maumolo is a gun. Should be in the Junior side permanently.

Howick were the better team throughout the comp...but played horrendous after watching the replay.
Same questions I have been asking myself this season from your observations, lack of combinations has been a big problem IMO.

The counties Stingrays team this season has some interesting selections.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
^ :dislike:
1175619_10153133098815360_965821566_n.png
Will be going to support Mt. Wellington but couldnt care less who wins the final of the Fox. Hate both teams equally TBH. Going to be a good day though if the weather comes to the party...

BTW, the Phelan Shield final is being played after the Sharman Cup because the Phelan and Fox final are being filmed and televised by Maori TV. Dont ask about why the Sharman isnt though???

Reactions: ramraider78
Will be going to support Mt. Wellington but couldnt care less who wins the final of the Fox. Hate both teams equally TBH. Going to be a good day though if the weather comes to the party...

BTW, the Phelan Shield final is being played after the Sharman Cup because the Phelan and Fox final are being filmed and televised by Maori TV. Dont ask about why the Sharman isnt though???
Happened last year, Maori TV dictate what times and the order the finals are played in because of broadcasting times from what I've heard. Doxs I'll be surprised if the Warriors choke in the final, they were undefeated all season, should be a good bash n crash game lol. I'm more interested to see who wins the Shaman and Phelan this week and looking forward to the National comp starting soon.

Reactions: mt.wellington

RUB THE HAWK...

Same questions I have been asking myself this season from your observations, lack of combinations has been a big problem IMO.

Where is the Counties prems team? Who is the coach?
Hope they have a good mix of players.

Should be mainly Mangere & Howick players.
The top Kura stars like Upu & Uasi & only a few Leopards

Any Sharman players?[DOUBLEPOST=1376465779][/DOUBLEPOST]

Happened last year, Maori TV dictate what times and the order the finals are played in because of broadcasting times from what I've heard. Doxs I'll be surprised if the Warriors choke in the final, they were undefeated all season, should be a good bash n crash game lol. I'm more interested to see who wins the Shaman and Phelan this week and looking forward to the National comp starting soon.

Yeah its massive the Fox final is live - which is a first.
I guess they cant play it on Sunday because everybody would be watching the Warriors.

Mt Wellington - are a whole new team from previous years - when they had a tongan rugby team lol.
Didnt they get in like the biggest fight in decades

They are a team of young juniors who have come back to the club.
Awesome story imo

Where is the Counties prems team? Who is the coach?
Hope they have a good mix of players.

Should be mainly Mangere & Howick players.
The top Kura stars like Upu & Uasi & only a few Leopards

Any Sharman players?[DOUBLEPOST=1376465779][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah its massive the Fox final is live - which is a first.
I guess they cant play it on Sunday because everybody would be watching the Warriors.

Mt Wellington - are a whole new team from previous years - when they had a tongan rugby team lol.
Didnt they get in like the biggest fight in decades

They are a team of young juniors who have come back to the club.
Awesome story imo
Same coach as last year, Pete Ciapolli (my spelling is off), hasn't coached a fox team this year though but haven't heard bad feedback about him either. Seen the training squad list from memory 4x from Kura edwards,poching,setefano,uasi, 11x Hawks, 4x Otahuhu, 5x or 6x Howick - more to be added when Vulcans and 20's players become available. IMO thought the selectors should of looked at Rewa,Pap, and Otara for any wildcard players - I know they are Shaman but surely there is a player or two who could make the cut. We had players picked out of the Grand Final last year for Counties. Akarana is stacked with experience Mt Albert have about 12x players the rest spread out, from memory.

Yeah that fight was in 2011, a few big double digit bans were handed down to the Warriors; Must be some talent there now, from some of the scores they handed out this season that I have seen.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ARL Annual Awards Dinner
August 15, 2013 | Author: Shanice Wiki

The Auckland Rugby League Annual Awards Dinner was held last night and congratulations to the following recipients.

awww.aucklandleague.co.nz_wp_content_uploads_2013_08_ARL_Logo_No_Background_252x300.gif

AUCKLAND RUGBY LEAGUE AWARD RECIPIENTS

Club Volunteer of the Year Award:
Ray Jensen – Northcote

Administrator of the Year Award: Mike Smith – Bay Roskill

Konica Minolta Club of the Year Award: Otara

Kiwi Shield:Mt Albert

Lance Painter Rose Bowl “Top Goal Kicker of the Year”: Cody Walker – Mt Albert

Masters of Rugby League “Top Try Scorer of the Year”:James Blackwell – Mt Albert

Women’s Player of the Year: Honey Hireme – Papakura

Appliance Shed Fox Memorial “ Individual Club Player of the Year”

