Ata Hingano

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score

TEEN SENSATION KEEPS WARRIORS’ HALVES ON NOTICE
Written by JOE McDONOUGH, April 23, 2016

THE WARRIORS may be pitting veteran Thomas Leuluai in the halves with Shaun Johnson but if that doesn’t pan out Andrew McFadden has another very strong option in young gun Ata Hingano.

Hingano is still young enough to run around in Holden Cup, but he’s been promoted to reserve grade to prepare him for the bruising physicality of the NRL. And under the watchful eye of Warriors NSW Cup coach Stacey Jones, Hingano isn’t just competing against the older guys, he’s dominating.

RLW was at North Sydney Oval two weeks ago as Hingano tore the Bears to shreds. The No.6 scored a try, set up another and made line-breaks at will in their 30-12 win.

Jones wouldn’t be surprised to see the 19-year-old crack the NRL this season, particularly with the season-ending injury to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck which has forced Tuimoala Lolohea to shift back to fullback.

“I don’t think we need to rush him in at this stage, but who knows? At some stage this season if he’s playing decent footy in NSW Cup then ‘Cappy’ [McFadden] might decide to give him a run,” the NZ great says.

“He’s someone we’re trying to put a lot of time into. He’s got a lot of skill about him, he loves to carry the ball and he’s got a really good left-foot kick, which takes the pressure off any team.

“NSW Cup is a similar speed to Holden Cup but obviously more physical, and Ata has handled the step up really well.

“He just needs to string a few of these performances together for us to be considered.”

Hingano took on the defensive line regularly and he says that’s something McFadden has challenged him to do.

“[McFadden] is always talking to me about different ways I can improve my game,” he reveals.

“Two weeks ago I didn’t really have a strong running game and he took me up about it. Having him and Stacey is a major help, especially in my position, it definitely makes it easier.”

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/teen-sensation-keeps-warriors-halves-notice/?adbsc=social_20160422_60818776&adbid=1129566613751247&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

Reaction score
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
How do you guys see our spine looking at finals time next Year?

Reaction score

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Always on the ball , Nice What I meant was do you think we'll see tui forced into
the back line ,, Centre or wing ?
What happens with Roach, an Jazz?

Reaction score
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Forced into? Playing on a weekly basis. I'm a big Ata Hingano fan, but he's not at Tuimoala Lolohea level yet. Tui's far more explosive and an infinitely better defender. I think Ata's future is more dependent on Thomas Leuluai. Crazyeyes is the next cab off the rank in the halves, which is where Ata needs to aim to be at. At the moment he won't be displacing Shaun or Tui in fairness. He just needs to be next cab off the rank, and when an opportunity inevitably comes, ensure he goes well to make it tough to drop him.

Jazz Tevaga and Nathaneal Roache I think are even more reliant on Thomas. I think they're ideal candidates for that #14 jersey. You need a bloke who can play multiple positions given the limited interchange I think. Thomas is currently the man for that role (assuming RTS is playing), because he can play halves and hooker, and at a pinch he'll have a crack at back row and centre. Jazz currently is a backrower and hooker combo, and Roache is a hooker, halves, outside back cover player.

For blokes like Jazz, Nathaneal and Ata, patience is a virtue. Keep doing what they're doing and a spot usually becomes available through injury - if you're good enough, you can cement yourself.

Reaction score
InsideBall

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Yeah, we have an exciting batch of youngsters in playmaking positions coming through - between Tui, Ata, Nate and Jazz... there's some real quality and enormous potential there.

Add in the fact that they're behind the likes of SJ, RTS and Bully, and I think we could very, very easily say that our playmaking stocks have never looked so healthy.

Reaction score
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hingano took on the defensive line regularly and he says that’s something McFadden has challenged him to do.

“[McFadden] is always talking to me about different ways I can improve my game,” he reveals.

“Two weeks ago I didn’t really have a strong running game and he took me up about it. Having him and Stacey is a major help, especially in my position, it definitely makes it easier.”
Great to see that Cappy and Stacy are trying to get the young guys doing the right things at this level before promoting them and being stuck with their faults at first grade level.
From the games I watched he looks impressive but its a huge step up to first grade.

