General Auckland or New Zealand Warriors?

Auckland Warriors or New Zealand Warriors.

• Auckland

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters
My gripe with "New Zealand" isn't "how dare you not call the Warriors Auckland because that's where their home ground is!" as much as "Okay, we're calling the Warriors 'New Zealand', ah, what do we refer to the Kiwis as?" Can you imagine the confusion of a charity match between the New Zealand Warriors and New Zealand (whatever the arrangement with New Zealand Warriors' New Zealand players as to which team they turn out for)??

I'd happily go with Aotearoa, someother name that A: Acknowledges that - for the forseeable future - the Warriors are New Zealand's only representative in the NRL and want to acknowledge that and B: Doesn't muddy the wwaters (or more accurately, allow Australian commentators to muddy the waters) with the differentiating between the New Zealand based Warriors and the New Zealand representative national team of which some New Zealand Warriors may be part.

Reactions: fanrrior and Jay M

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Proud JAFA here but happy enough with the New Zealand Warriors. Fact is that the Auckland Warriors as a company was wound down by Eric Watson and dissolved. The only thing that actually remains is the NRL licence, logo and Warriors part. The change of name wasnt only to appeal to a broader but to start a new company. A new company that did away with the shortsighted failures of the previous bunch. The mismanagement of idiots like Ian Robson and Tainui.

Im happy enough with the way the things have been going since 2001. It could be worse. We could have gone the way of the Gold Coast Chargers, Illawarra Steelers, North Sydney Bears, South Queensland Crushers, Newtown Jets...

should always be the Auckland Warriors

try finding a provincial pub that puts the Warriors on when theres some rugby on at the same time.

when these hayseed hicktowns start respecting League instead of bending over & blindly accepting their rectum inserted union brainwashing only then should the Warriors have NZ before their name.

that's the way it would be if it was up to me

Prefer Auckland Warriors as NZ Warriors sounds too much like a national team as opposed to a club side.

Obviously, the club is trying to represent the entire nation so maybe just sticking with Warriors would be good. I'd still prefer a blue home shirt when playing in Auckland though.

Reactions: bruce
Auckland Warriors. To me only one team has earned themselves the right to call themselves New Zealand and cool, that's Kiwi's. To call any other team "New Zealand" even if it is Warriors is irrensible to me and I find it really disgusting, it's almost disgraceful to me, that the club has been allowed to get away with it for so long when it shouldn't be allowed. I'm sorry if I seem way too intense about this but it is something I feel strongly about so make I no apologies to people when I tell him that the name needs to go back to being the Auckland Warriors. Or Auckland Mt Wellington Warriors. Or Auckland-Waikato Warriors. Oooo Auckland-Waikato Warriors ! That looks good ! But then I'm Tanui, so of course it does ... ;)

Mixed feelings...

Always really grates when I hear them referred to as, "New Zealand" - which doesn't in the least reflect the fact that we're a franchise (and that we've had and have many Australians play for us), and not a national test team. As others have said, the only team in league that should be referred to as "New Zealand," are the Kiwis.

However, unless there is a second NZ franchise coming I don't think we should go back to Auckland, for many of the reasons already stated. In fact, even if there were to be another franchise in NZ, I'd still probably prefer us to not go back to Auckland - would probably prefer something like "Northern Warriors" or something along those lines... If the other team was the "Southern Somethingorothers" it would immediately invoke that rivalry. For now, I'm happy for us to just be referred to as "The Warriors".

The team has been based in Auckland for 20 years so of course they should be the Auckland Warriors.. Playing trial games around parts of NZ and your token Welly,Hamilton games doesn't really reflect the team as a 'New Zealand' team, the majority of games will always be played in Aux hence the Auckland Warriors should be our teams name, that's just one opinion among many.

Isn't it the Vodaphone Warriors. IMO it is too parochial calling it the Auckland Warriors and a bit insulting to the rest of us who live elsewhere. There are over a million people in Auckland, which means there is about 3 and 1/2 million who don't. Do not overestimate Auckland's importance to the rest of us, other than bleeding us white to provide your Mayor with James Bond bathrooms.

You could argue that there is too much of an emphasis on Auckland recruitment, to the detriment of the Warriors missing out on players like Tohu Harris. Auckland has been, and always will be the spiritual home of NZ League. That is not disputed. However, the Warriors are a national franchise as it stands, all you will do with such a name change would be to alienate those ofus that don't want to be JAFA's.
All that coming from a fan who lives in a town who's only claim to fame is a three day new years eve druggie festival.....

Not that I'm against three day druggie festivals fyi....

• Haha
Reactions: Worried2Death

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Hi sorry what's the difference between Akarana Falcons and Auckland Vulcan's? Like A and B aye?
Akarana Falcons represents the northern part of Auckland from Otahuhu onwards. Counties Stingrays represent Auckland from Otahuhu downwards.

Auckland Vulcans are the regional rep team for both those teams.

Auckland is broken up into two teams for the Pirtek Cup to balance the teams a bit more due to Auckland's much larger player pool...

Akarana Falcons represents the northern part of Auckland from Otahuhu onwards. Counties Stingrays represent Auckland from Otahuhu downwards.

Auckland Vulcans are the regional rep team for both those teams.

Auckland is broken up into two teams for the Pirtek Cup to balance the teams a bit more due to Auckland's much larger player pool...

Ohhh yup, wow thanks cheers mate haha

I don't like hearing aussies calling them the Kiwis and New Zealand.
And the New Zealand Breakers is not right either.

Te Ika-a-Maui Warriors! Ah sh!+ I already voted on Auckland, oh well. If only I could change my vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sup42
I'd be fine if they just became "the Warriors".

Go back to "Auckland Warriors" if the NRL ever allow a second New Zealand time. But not before then. So it's probably "New Zealand Warriors" forever, then...

Let's face it, how many league fans would jump on the bandwagon of the non-Auckland NRL team simply because they aren't based in Auckland?

Reactions: matiunz
just the "Warriors"

you dont hear them calling the eels sydney parra or australian parra

i know it does work for other teams like north queensland or melbourne but we are a one country team but i dont like the sound of the nz warriors either

would just prefer " the warriors"

I think it was a really stupid Marketing mistake. Failed. Half the time aussies still call it Auckland Warriors. I mean what should Melbourne be called, The Queensland Central Coast New Zealand Melbourne Storm? No. Its the Auckland Warriors. Its the beating the Auckland Team gave a full Aussie team in 87? that really put us into NRL consideration.