Bay Roskill - Jonathan Wea

Glenora – Aaron Booth

Howick – ZebastIan Luisi

Mangere East - Francis Toetu

Marist - Kaleni Fraiser

Mt Albert - Eddy Purcell

Northcote - Tane Hart

Otahuhu - Marcus Marsh

Papakura - Visesio Setefano

Pt Chevalier - Ian Hayes

Carlaw Park Shield “Premier Manager of the Year”:Jayne Campbell – Otahuhu

Kahawai Productions “Rookie of the Year”: Matiu Love-Henry - Pt Chevalier

Vulcan’s Awards

Rookie of the Year – John Palavi

Player of the Year Runner Up – Tangi Ropati

Player of the Year – Suaia Matagi

Crown Lift Trucks “Coach of the Year”:Steve Buckingham – Mt Albert

George Rainey Medal Appliance Shed Fox Memorial “Team of the Year”

Prop: Visesio Setefano Papakura

Hooker: Semisi Ma’u Marist

2nd Row Ian Hayes Pt Chev

Loosie: Marcus Marsh Otahuhu

Halfback Aaron Booth Glenora

Standoff Trent Wallace Mt Albert

Centre Jonathan Carl Pt Chev

Wing Francis Toetu Mangere East

Fullback Zebastian Luisi Howick

Appliance Shed Fox Memorial Lion Red “Player of the Year”:Zebastian Luisi – Howick

https://www.aucklandleague.co.nz/2013/08/6077/#more-6077

Congrats to all clubs and players involved...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL)

2013 Fox Memorial Shield final will screen LIVE on Maori Television this weekend. Saturday 17 August 2013, 3.00pm - Mt Albert Lions v Pt Chevalier Pirates. Sharman Cup will be screened delayed on Sunday.

If you want to be at the three games Sharman Cup, Phelan Shield & Fox check this site for tickets https://www.eventfinder.co.nz/2013/...emiership-grand-finals-day/auckland/henderson

1184910_226575077493646_1595435350_n.jpg
Should have given you all a heads up but I attended this tonight at the Oats club. Had 5 former Otahuhu players and Kiwis captains on stage doing a Q&A with Gordan Gibbons as MC. To sit there for 2 hours and hear their stories of their time as juniors at Otahuhu (Wiki being a Scorpion jnr. Thought Id mention that before I get the lynch mob hunting me down!) battles they fought, honour of wearing the black jersey and getting the (c), favourite memories, playing on with injuries...

Roy Christian spoke about how frightening it was to go from club footy to the Kiwis to play Australia and the Poms. His greatest memories were anytime they beat Australia which was 4 times when he played.

Mark Graham was great to listen to. He spoke about how he just wanted to play prems for Oats growing up. He played with prems Graeme Lowe, who went onto to coach him, and said they would both sit there as kids and dream about playing for the Kiwis and how they would go about beating Australia. One of his favourite memories was the 3rd test against Australia at Carlaw Park when they won 18-0. He said the team went to clap to the crowd in the stands and the crowd all stood up and the energy they gave off had him scared that they were going to storm the field. Also spoke about the huge fight they had against the Poms over there when the police were involved! Really funny stuff. He played on with a broken ankle. Another favourite moment was the Auckland Rugby League team and season of 1977.

Hugh MacGahan also spoke about his time at the club and a lot of his stories involved Mark as they both played for Oats and the Kiwis around the same time. He was named captain because Mark walked out and Olsen Filipaina, who was (vc), didnt want the gig but suggested Hugh get it. Two tests later Hugh gets demoted after Mark decides to come back. Funny exchange between the 2 about that. Hugh was actually scouted by the late legend Arthur Beetson for the Roosters after he had gone over with the Kiwis U18 team to play Queensland. When he was given a contract to mull over, he met up with Lowe who happened to be with Wayne Pearce and asked him whether it was a good deal. Wayne took a look at his contract for $5000 and told him it was a good deal and if he wanted to play first grade then go for it. Hugh obviously takes the deal then after awhile he sees Pearce again who tells him that his deal was actually the worse one he had ever seen and he was surprised he had taken it. Pearce at the time was on some $30,000.

Ritchie Barnett also spoke about his time at the club. He was also scouted by Beetson for the Sharks. Beetson rang his house and first spoke to his mother who didnt have a clue who he was. Richie didnt hear a thing Arthur was saying because he was so shocked and overwhelmed. He reckon his first deal was for only $5000 as well but like Hugh he didnt care about the money. He was just happy to be fulfilling his childhood dream of playing ARL/NRL. His greatest memory was the 97 test they won against Australia at Albany Stadium. He said he didnt know what it was but that was the best crowd he had ever played in front of EVER! Also spoke about the time he was knocked unconcious by Wendell Sailor and how the doctors told him he was close to not pulling through. It was pretty serious. 8 months later he was named captained for the WC and won the player of the day and named FB of the comp. What nobody knew was that he still had huge demons about returning and hadnt slept in 2 weeks. He was shitting himself but because he was the captain and the other players were looking to him for support he couldnt show it. Favourite coach was Endacott.

