General Asi vs CHT Thread

Waiting For Premiership

Waiting For Premiership

You nailed it there, he's played 11 games to Chanel's 44. He'd have played a similar amount of games, if he were that good.

I like the kid, played with heart, but let's not count our chickens. We've got a very good player in Chanel this year as he's starting to come into it. I'd love for Asi to own a role, but he's come up playing in the centres and the only other option to play in the halves at the moment who was fit was Siro - so let's be realistic.
So he has played 11 first grade games...Reece must have played ...gosh how many ? Maybe 1 and we said he was a star ? Whats the difference. This kid is good very good !!! He deserves his spot next game. So when Chanel Harris-Tavita is fit again, Brownie has a problem till then number 6 is his to lose. Please nobody mention Kodi to come back or even on bench 😢

Reactions: 1 user
Five&Last

Five&Last

So he has played 11 first grade games...Reece must have played ...gosh how many ? Maybe 1 and we said he was a star ? Whats the difference. This kid is good very good !!! He deserves his spot next game. So when Chanel Harris-Tavita is fit again, Brownie has a problem till then number 6 is his to lose. Please nobody mention Kodi to come back or even on bench 😢
Reece had massive wraps before he debuted. He had only played less than a handful of games against grown men before he debuted for us.

Asi has been in the Cowboys top 30 squad for coming up three years now and hasn't broken through for whatever reasons.

Big difference there.

Reactions: 1 users

Dunedin warrior

It was a good performance from Asi, he was enthusiastic and had some great touches. But it was one game. I’m guessing Chanel Harris-Tavita will be out for 2-3 more weeks so plenty of time for him to push his claims.

He’d have to play very well to push Chanel Harris-Tavita out of the team for now, but it would be a good problem to have.

Mind you at this stage neither are signed beyond this season.

Waiting For Premiership

Waiting For Premiership

Reece had massive wraps before he debuted. He had only played less than a handful of games against grown men before he debuted for us.

Asi has been in the Cowboys top 30 squad for coming up three years now and hasn't broken through for whatever reasons.

Big difference there.
Of course he had massive wraps hes a boy like Sam Walker but they are stars now Asi from a boy to a young man loves the Warriors. Now would you give your first game for them what YOU know u can do without over playing your hand ??? Knowing that you might fuck up and never play in that positon again . That mind set requires guts and total belief in yourself. He has it !!! Chanel Harris-Tavita has played 4x as many games so what ? We have heard how Chanel Harris-Tavita is trying to get his head and life under control. Asi shows he has his happy and content. We dont know what happened at Cowboys but for the debut he has shown he knows the score.

JaggedJ

Remember Adam Keighran on debut when we beat the Dogs 40-6? Moon scoring 4 tries soon after being moved to centre? Rovelli debuting off the bench at hooker and actually stepping a defender?

We'll see how things are looking 6-7 weeks in. One game is just one game.

Reactions: 13 users
defensivebomb

defensivebomb

The guy has had one great game. It would be very warriors to throw a contract at him now, at the expense of Chanel Harris-Tavita, when we have a sample size of one game

Remember when Walsh joined and it was like the second coming of Christ? Then we soon realised he’s actually human

I hope we have smarter operators managing our contracts at the club

Reactions: 2 users
Waiting For Premiership

Waiting For Premiership

The guy has had one great game. It would be very warriors to throw a contract at him now, at the expense of Chanel Harris-Tavita, when we have a sample size of one game

Remember when Walsh joined and it was like the second coming of Christ? Then we soon realised he’s actually human

I hope we have smarter operators managing our contracts at the club
Totally agree. But Warriors have got first pickings on him. They are not going to say heres a contract because of yesterday's game . He is the playmaker that they WILL offer a contract to before seasons end

Sup42

Sup42

All I care about was not the flash stuff he did, it was Asis decision to seize the day.

He attacked in defence and played smart in attack.

