General Ali Lauiti'iti

This is a thread for us old school Warriors fans. For many years I had watched union and league but it wasn't until Ali came along that I discovered no amount of toughness, no amount of coaching and no amount of structure could ever contain an athlete so freakish he broke all the rules. What are your memories of Ali ? I remember watching him at Penrith when he had 5 defenders trying to push him across the touchline and he offloaded back infield and was smiling while he did it. I have never seen anything like it. Any Ali memories from you old school folks ?

This is a thread for us old school Warriors fans. For many years I had watched union and league but it wasn't until Ali came along that I discovered no amount of toughness, no amount of coaching and no amount of structure could ever contain an athlete so freakish he broke all the rules. What are your memories of Ali ? I remember watching him at Penrith when he had 5 defenders trying to push him across the touchline and he offloaded back infield and was smiling while he did it. I have never seen anything like it. Any Ali memories from you old school folks ?
I always remembered he had the ability to twist his body to get an offload. He was so hard to stop and contain. Very agile for such a big man. The Michael Jordon of league because he made the hard stuff look so easy. The closest player I can think of is Jason Taumalolo at his peak.

One of the best, i was devastated when he left such a talent that could have slotted into every single club in the Nrl. Some of his offloads and that flick pass before Benji was insane. Just His general ball playing, athleticism and his size were incredible, players Like Inglis and Lauitiiti don't come round very often.
They also carry themselves well real humble unlike some of these younger characters.

One of the best, i was devastated when he left such a talent that could have slotted into every single club in the Nrl. Some of his offloads and that flick pass before Benji was insane. Just His general ball playing, athleticism and his size were incredible, players Like Inglis and Lauitiiti don't come round very often.
They also carry themselves well real humble unlike some of these younger characters.
He was the best at one thing... tearing structured defences apart. Teams who spent all week thinking they had their opposition sorted.. then this big lad.. who had as bigger step off his right foot as he did his left would leave them cross eyed. Ali is the greatest ball carrying forward I have ever seen. If you want a comparison Greg Inglis is the best ball carrying back I have ever seen.

He was the best at one thing... tearing structured defences apart. Teams who spent all week thinking they had their opposition sorted.. then this big lad.. who had as bigger step off his right foot as he did his left would leave them cross eyed. Ali is the greatest ball carrying forward I have ever seen. If you want a comparison Greg Inglis is the best ball carrying back I have ever seen.
Everyone remembers GI... Ali was his equivalent

Ali could have been even better if he had of played more NRL - such a shame.
He was a superstar of the Otahuhu 1st XV - they won the 1A comp - unusual for a co-Ed school.
Ali was second five eight with Orene Ai’i at first five - they were unstoppable!

I remember when he left the comments sections on various news sites that were full of comments that he wouldn't last in the UK, would get homesick, he'll be back soon.

They were all proved wrong.

He ended up having a great career over there. Was over there for a long time, and won championships.

He was just a loveable freak whose talent was just wasted by the club management.
My outstanding memory of him is when he made a decent line break and was going to get caught not far before the line.
Stacey Jones had been following up and was catching him as well, Ali just flipped the ball behind his back to Stacey, without looking!!!!
Stacey scored under the posts..
Stacey had been calling to him of course so Ali knew he was there, somewhere.
Stacey said afterwards he knew the ball would come from somewhere, and it did.
Warrior ball at its best.
I have tried to find it on YouTube.
The only pass that I can recall that was anything like it was the flip pass that Benji Marshall made in the 2005 GF try of the century.

Ali was a tremendous ball player could pop a pass out while 2/3 guys were tackling him. Used to absolutely love watching him play particuarly at MSS.

In my view better than SBW.

The player Sonny Bill Williams says he tried to emulate.

I was happy to see him sent off properly by Leeds and Kiwis in a joint Haka.

The ESL were so fortunate to see him and all his magic.

You have to wonder what would have happened had he gone to a team like the Storm.

The player Sonny Bill Williams says he tried to emulate.

I was happy to see him sent off properly by Leeds and Kiwis in a joint Haka.

The ESL were so fortunate to see him and all his magic.

You have to wonder what would have happened had he gone to a team like the Storm.
SBW said that.
That’s beautiful

Ali was a tremendous ball player could pop a pass out while 2/3 guys were tackling him. Used to absolutely love watching him play particuarly at MSS.

Interesting point of view.
His talent was over the top, just like SBW.
However SBW benefited from excellent management and coaching, both in league and yawnion.
Ali got yelled at by Anderson, and horribly insulted by Mick Watson.
Heyzeuss what could have been?

Reactions: kos

However SBW benefited from excellent management and coaching, both in league and yawnion.
heyzeuss what could have been?
Round 23 Nzw v broncos 2002 it’s on you tube
That is the one.I forgot Stacey passed it to Ivan

heyzeuss what could have been?

That is the one.I forgot Stacey passed it to Ivan
I had to watch it twice to figure how they did it
Then I realised Ali just chucked it behind him Stacey got it then to Ivan who scored

Back