Wiki said he remembers his first test against PNG over there. Said it was a huge eye opener! The field was like playing on concrete and there were stones all over the place. Tear gas was thrown and the crowd were kept at bay by police whacking them with huge lengths of bamboo. He spoke about the whole Warriors/Canberra contract fiasco and said that he did sign for the Warriors but then when the Raiders offered him a contract he changed his mind and signed with them without telling either party of the others contract. He reckons it didnt hit him that he had won a Grand Final (94) until 2 years later. His best memories were the 94 GF with the Green Machine and the 2005 Tri-Nations final against Oz where they won 24-0. The enormity of that test and the result had him in tears after the game. One story he related was when he was playing for the Raiders U21, Tim Sheens brought a host of clubmen and players to come check out 'this Kiwi fella play' and within 10 minutes of playing he got sent off for the game. That was start of a yearly pilgrimage to 'Phillip Street' as he put it. I can only assume the Phillips St is where the NRL judiciary are situated.

Great night and well worth the effort. Could have listened to their war stories for ages. Ritchie Blackmore and Sir Peter Leitch were also there. The butch brought in a signed Warriors jersey that was auctioned off for $350 and a raffle was sold for a signed Otahuhu jersey of the captains. All proceeds went to the clubs junior teams. Made me proud of Otahuhu clubs great history. Also only cost a gold coin!!!

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Photos from the Otahuhu Leopards Kiwis Captains night...

1002577_227463830738104_550815736_n.jpg

Ruben Wiki, Hugh McGahan, Greame Lowe, Roy Christian, Mark Graham and Ritchie Blackmore. All Otahuhu and Kiwi legends. Kiwis jersey signed by all Otahuhu Kiwis captains that will be hung on the club walls and an Otahuhu Centennial jersey signed by the captains that was raffled off. Note the spelling of McGahan on both jerseys hahaha.

1185932_10201242901489883_1957743638_n.jpg

Starting from back left to right. Hugh McGahan, Mark Graham, Ruben Wiki, Gordon Gibbons, Roy Christian and Ritchie Blackmore...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
2013 Phelan Shield winners Mt. Wellington Warriors
1012462_10153149389645360_483385169_n.jpg

Mt. Wellington Warriors beat Glenfield Greyhounds 39-10 to go undefeated for the whole season. Man of the Match: Manasa Conawa (Mt Wellington)

2013 Sharman Cup winners Richmond Bulldogs
552648_10153149140395360_1820020008_n.jpg

Richmond Bulldogs beat the Otara Scorpions to win the Sharman Cup 2013 final. They have won promotion to the Fox and the win caps off their 100 year centennial celebrations. A replay of the game will be on Maori TV tomorrow at 1:30pm (Sunday 17th August).

2013 Fox Memorial Shield winners Pt Chev
1170842_10153149761450360_956064903_n.jpg

Pt Chev Pirates have won the top prize in this years Auckland Rugby League competition beating Mt. Albert Lions 24-22. This completes a stunning return to Fox grade after being the Phelan Shield whipping boys for years. They have won each of the 3 grades in 4 years...

Congrats to all team, players, clubs and people involved in bringing us another great season of grassroots footy. Some age group footy at Cornwall Park tomorrow if anyones interested...

Buck777

Congrats to Pt Chev ( maybe I'll put their cheating antics last year to rest). To beat a good Mt Albert team you deserve the accolades. Good to see the central teams of Pt Chev, Mt Albert and Richmond being the strong teams of the local comp. good to see Otahuhu wasn't there lol

Great, another bought team of players wins the Fox - how many Actual Pt Chev Juniors are in that Team :eek: At least Mt Albert had Purcell :p

Richmond IMO could be the wildcard for top 4 next year if they are smart and bleed there 18's and some of the 20's through because from watching those 2x teams yesterday they have talent to burn.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Great, another bought team of players wins the Fox - how many Actual Pt Chev Juniors are in that Team :eek: At least Mt Albert had Purcell :p

Richmond IMO could be the wildcard for top 4 next year if they are smart and bleed there 18's and some of the 20's through because from watching those 2x teams yesterday they have talent to burn.
The Bulldogs seemed very well represented at the age group finals yesterday. Should win it in a couple years if they retain their youngsters and no other clubs bring out the cheque book to sign them...

Reactions: ramraider78