It was a sensational debut.

This talk of being a poor trainer is terrible, there is not one article on it, just some random from an opposition club feeling salty now he's gone.

Poor trainers don't defend like that because they can't, they can't keep the defensive pressure on for 80 minutes.

He looks very fit for a guy with no fg games in yonks.

As for vs Chanel Harris-Tavita, we'll there is actually enough time to get a sound read on Asi, Chanel Harris-Tavita will be out for weeks.

If Asi keeps the pressure up....why would you pre vote now? How the hell do you know?

If Asi is in a purple patch like SJs first year, why wouldn't he enter the conversation?

Let's check back in after four games you will have a pretty good idea what kind of player this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Fonzies Tram Line

Fonzies Tram Line

He looks to have good footy IQ. I'll give him a few more games, but he fills a void if he has the smarts we are lacking.

All I care about was not the flash stuff he did, it was Asis decision to seize the day.

6Again

Decent enough debut but I’ll check back here when Asi’s played his forecasted 8-10 games and come up against a few of the top sides I think.

Reactions: 4 users
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

Remember Adam Keighran on debut when we beat the Dogs 40-6? Moon scoring 4 tries soon after being moved to centre? Rovelli debuting off the bench at hooker and actually stepping a defender?

We'll see how things are looking 6-7 weeks in. One game is just one game.
Well said. And we have discarded a few halves in recent years who we were told were the next Laurie Daley. They are nobodies today. I hope he does kick on. He didn't embarrass himself at all. He kicked out on the full but Shaun Johnson does too now and again.

But yeah. Talent is one thing. First grade level is another thing.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Lol calm down - it’s ONE game. Wait to see if he can string a few good ones together before this is even considered

BeastMode

BeastMode

Well said. And we have discarded a few halves in recent years who we were told were the next Laurie Daley. They are nobodies today. I hope he does kick on. He didn't embarrass himself at all. He kicked out on the full but Shaun Johnson does too now and again.

But yeah. Talent is one thing. First grade level is another thing.

I still remember people here creaming themselves over Lolohea after a great debut…. once he got found out, people turned to Ata Hingano like he was our poster boy for years to come .. massive premature creaming if I ever I saw one

Wrighty

Wrighty

The Cowboys fans were very interested in how Asi would fare for the warriors and tracked his performance - here are the comments from their forum

• For mine, you couldn't have asked for a better debut from Asi so far.

Big booming kick on him, good defence and great kick for the try
  • Been a great game from Asi given the circumstances
  • Big tackle by Asi. I don't get why we didn't give him more of a chance. Kid had all the skills, best of all a long kicking game which you generally either have or you dont.
  • It's easy getting up for this game where he is trying to earn the respect of his new team. You'd be flabbergasted if he wasn't putting in a big shift in this game.
  • What a ball by Asi
  • Beautiful Asi
  • Asi has kept Warriors in it with all his play
  • Needed an Asi long kick there
  • Asi very bad error. Out on the full! Going to cost the Warriors the game probably.
  • Poor Asi, has to make up for it somehow
  • Should defend an error
  • How'd Asi go?
  • Very good IMO
  • Better than any game he ever played for us, with the possible exception of his debut vs the Panthers
  • In all fairness Asi only got to play 10 games for us. Let me just say I feel he maybe didn’t get the same opportunities as others. The base of a quality half was there but we never really seriously considered him as a long term option imo
  • Asi looked really good in the blue Warriors jersey, at home tbh…I always like bigger body halves, want to see them kick on.
    What about that first long kick into space by him-seen that before $…then some great short kicks, was a solid debut for sure…think he set up Aitken? For that try…decent go to player for Asi to pass into a gap…def linking up with Walsh should help him get a contract…some good D and chase in cover D too

Reactions: 6 users
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
The Cowboys fans were very interested in how Asi would fare for the warriors and tracked his performance - here are the comments from their forum

• For mine, you couldn't have asked for a better debut from Asi so far.