Reaction score

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
We debated where Hingano maybe ranked within our prospective halves, it's evident now he's skipped ahead of both Robson and Lino and will be playing 6 if Tommy ends up injured, and with 19 rounds of regular season to play that could be a distinct possibility.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Ata Hingano is the arguably the first Warriors junior since 2008 to be developed properly.

I was a big fan of the NYC but looking back at the quality of players it has produced for us Im no longer a supporter. Its the players development that has really suffered. Why someone who was rated highly as a junior such as Carlos Tuimavave played 4 years NYC is ridiculous.

Wasnt a fan of Matt Elliott but his one legacy he can be proud of was bringing the NSW Cup team in house and developing the current pathways we see now that has Ata Hingano playing reserve grade while still having 2 years of NYC eligibility left.

I like what Ive seen of Ata. He seems poised and mature beyond his years. Isnt afraid to take on the line and has a more traditional halves skillset as opposed to SJs more spontaneous talents.

Whether he goes all the way is still unknown but at least the Warriors are doing right by him and his development. In a lot of ways its up to Ata himself as he's been given every possible opportunity to crack it...

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wasnt a fan of Matt Elliott but his one legacy he can be proud of was bringing the NSW Cup team in house and developing the current pathways we see now that has Ata Hingano playing reserve grade while still having 2 years of NYC eligibility left.
Agree with you on all points, but particularly this one. Every player that's been in NSW Cup prior to debuting has definitely benefitted. I would say Lisone is one of the few recent players to have come straight from the u20s, isn't he?

Imagine how good Konrad could have been if he'd been developed properly ...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
I would say Lisone is one of the few recent players to have come straight from the u20s, isn't he?
Last few have been Sam Lisone, Tuimoala Lolohea and Solomone Kata.

We started getting it right only recently with the likes of Ata Hingano, Bradley Abbey, Bunty Afoa, Toafofoa Sipley, Nathaniel Roache, Erin Clark, Jazz Tevega, Marata Niukore and Paul Tuli.

Reaction score

Centurion

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Been following Ata for a while now - HUGE prospect (can't overstate that) that we need to hold on to.

Reaction score

Jordan G

Was hoping to look in this thread to see he was re-signing. Still off contract this year isn't he? I'd be surprised if we let him go and it sounds like he's getting a pretty good education with Stacey/Cappy in his ear.

Reaction score
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Last few have been Sam Lisone, Tuimoala Lolohea and Solomone Kata.

We started getting it right only recently with the likes of Ata Hingano, Bradley Abbey, Bunty Afoa, Toafofoa Sipley, Nathaniel Roache, Erin Clark, Jazz Tevega, Marata Niukore and Paul Tuli.
That's one thing cappy does well is bring them through we've had a heap
of rookies an most have done OK

Reaction score
Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Hope the kid has a blinder. Only 19 as well so after tonight will have played all 3 grades this year like Roache.

Reaction score

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
There's a chance Luke might play. Hope that doesn't drop him out of the 17. For my money, I'd start him and put Lulu on the bench if Luke plays with Roache dropping out.

Reaction score
TheCool

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Warriors' 2015 rookie of the year Ata Hingano convicted of drink-driving

Hingano's lawyer said he had no previous history before the courts and was given credit for an early guilty plea.

Hingano was named Warriors Rookie of the Year in 2015 and was a bolter for the Warriors 2016 Auckland Nines team.

Along with his rugby league accolades, he was awarded a Counties Manukau sporting excellence award when he was named Counties Manukau junior sportsman of the year in 2014.

Hingano was signed to the Warriors from Pakuranga Rugby League after being scouted in 2013.

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said Hingano contacted the club the day after the incident.

He said Hingano apologised and put his actions down to a "bad decision."

Doyle did not believe Hingano's conviction would have any effect on his rugby league career.

"He's a good kid, he's got no other issues, no other past issues, no other dramas and he was certainly very remorseful," he said.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/85456326/warriors-rookie-of-the-year-convicted-of-drinkdriving

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom