General Are our opponents stepping up against us?

Is it all us or them?

• Opposition have hit form against us

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High quality contests with the better side winning

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Across the last few rounds most teams average high 70% completion and 10+ errors per game.

In the 4 games I expected us to win going into the match our opposition has gone:

Knights 91% completion 4 errors
Cowboys 84% and 8 errors
Manly 84% and 7 errors
Tigers 90% and 7 errors

Top quality stats from our opponents.

In all 4 games I felt the standard has been high with neither side having a shocker. Typically against lower teams it’s so poor that whoever controls the ball can win! Our opponents have been up for the fight

So question - have we met teams that have all performed very well and played above average against us (we are unlucky) or is our level so ordinary that the opposition isn’t having to push themselves against us?

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
But whats so special about this? of course your going to step up against a team your not intimidated by. If we forced errors and hit them hard like some others have said they could panic but man we've also been real soft against these teams and let them get away with so much shit.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Across the last few rounds most teams average high 70% completion and 10+ errors per game.

In the 4 games I expected us to win going into the match our opposition has gone:

Knights 91% completion 4 errors
Cowboys 84% and 8 errors
Manly 84% and 7 errors
Tigers 90% and 7 errors

Top quality stats from our opponents.

In all 4 games I felt the standard has been high with neither side having a shocker. Typically against lower teams it’s so poor that whoever controls the ball can win! Our opponents have been up for the fight

So question - have we met teams that have all performed very well and played above average against us (we are unlucky) or is our level so ordinary that the opposition isn’t having to push themselves against us?

These stats tell me we don’t put them under any pressure when they have the ball

We just stand and watch

So no, they don’t step their game up.

Our defensive strategy is flawed.

mtsmart

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2013
Warriors defense has always been passive. It just seems like when opposing teams start a set inside their 25, they reach the Warriors 25 with 1 or 2 tackles remaining whereas the Warriors appear to struggle to make it to halfway in a similar situation. Is there a stat which says how many metres teams make post-contact? Just seems like the Warriors tacklers really find it difficult to stop the ball-carrier.

ArtySubs

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 29, 2016
I reckon a better question is why does every average kiwi/Tonga/Samoan/ex warrior player seem to step up against us?
Average for 25 rounds then play the warriors carve up SKD latest example on weekend.

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Is there a stat which says how many metres teams make post-contact?

Many more team stats on the NRL site.

In particular look at the Decoys, Support, Lines Engaged Stats for our team in comparison with others. Its not the defense that is bad, our attack is pretty woeful(especially last tackle options/kicks) which results in us having to do more defense than other teams.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Our defense is soft against the weaker teams. We only win when they don't show up ready for a fight.

It's almost as if they are getting on drugs before the "easy" games, and they straighten up for the "hard" games.

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2016
2 things...

1) In defence we never attack the point of the ball. We smother, we don't hit or fold the opposition in half. We don't force mistakes.

2) Teams know if they don't beat themselves they will most likely win.
3) Penalties against us don't count as errors.

We have been lazy in defence, trying to only commit 2 in the tackle, 3 comes in too late so it is never dominant - also a tackler peeling off before the tackle is even properly complete.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Opens up the forum sees the question asked in this thread title.

Answers yes. As false belief that we are so good that the other teams need to be at their best to stop us helps me through the week until game time.

No need to thank me all we've been through this for 20 years. Besides the few where the opposition did have to actually step up against us.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Opens up the forum sees the question asked in this thread title.

Answers yes. As false belief that we are so good that the other teams need to be at their best to stop us helps me through the week until game time.

No need to thank me all we've been through this for 20 years. Besides the few where the opposition did have to actually step up against us.
Actually i think you have it the wrong way round, the warriors used to be Giant killers, remember the days. Then they would get their arses handed to them by bottom dwellers. Its like they only wanted to step up for the big games. Admittedly in the last five years that trend has been going the other way and they have just gotten their arse kicked by everyone.

I would love to compare todays speed of the game against that of the early 2000's but its not doable with all the rule interpretation changes. IMO the stats become meaningless, even as recently as last year there is differences affecting the way the game is being played. To me its all subjective. And subjectively IMO its the forwards getting rolled thats creating the drama. Bring back the days when the warriors used to hurt the opposition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Last Game

13 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 11 ratings