Big booming kick on him, good defence and great kick for the try
  • Been a great game from Asi given the circumstances
  • Big tackle by Asi. I don't get why we didn't give him more of a chance. Kid had all the skills, best of all a long kicking game which you generally either have or you dont.
  • It's easy getting up for this game where he is trying to earn the respect of his new team. You'd be flabbergasted if he wasn't putting in a big shift in this game.
  • What a ball by Asi
  • Beautiful Asi
  • Asi has kept Warriors in it with all his play
  • Needed an Asi long kick there
  • Asi very bad error. Out on the full! Going to cost the Warriors the game probably.
  • Poor Asi, has to make up for it somehow
  • Should defend an error
  • How'd Asi go?
  • Very good IMO
  • Better than any game he ever played for us, with the possible exception of his debut vs the Panthers
  • In all fairness Asi only got to play 10 games for us. Let me just say I feel he maybe didn’t get the same opportunities as others. The base of a quality half was there but we never really seriously considered him as a long term option imo
  • Asi looked really good in the blue Warriors jersey, at home tbh…I always like bigger body halves, want to see them kick on.
    What about that first long kick into space by him-seen that before $…then some great short kicks, was a solid debut for sure…think he set up Aitken? For that try…decent go to player for Asi to pass into a gap…def linking up with Walsh should help him get a contract…some good D and chase in cover D too
Interesting comment about his previous best also being his debut game for the cows.

defensivebomb

defensivebomb

this is the comment that feels a little all-too-familiar:
I sincerely hope he is the answer for us. He certainly looks like decent insurance for Chanel Harris-Tavita's signature

Reactions: 1 user
Toookey

Toookey

If you ignore the match winning field goals, Chanel Harris-Tavita has been more impactful than Shaun Johnson this season. He's one of the first players picked at the moment for me.

It’s funny how we chose to see things. Not including Chanel’s game at fb, both he and Shaun Johnson have played 6 games in the halves this year.
Chanel has 3 try assists, 0 line breaks, 2 line break assists, 3 forced drop outs and 2 40/20s and no field goals.

Shaun Johnson has 4 try assists, 1 line break, 5 line break assists, 4 forced drop outs, 0 40/20s and has iced the game with 2x field goals for us.

Similar amount of missed tackles, although it’s fairly obvious Chanel Harris-Tavita is much better in this department than Shaun Johnson.

So it’s quiet interesting. I also feel that Shaun Johnson hasn’t been playing well and have been on the Chanel Harris-Tavita wagon but when you look at it objectively, it’s not really that close and Shaun Johnson is playing better, despite most of us not thinking that’s the case

Reactions: 4 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

It’s funny how we chose to see things. Not including Chanel’s game at fb, both he and Shaun Johnson have played 6 games in the halves this year.
Chanel has 3 try assists, 0 line breaks, 2 line break assists, 3 forced drop outs and 2 40/20s and no field goals.

Shaun Johnson has 4 try assists, 1 line break, 5 line break assists, 4 forced drop outs, 0 40/20s and has iced the game with 2x field goals for us.

Similar amount of missed tackles, although it’s fairly obvious Chanel Harris-Tavita is much better in this department than Shaun Johnson.

So it’s quiet interesting. I also feel that Shaun Johnson hasn’t been playing well and have been on the Chanel Harris-Tavita wagon but when you look at it objectively, it’s not really that close and Shaun Johnson is playing better, despite most of us not thinking that’s the case
I said ignoring the field goals.

So how is that not close? Those stats look bang on even.

That's also not taking into account all Shaun Johnson's set play fuck ups that absolutely kill momentum with passes at the bootlaces etc. He's been clunky in most of the games played.

I'm not hating on him, it's just my opinion that (outside of those buzzer beaters) Chanel Harris-Tavita has been better. And you can't "objectively" say otherwise.